Sign in with
Your question

8800GTS 640MB – Stock VS Overclocked

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 2, 2007 8:32:24 PM

Hi, guys. I’m going to buy the EVGA 8800GTS KO ACS3 640MB - GPU 580MHz and memory 1.7GHz (effective). I want to know, how much the performance increase over the stock one and is it worth the extra money? :? Please help.
Thanks for reading. Any suggestion will be helpful. Thanks in advance.:D 
May 2, 2007 9:30:19 PM

there is quiet diffrence with overclocked card. i would recommed that you buy overclocked card because it's under warrenty. some people might suggest buying stock speed card and overclock it. but it depends on personal choice. i bought factory overclocked card con you pay more money.
May 2, 2007 10:02:12 PM

Overclocking is covered under eVGA's( and a few other's) warranty. I'm not sure if the cost increase is worth it if OCing is covered. Personally, I am going with a vanilla 8800GTS(eVGA).
Related resources
May 3, 2007 11:16:59 AM

Thanks guys. :D 
May 3, 2007 11:39:03 AM

I got a BFG OC2 GTS 640MB and can tell you that the overclock makes a heck of a difference. I installed ATItool and underclocked it to stock clock speeds and noticed a marked difference immediately, especially in 3DMark '06. Moreover I managed to overclock it further to 600MHz clock speed and 2.03GHz mem speed (DDR). When you buy a factory OC card you're buying something that is guaranteed to work flawlessly at those speeds with maybe some headroom, I'd say go for it. However, if u're buying now I'd suggest waiting for the R600 to come out if you've waited for so long. Whichever one u'll end up buying prices are sure to come down cause it will bring some direct competition to the GTS.
May 3, 2007 5:39:06 PM

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I can’t wait because I’m buying it through my uncle in London as it is not available in my country and he is coming on 6th May. So no time to wait. :(  Thanks again for the reply. :D  :D 
May 3, 2007 6:33:32 PM

There is no doubt a difference between the OC and non OC cards. What I was saying is, if OCing is covered under the warranty, I see no reason in paying the $50 increase for something that I could easily do in Coolbits. BTW, Coolbits is one of the easiest overclocking utilities I have ever used. It got my GeForce 6800 up to 445/ 1500 over the stock 325/ 1200. What a difference it made in COD2. That and changing from DX9 to DX7. 100 point FPS increase :wink:
May 3, 2007 7:58:42 PM

Don't tell me that you enjoyed the graphics more in DX7 than in DX9 though. For me DX7 was absolutely disgusting. However, if u play competitively DX7 is the way to go.
May 3, 2007 8:26:09 PM

Personally, I don't notice a difference in COD2 between the two. I play online so frame rate is everything and with an aging comp, I need every advantage.lol.
May 3, 2007 8:34:43 PM

Hehe, you really should upgrade and see it in all its glory then, it really is a sight to behold when the bullets are really flying.
May 3, 2007 9:56:08 PM

I played in DX9 for a while, but couldn't stand the below 60 FPS that I was getting(damn P4). Like I said in my first post, I am upgrading in June/July to an 8800GTS(actually an entirely new computer), so I'll be much better off.
May 3, 2007 11:22:06 PM

I don't have a 640MB GTS but my 320MB GTS plays everything maxxed for me at 12x10 resolution at stocks speeds but I kick the speeds up to ~640 Core and 2000 Memory just for heck of it.

Of course I have to load the OC everytime with ATItool... :?
May 4, 2007 6:19:29 AM

With ATItool you can automate the process. Check in the options, you can set it that it automatically loads the overclocked setting whenever a 3d application is loaded and to go back to the original settings when the app is closed. It worked fine with me, you should try it out. I ended up underclocking it for normal use and overclocking it for gaming, it's working fine so far.
May 4, 2007 8:46:30 AM

Quote:
With ATItool you can automate the process. Check in the options, you can set it that it automatically loads the overclocked setting whenever a 3d application is loaded and to go back to the original settings when the app is closed. It worked fine with me, you should try it out. I ended up underclocking it for normal use and overclocking it for gaming, it's working fine so far.

Nice tip man! i didn't know that! :D 
May 4, 2007 10:24:14 AM

Can you guys tell me that, is it possible to OC the EVGA 8800GTS KO ACS3 640MB with the stock cooling. As it has exceptional cooling technology, so is it possible to OC it more than 580MHz and 1700MHz without upgrading the cooling system. :?: And how does nTune perform in OC. Thanks for reading. :)  Any suggestion will be helpful. Thanks in advance. :D 
May 4, 2007 10:44:55 AM

hehe no prob m8, u're welcome
May 4, 2007 10:46:42 AM

ntune is good for overclocking your system, if only to find your optimum settings and then enter them manually into the bios.

As for OC'ing the graphic card I prefer ATItool, it stresses your graphic card much more (79C in ati tool vs 71 under 3dmark 06 full load).
May 5, 2007 4:15:43 PM

Quote:
ntune is good for overclocking your system, if only to find your optimum settings and then enter them manually into the bios.

Hold on! You can enter the card speeds in the Bios? You sure? I didn't know that! How do you do that?
May 5, 2007 4:22:18 PM

woah relax, i was talking about memory and fsb settings for the mobo. I used ntune to overclock all my system, sorry to get your hopes up high for nothing.
May 5, 2007 5:18:33 PM

Quote:
woah relax, i was talking about memory and fsb settings for the mobo. I used ntune to overclock all my system, sorry to get your hopes up high for nothing.

No worries mate. Knew it was too good to be true...
May 5, 2007 5:26:17 PM

it's not like there's a ton of option in a video card bios anyway, unless you really want to mess the memory timings etc, which I really advise against.
!