8800 ultra review

desidude006

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
nV is taking advantage of their dominance in the high end gpu sector. The economic vacuum created by Amd missing in action is huge and Nvidia is taking advantage of that. nV is basically ripping everyone off with this card.

malphadour

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Its the same question as "is a Ferrari worth the money". If you want and can afford the best then yes, if you are sensible or poor (like me) then no. People will buy these for kudos.

nV is taking advantage of their dominance in the high end gpu sector. The economic vacuum created by Amd missing in action is huge and Nvidia is taking advantage of that. nV is basically ripping everyone off with this card.

Yeah and because of that vacuum they decided to rush the Ultra out at a ridiculous price no one would buy, just at the time the R600 launches. Doesn't sound like there will be a vacuum by the time you can buy one.

But for those who like to imagine that nV is launching something new every 6 months they need this card for PR purposes, so here's their 6 month product launch, just don't expect to see any ro anyone non-nVidia related pretend this is anything new. Heck they didn't even upgrade the memory or anything at least the GF7800Ultra was a physical change.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
If the 2900XT is released on the 14th, releasing this 8800Ultra with nothing more than some increased clockspeed is a marvellously cheap way for Nvidia to have a go at crowing about the new card beating ATI.

Good marketing tactics - it doesn't really matter if many people buy them because they've cost ah heck all extra to introduce.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Performance increase is mediocre. I think the only reason we're seeing an Ultra is because the XTX 2900 allegedly couldn't compete with the GTX and was suspended from release.

My guess is we'll see the 8900 / 8950 (if still called that) sometime around the release of the XTX. There's no incentive for Nvidia to release new cards when they have the market in the bag.

Also, with DX10.1 upon us, I wouldn't pay lots of money for a DX10 card as from what I've read, DX10.1 requires an upgraded card design (again!).

So, until then my monies staying in my pocket.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Surely anyone with a decent amount of money to burn or going for bragging rights already has at least one 8800gtx, if theyve only got one they will be looking at a bigger hike in performance by getting a second one and going SLI, If theyve already got 2 are they going to pay for 2x8800ultras for the small headroom? Thats a LOT of money for a very minor upgrade.

If someones stretched for money building their new system they'd be a mug to go for this card instead of more ram or a better processor or a disk upgrade.

No doubt there will be a few takers. But come upgrade time in October Im more likelly to look at a second 8800gtx as the most economical way to push my performance.

I am also thinking if this is a minor silicon refresh that allows more overclocking headroom, will this silicon find its way into the standard 8800GTX? will Nvidia be making two different G80 cores at once, or will the GTX quietly get the same silicon before too long?

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Oh my not another should I buy this post...

It's not worth it... you can buy 2x8800GTS

lol....where in that did i mention i was going to buy it? :p

I was just posting a valid review...which hadnt been posted in this forums yet. Also, note that i myself said no its not worth it, so why would i want to get one :roll: some people just dont see the bigger picture.. :roll:

the only other performance review here was one of a 8800GTX being oc'd to the ultra specs.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
It's obviously unanimous around the net that the Ultra is way overpriced. This is a ridiculous post.

and as for that the ultra is selling for the same price the GTX was in the UK, so for some UK spendthrifts this is just as costly as the GTX was at its launch..and look how many of those sold.

I was just posting the information, nothing more :p

If you dont like...dont post.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
It's obviously unanimous around the net that the Ultra is way overpriced. This is a ridiculous post.

and as for that the ultra is selling for the same price the GTX was in the UK, so for some UK spendthrifts this is just as costly as the GTX was at its launch..and look how many of those sold.

I was just posting the information, nothing more :p

If you dont like...dont post.

I brought my 8800GTX early December for just £340 a quick look through my normal sites is telling me this card starts for £500 for £100 more I can get 2x8800GTX's today.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
Is the performance edge of a QX6800 worth twice as much as an Q6600?
People buy 1000$ cpus, why not 800$ graphics?
If you want the cherry on top it's always at a premium.

Personaly i think everything above 400$ for 1 component is insane.
But then again I bought a 24inch LCD for 1000$.

The better question would be "What should NVIDIA have offered for the 250$ price premium over the GTX to make it interesting?"

650MHz factory clock?
Software shader overclocking?
No warranty void on overclocking?

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
For me I think a £200 price premium which is what we are looking at in the UK I would be wanting a 25-30% performance increase over the previous top card.

blade85

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I brought my 8800GTX early December for just £340 a quick look through my normal sites is telling me this card starts for £500 for £100 more I can get 2x8800GTX's today.

where do u get 2X8800 GTX for £600?? The cheapest i can find is about £340 going upto £520 for the watercooled option.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Surely anyone with a decent amount of money to burn or going for bragging rights already has at least one 8800gtx, if theyve only got one they will be looking at a bigger hike in performance by getting a second one and going SLI.

SLI is cpu limited though that why often you see small gains only.

DX10.1 is quite a big revision focused on producing cinematic quality and higher performance. Check out the MS site for details.