How do you know...

I've downloaded a bunch of add-ons, but many of them do not include a readme
file where I can find out where to copy these files to. And in some cases,
the readme files don't even give any installation instructions. So, I'd
like to know from you guys if there is a general rule as to where to place
these files; either in the Res addon folder or Ofp addon folder.

Also, I downloaded and installed a bunch of files into the Res addon folder.
However, whenever I start the game I receive a message telling me that
so-n-so file is missing. I even tried moving these files to the other
add-on folder, but without luck.

--
Mofaz
skyryder@SHOVEITUPYOURASS.cox.net

Mofaz wrote:
> I've downloaded a bunch of add-ons, but many of them do not include a readme
> file where I can find out where to copy these files to. And in some cases,
> the readme files don't even give any installation instructions. So, I'd
> like to know from you guys if there is a general rule as to where to place
> these files; either in the Res addon folder or Ofp addon folder.
>
> Also, I downloaded and installed a bunch of files into the Res addon folder.
> However, whenever I start the game I receive a message telling me that
> so-n-so file is missing. I even tried moving these files to the other
> add-on folder, but without luck.

As a general rule it seems to be better to put addons into the
OPF\addons folder rather than the OFP\res\addons folder.

I sometimes get the annoying error message you describe but often find
that you can play the mission anyway.

"Mofaz" <skyryder@SHOVEITUPYOURASS.cox.net> wrote in message
> I've downloaded a bunch of add-ons, but many of them do not include a
> readme file where I can find out where to copy these files to. And in
> some cases, the readme files don't even give any installation
> instructions. So, I'd like to know from you guys if there is a general
> rule as to where to place these files; either in the Res addon folder or
> Ofp addon folder.
>
> Also, I downloaded and installed a bunch of files into the Res addon
> folder. However, whenever I start the game I receive a message telling me
> that so-n-so file is missing. I even tried moving these files to the
> other add-on folder, but without luck.

Try putting ALL your addons in one folder.

Use a Mod folder...

Create a folder in your root OFP folder named "mod1". Within "mod1" create
another folder named "AddOns". Put your addons in there, the "AddOns"
folder.

Copy your OFP Resistance start-up icon.

Right click on the copy of the icon, go to properties (I think), and add the
switches"

"D:\ . . .
\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE" -nosplash; -mod=mod1

Now when you load OFP from that icon, the game will only load those addons
that are in your OFP/AddOns, your OFP/Res/AddOns, and your OFP/mod1/AddOns
folders.

Best to keep your OFP/AddOns and OFP/Res/AddOns clear of non-B.I.S. addons,
in my opinion.

Using this, you can put all of your Vietnam addons in one folder, your WW2
in another folder, etc.

The -nosplash switch will also turn off the splash screens at start-up.

"Uziyahu" <NNOSPAMMuziyahu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Use a Mod folder...

Absolutely, mod folders are the best way to go.

Go to the Avon Lady's OFP FAQ and do a search for "mod". That will teach
you all you need to know.

http://www.theavonlady.org/theofpfaq/

All you really have to do is go to your C:\Program
Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint folder, and create a new folder.
This
will be your mod folder.

For example, I have one called "Vietnam", and I put all of my Vietnam OFP
stuff in it.

Inside your mod folder, creater a folder called AddOns. Put the addons
you
want to use with that mod in that folder.

I have a bunch of mod folders, and I use Kegety's OFP launcher when I play
OFP. That's a neat and handy device that allows you to pick and choose
the
mods you've created simply by checking a box. You want to use Llaumax
skies
with Hi res ground, a soundpack of your choice, and load your Vietnam
missions and addons? No problem, just check all of those boxes. You just
want Vietnam stuff and a soundpack, skipping the other mods? No
prob--just
check those two boxes.

You can get Kegety's Launcher (and some other neat stuff) here:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/kegetys/ofp/index.php?p=others

It has removed 2147 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

Thanx for your help, Communique and Uziyahu. I'll look into that. However,
for now I have just moved all of the add-ons I downloaded and installed into
the Res add-on folder into the OFP add-on folder. Perhaps later I'll tinker
with the add-ons the way you both suggested.

--

> Thanx for your help, Communique and Uziyahu. I'll look into that.
> However, for now I have just moved all of the add-ons I downloaded and
> installed into the Res add-on folder into the OFP add-on folder.
Perhaps
> later I'll tinker with the add-ons the way you both suggested.

You should seriously do the mod folders. If you get a lot of addons in
one
folder that OFP is using, you will actually experience lag in your game
play. By using the mod folders, OFP ignores addons that you are not
using.

For example, let's say you want to play a mission that uses the BAS
addons.
You could have all of them in the BAS mod folder, and by using Kegety's
launcher, you'll only "load" (I think the correct term is "map") those BAS
addons and not all that Vietnam and I44 and all those other 3rd party
addons
you've downloaded over a span of time.

Basicly, by using mod folders, OFP has to do less "work" in keeping up
with
everything, and if you have a lot of addons in one folder, the work that
OFP
does with them will actually slow down your game play.

AddOns are really easy. Believe me. You just create a mod folder, then
you
create an addon folder inside of that mod foler. Then, you use Kegety's
launcher so that OFP knows which mod folders to use.

It's that simple.

Once you get comfortable with mods, you can put your campaigns and other
things into the mod folder as well.

C.

It has removed 2214 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!