long - short - short - short

Dakre14

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Hi ;) my new build doesn't POST and tries to talk to me... i have an Award Bios and googled... long - short - short - short means there is something wrong with my video card? i really think i have it properly installed...

i am using an Asus P5N-E Sli nForce 650i, 6600 Core2Duo and a XFX 8800GTS with 320 MB... i connected the 6 pin Power connector and my PSU should be able to handle it as well ( OCZ 600W GameXstream )...
all components are brand new... any ideas? should i get an additional graphics card and an additional PSU to test?

big thanks in advance

srobertw

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
Hi ;) my new build doesn't POST and tries to talk to me... i have an Award Bios and googled... long - short - short - short means there is something wrong with my video card? i really think i have it properly installed...

i am using an Asus P5N-E Sli nForce 650i, 6600 Core2Duo and a XFX 8800GTS with 320 MB... i connected the 6 pin Power connector and my PSU should be able to handle it as well ( OCZ 600W GameXstream )...
all components are brand new... any ideas? should i get an additional graphics card and an additional PSU to test?

big thanks in advance

Well, actually, it is POST'ing or you wouldn't get the beep code (POST stands for Power On Self Test). It's just not booting because it isn't detecting a video adaptor.

First, try pulling and reseating your video card. While you have the card out of the machine, check all the contacts to make sure they are clean and undamaged. Also, examine the contacts in the PCI-E slot. If you still get the beep code and no boot, you should try a known good video card.

You can ensure that the PCI-E voltage is good by using an auto-ranging multimeter. Connect the PCI-E power to the video card and start the machine. Touch the black lead of the meter to a common ground (such as a case screw), and touch the red lead to the 12V PCI-E wire at the point where it mates to the connector (the copper connecter just inside the top of the PCI-E connector). If you're getting a solid +12V, then it's not a power supply issue.