Sign in with
Your question

Dirt Cheap LanPC

Last response: in Systems
May 3, 2007 12:53:23 AM

Just me being bored and curious; Any suggestions?
Lightweight, for playing at 1280x1024, CSS, WOW, FEAR; no OC

My controversial picks:

Combo Deal: $130
Athlon 64 3400+
ASUS mATX 939
WD 200gig

PQi PC3200 1gig $65

Antec SuperLanboy lightweight case $80
FSP AX450 PSU
Sapphire X1650Pro $55
Arctic Cooling Alpine 64 CPU cooler $15

TOTAL: $345

good? 9393939393939933939393939393939393939393939 ??

More about : dirt cheap lanpc

May 3, 2007 1:09:33 AM

should be fine, and you can't really go wrong for the price.
May 3, 2007 1:40:52 AM

Quote:
should be fine, and you can't really go wrong for the price.

I like that.... thats EXACTLY what i would say
Related resources
May 3, 2007 1:51:26 AM

well, it wasn't the most insightful post ever or anything, but i'm glad to please :) 

i wouldn't mind having it myself, so that means that its good :wink:
May 3, 2007 1:58:13 AM

Quote:
well, it wasn't the most insightful post ever or anything, but i'm glad to please :) 

i wouldn't mind having it myself, so that means that its good :wink:

Yep, my philosophies as well.

I just want to see if other ppl on the forum could get it into their c2d good, 939 is bad mindsets, that this machine aint that shabby
May 3, 2007 2:07:33 AM

its not, by any means, its just that other people are making more of an investment when they buy/build most of the time, and they want their stuff to last. but you're just throwing together something to take to LAN parties, and you don't really need to sink $800 into it. it just depends on the games you wanna play. and you'll be good.
May 3, 2007 2:09:48 AM

Quote:
its not, by any means, its just that other people are making more of an investment when they buy/build most of the time, and they want their stuff to last. but you're just throwing together something to take to LAN parties, and you don't really need to sink $800 into it. it just depends on the games you wanna play. and you'll be good.

Your avatar is calling to me...... is it zim?
May 3, 2007 2:14:27 AM

Quote:
Seems like a nice set-up. maybe try G.skill ram??
G.Skill Ram

Whatever, sure no difference really
May 3, 2007 2:28:53 AM

the set-up in the above edit for AM2 i suggested for ya is currently what I am using right now with the g.skill ram and is on stock clock and i am more than pleased...and in the near future I might Oc even though there is no need to for me right now and I know that The CPU has Oc potential for future :) 
May 3, 2007 2:37:23 AM

Quote:
the set-up in the above edit for AM2 i suggested for ya is currently what I am using right now with the g.skill ram and is on stock clock and i am more than pleased...and in the near future I might Oc even though there is no need to for me right now and I know that The CPU has Oc potential for future :) 

But i wanted to be different :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: 
May 3, 2007 2:45:47 AM

it's great to be different but I think the combo for the price compared to your 939 combo Kicks it out of the ring.
All I am saying is You'll get a noticable performance for $20 more . If you choose this you wont be dissapointed!
I know I am not especially when on low budget...
(by the way this build destroys my 3500+ 939 set up) especially when multitasking
May 3, 2007 2:52:58 AM

Quote:
it's great to be different but I think the combo for the price compared to your 939 combo Kicks it out of the ring.
All I am saying is You'll get a noticable performance for $20 more . If you choose this you wont be dissapointed!
I know I am not especially when on low budget...
(by the way this build destroys my 3500+ 939 set up) especially when multitasking

Actually that ECS mobo doesnt OC. Right? Anyhow 939 and DDR1 is RETRO
May 3, 2007 7:32:13 AM

ECS is crap 8O Whoops :lol:  They used to have Biostars in the combo, I bought that one. Why buy crap with crappy onboard graphics?
May 3, 2007 8:25:41 AM

Quote:
Seems like a nice set-up. maybe try G.skill ram??
G.Skill Ram

what about this set up just for a few more bucks more and get a pretty darn good performace even if you dont OC.

ECS MOBO AM2
3600+ X2
Western Digital 200gb
Combo price Combo Price: $149.99

G.skill DDR2 800 -$62.99

i have just done that build (except with a 690G mobo w/ on board GPU) for a home Lan server it arrived yesterday so will hopefully benchmark it tomorrow! to see whatits capable of then wipe it and stick linux on it so it can run as a file store

All praise prices at the moment!!!
May 3, 2007 12:10:23 PM

Good price. Have you tried pricing out one at mwave.com? Maybe one of the Shuttles or similiar...
May 3, 2007 1:29:19 PM

Some ECS mobos do overklock like the KN1 Elite for the 939 Socket where i clocked the 3500 @2.53. then again different socket.
May 3, 2007 8:08:04 PM

yeah, you get bonus points for using retro parts, didn't you know that, trencin?!

the build will do what billdcat4 wants it to: play games like FEAR and CSS and stuff. i've played all the games he says really well, on much worse equip., so this machine will be just fine for what he needs at the LAN parties he's talking about. notice he isn't saying, "LETS BUILD A MULTI-HUNDRED DOLLAR COMP THAT'LL LAST FOREVER!", he's saying, "i need something cheap for parties."

you MAY be able to find a similarly-nice AM2 combo, but again, what you've suggested WILL do.
May 4, 2007 7:12:48 PM

Quote:
ECS is crap 8O Whoops :lol:  They used to have Biostars in the combo, I bought that one. Why buy crap with crappy onboard graphics?

That ECS board has better graphics than the Asus board the OP originally asked about. Nvidia for the ECS, VIA for the Asus. :x The OP did not say anything about overclocking or anything and he is wanting this to be cheap so the Combo deal for the X2 3600+ with ECS board would work. I have used that board for a budget build for someone and it has been doing a good job for them. I wish they still had the biostar combo because that one was awesome. Really though if going to stick with onboard graphics, the new 690g boards would be a better fit. The OP mentioned gaming but no mention of a video card. VIA graphics on that Asus board will not be able to play any of the intended games at all. Dragon fable or adventure quest would be the limits of that via chipset's graphics. :lol:  Actually I can not see any of those games playing @1280 x 1024 on any onboard graphics. The 690g may be able to play WoW @1024x768 at decent settings but I would not think anything else more demanding than that. I would have to say 7600gt or x1650xt, I think that is what the ATI card is at that performance range, would be needed at a bare minimum for all the other games other than WoW. WoW you can get by with a 128bit, 256mb 7300gt. My backup system has the 7300gt, a 3000+ Athlon 64 winchester @2.5ghz and 2gb or ram and it plays WoW no problem @1280x1024 with max video settings.

Dude, I found like the best deal on a cheap GPU ever. Check the original post.

$50 for a Sapphire X1650 256mb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ive heard that it will perform better than a 7600gt, but that could have just been a fanboy.

So thats the video. As for the CPU and mobo AM2 combo, it doesnt make much of a difference, theyre good too.

Umm :oops:  :oops:  just so you know im not actually looking to buy. I just wondered what a system like this would look like. I did mention it though in the 1st sentence of my original post.

Getting past that, how would a Silverstone/AspireQpack/Thermaltake Lanbox case do? Would the cheap Aspire PSUs in the Qpacks work ok?
May 4, 2007 7:44:31 PM

well, bored and curious doesn't translate directly to "not buying," but i did pick that up and kept it in mind. that is an INSANE deal right there, if you ask me. i mean, thats $50!!! that is INSANE. you can go to walmart and i bet they'll be selling radeon 9500s for more than that :lol: 

i don't know much about cases as i have no experience in them... i've been reusing old cases as long as i've been in to computers. however, i have heard that its like a sin to use the included PSU in a build, so i'd stay away from that :lol: 
May 4, 2007 11:17:33 PM

aren't Lian Lis pretty expensive tho?
May 5, 2007 12:58:44 PM

If I were hosting said LAN Party, I would not allow you to enter...
May 5, 2007 1:04:29 PM

which is when one's heavy computer case can become a very persuasive tool :lol: 
!