Sign in with
Your question

Frustrated: Question About Networked Computer

Last response: in Networking
January 14, 2004 11:07:47 PM

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read and hopefully respond to my post. We have a network in the house where we share DSL (Verizon). We have a wireless system and we have run ethernet cables. All of the computers are running Windows ME or XP except for our problem computer, running Windows 2000. For some reason, the only Windows 2000 computer does not receive internet connectivity - it says it sends data, but does not receive it. We've tried changing ethernet cords, turn on/off router, etc, but to no avail.

We brought the computer into the local repair shop and they plugged it into their DSL and it connected instantaneously - what could be the problem? Any ideas?

Thanks for any and all help,
Darren
January 15, 2004 7:49:15 AM

Do you connect directly to the DSL router??? or via a LAN??? Also when they connected it in the computer shop was that direct or through a LAN???

Try doing a ping from it to another computer on the network, if that succeeds do a ping to 66.102.7.99, if that is a success then try pinging www.google.com.au. I happen to know that that address will respond to pings...

Let me know what the responses you received to the ping where...

With a 100 Million neurons in the brain vouching for it, it can't be wrong...
January 17, 2004 4:00:46 PM

I would guess that you have the wrong IP address. Go to a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes and you'll see the ip address. If this starts with 169 then your pc can not reach the router/dhcp server or the router has no more free addresses. Your machine will always send some traffic out even though it does not recieve any. If you know how to change the adress scope in you dhcp server (whether this is the router or whatever) you can look there.
You will need to give us more information about the network (excuse me if I assume too much or too little knowledge on your part.
So,
Do you know how to get into the console ("control panel") of the dhcp server (which I assume is your router)?
What is the IP address of the 2000 box and what is the IP address of one of the other computers (only need one of the others since they are all talking to each other)? It would be great if you could copy/paste the output of the ipconfig /all command from both the 2000 box and the other pc.
If you can get into the dhcp server (again, probably your router) can you find the "scope" i.e. the addresses given out by it?

If we get this information we should be able to help you with your problem.

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|
!