"Safely remove hardware" icon query

I have an icon which appears alongside the programmes which are running and
states "Safely remove hardware" and when I click on it I get the following
USB Smart Media Adapter, Manufacturer Microtech International.
I don't recognise this item so can I remove it ?

Blair
4 answers Last reply
More about safely remove hardware icon query

    Could this be your USB printer with a (camera) Memory card reader?
    Turn off the printer, does it go away?
    Anything else plugged into a USB port?

    "Blair" wrote:

    > I have an icon which appears alongside the programmes which are running and
    > states "Safely remove hardware" and when I click on it I get the following
    > USB Smart Media Adapter, Manufacturer Microtech International.
    > I don't recognise this item so can I remove it ?
    >
    > Blair

    I suggest that you leave it alone and don't use it. Using it will
    disable all of your USB ports.
    On Tue, 3 May 2005 16:58:23 +0100, "Blair"
    <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >I have an icon which appears alongside the programmes which are running and
    >states "Safely remove hardware" and when I click on it I get the following
    >USB Smart Media Adapter, Manufacturer Microtech International.
    >I don't recognise this item so can I remove it ?
    >
    >Blair

    It doesn't do thaat on my machine. It catches up on any writing to the
    particular device so that you can remove it without losing anything.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Dick Reuben" <dickre@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I suggest that you leave it alone and don't use it. Using it will
    > disable all of your USB ports.
    > On Tue, 3 May 2005 16:58:23 +0100, "Blair"
    > <pabm@brachd.fsnet.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an icon which appears alongside the programmes which are running
    >>and
    >>states "Safely remove hardware" and when I click on it I get the following
    >>USB Smart Media Adapter, Manufacturer Microtech International.
    >>I don't recognise this item so can I remove it ?
    >>
    >>Blair

    I have a card reader for my camera. I assume that will be it.
    Why it is showing this is a mystery.I will have to just ignore it
    Blair

    "Johnny_1" <Johnny1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could this be your USB printer with a (camera) Memory card reader?
    > Turn off the printer, does it go away?
    > Anything else plugged into a USB port?
    >
    > "Blair" wrote:
    >
    > > I have an icon which appears alongside the programmes which are running
    and
    > > states "Safely remove hardware" and when I click on it I get the
    following
    > > USB Smart Media Adapter, Manufacturer Microtech International.
    > > I don't recognise this item so can I remove it ?
    > >
    > > Blair

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP