New HD satellites from Directv

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 7, 2004 1:52:33 PM

I hear rumors that the new satellites that Directv are putting up next year
to carry more HD channels are not going to be compatible with existing
equipment (like the HDTivo and other set top boxes).

Does anyone know if this true? If it is true is there going to be a
workaround or should we be attempting to ditch our boxes on Ebay right now!

More about : satellites directv

Anonymous
December 7, 2004 5:02:20 PM

I heard that they are Ka band and that you may be correct on the DVR and
older receivers just not the last few generations of HD set-top boxes. I
heard they can be updated via software download. However, when you ditch
your receiver on ebay you lose out if they decide to offer you any sort
of rebate or trade-in and you will pay 100%.

--
charper1