Booting up Windows XP from OS menu

May 3, 2005 1:07:03 PM

I had to reinstall Windows XP on my computer, which seemed to work, but now I
can't get it to boot up without showing me what I think is the OS menu and I
don't know what option I should choose (safe mode, enable boot logging,
debugging mode, etc.) to get out of that menu screen and get the computer to
start up normally again.
Thanks

More about : booting windows menu

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 3:57:50 PM

Hi, sfmonty.

There are at least a couple of ways:

1. On that OS menu, choose Start Normally. This menu should not appear on
subsequent reboots. If it does...

2. Start | Run, enter msconfig.exe. On the General tab, make sure Normal
Startup is selected, then OK.

If the OS menu still appears on reboots, move on to...

3. System Properties | Advanced | Startup and Recovery \ Settings. In the
top of this window, select your default. If the choice is not obvious, you
may need to click the Edit button. This will open C:\boot.ini in Notepad so
that you can edit it. You have a lot of power with this method, but you
might want to choose the first method if you don't understand the Boot.ini
options. Or see an explanation of Boot.ini in this page from the online
version of the WinXP Resource Kit (URLs don't always land on the RK page I
expect, but it's in Chapter 28,Troubleshooting Startup):
Reviewing and Correcting Boot.ini Settings on x86-based Systems

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX