Sign in with
Your question

Poll: Will the ATI radeon 2900 HD XTX come out on May 14th?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Is the ATI Radeon 2900 HD XTX coming out May 14?

Total: 143 votes

• yes
  • 33 %
  • no
  • 68 %
May 3, 2007 2:44:52 AM

I was just bored and wanted to start a poll of what everyone thinks the status is of the XTX so we can see who's right and who's wrong come the 14th :D .
May 3, 2007 3:04:27 AM

It has to come out in May, else they are in big problems, the fans pattience doesn't last forever... :?
May 3, 2007 3:24:18 AM

Quote:
It has to come out in May, else they are in big problems, the fans pattience doesn't last forever... :?

Actually Stanley & Morgans patience doesn´t last forever.
Related resources
May 3, 2007 3:41:46 AM

No because only the XT is supposedly due on the 14th, the XTX will come later.

That's what I've heard anyway.
May 3, 2007 3:57:38 AM

xtx is slated for June and there are rumors of a q3 release for it, if it ever comes to see the light of day will be the amazing thing considering the xt is rumored to have just as good performance.
May 3, 2007 3:58:27 AM

lol yup that's the latest rumor. the HD 2900XT better come out some time in may, sooner better then later. May 25 is my 18 birthday :twisted: Maybe I can use it to my advantage and get it off my parents.
James
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 5:49:44 AM

Quote:
if it ever comes to see the light of day will be the amazing thing considering the xt is rumored to have just as good performance.

No you're confusing the GF8800Ultra with the GTX.

Either that or relying on a review where the reviewers themselves admitted they didn't actually have a real XTX.
May 3, 2007 11:08:14 AM

Maybe it will. Even if it comes out on the 14th, it won't be in stores right away.
May 3, 2007 11:34:58 AM

Quote:
xtx is slated for June and there are rumors of a q3 release for it, if it ever comes to see the light of day will be the amazing thing considering the xt is rumored to have just as good performance.

I would not be surprised if they cancelled the xtx, if it isn't much better than the xt. Although, a Q3 release of the xtx would suit me just fine. I've decided to wait until late this year, or early next year, to get my DX10 card.
May 3, 2007 12:37:41 PM

I'm going to say no. AMD would be dumb to release an inferior product that barely beats its own XT version by a few fps.
May 3, 2007 1:27:45 PM

Well, performance comparison has already been leaked, so they will probably release it sooner.
May 3, 2007 1:38:01 PM

Quote:
Well, performance comparison has already been leaked, so they will probably release it sooner.

WTF? Are you serious? "Leaked" information would not result in a product being launched earlier, besides I'm not confident those tests are even real and if something was leaked AMD would probably have done it on purpose to make consumers feel the urge to wait for them to release their card and no jump to buying a competitors card.
James
May 3, 2007 1:40:18 PM

The latest rumour is that the xtx will release in time for the 'duke nukem forever' launch....
May 3, 2007 1:56:14 PM

Quote:

WTF? Are you serious? "Leaked" information would not result in a product being launched earlier, besides I'm not confident those tests are even real and if something was leaked AMD would probably have done it on purpose to make consumers feel the urge to wait for them to release their card and no jump to buying a competitors card.
James

If they are real then it means that ATI has the final build and are manufacturing them to get the numbers ready for shipment. If the numbers aren't real, then ATI is getting ready to turn things upside down. Usually, benches weather real or not, are usually an indication that a product is close to release.
May 3, 2007 2:09:35 PM

lol yah I read that from a different point of view. :? I see what your saying.
James
May 3, 2007 2:30:22 PM

I hope this card comes out by the 15th because thats when I will get paid, hence, making my system purchase. I am going to buy an 8800 GTX but I sure as hell hope that as soon as I buy it, I dont regret it. Hurry up ATI, so I can discard you as soon as you release the card.
May 3, 2007 2:43:34 PM

Any word on the pricing? Will it be cheaper or more expensive compared to the 8800 GTX?
May 3, 2007 3:04:54 PM

Yeah, right.
I have doubts if it'll come out at all.
I heard the same thing all over again and again but nothing came up.
Thank god i bought a 640 gts two months ago.
I'm so disapointed from ATI.
I used to be a fan :? .
May 3, 2007 3:25:36 PM

The last I read, the XTX was delayed until Q3 because of troubles with its memory. Other than that, why should anyone expect it to come out on May 14th? After all, when was the last time AMD/ATI released a new product? Think hard, because its been awhile.
May 3, 2007 3:27:09 PM

Quote:
Any word on the pricing? Will it be cheaper or more expensive compared to the 8800 GTX?

There was a post somewhere on the boards about it. It's in one of the 2900HD post I just don't remember which one.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 3:33:12 PM

Quote:

There was a post somewhere on the boards about it. It's in one of the 2900HD post I just don't remember which one. Its MSRP is reportedly 399 USD. Look for it to come down, competing with the gts 640 prices, and thats for the XT not the xtx
May 3, 2007 3:39:25 PM

So basically, the XT is supposed to beat out the 8800 GTX and be priced around $400.

Sounds like something worth waiting a couple of extra days for.

Also, I read somewhere that nVidia plans on releasing the 8900 GTX when the R600 is released. In effect dropping the price of the 8800 GTX to $450. If thats the case, it seems plausible that the R600 will be available in that price range.
May 3, 2007 4:06:14 PM

No, the XT doesn't even come close to a GTX. As I recall, Dailytech's early bench showed it well behind a GTX.

Nvidia is in the process of releasing a 8800 GTX Ultra. Nothing I've read so far about the release of a 8900 series, though I would like it. Nvidia has had no real competition for the last several months, so has no reason to release better cards and lower the prices.
May 3, 2007 4:07:57 PM

having a hard time waiting? :roll:
May 3, 2007 4:24:22 PM

I just want to see AMD get back into the mix of things again...catch back up to Intel with their cpu's and Nvidia with their gpu's...fun stuff.
May 3, 2007 7:25:21 PM

Quote:
The current king of the crop, the 8800 GTX will drop in price to $450, while the Geforce 8800 GTS loaded with 640MB of memory stays up in the $400 price range.

Wouldn't that be a little goofy, since the performance is quite a bit different between the two? IMHO I would think it would be far worth it to spend the extra $50 and get quite a bit more performance.
May 3, 2007 9:16:12 PM

Quote:
No, the XT doesn't even come close to a GTX. As I recall, Dailytech's early bench showed it well behind a GTS.

Nvidia is in the process of releasing a 8800 GTX Ultra. Nothing I've read so far about the release of a 8900 series, though I would like it. Nvidia has had no real competition for the last several months, so has no reason to release better cards and lower the prices.

Is it me or did they update their site. First time I went there it was equal with both cards coming ontop in different benchmarks, HD 2900XT and the 8800GTS (640mb version). Now HD 2900xt beats it in everyone. So did they update the site with new drivers, or am I just going crazy.

James
May 3, 2007 9:54:11 PM

Quote:
No, the XT doesn't even come close to a GTX. As I recall, Dailytech's early bench showed it well behind a GTS.

Is it me or did they update their site. First time I went there it was equal with both cards coming ontop in different benchmarks, HD 2900XT and the 8800GTS (640mb version). Now HD 2900xt beats it in everyone. So did they update the site with new drivers, or am I just going crazy.

James

My fingers hit the wrong key when I was typing and I have now corrected it to say "Dailytech's early bench showed it well behind a GTX". And that bench (from Apr 26, 07) showed both the 2900 XT and XTX loosing to the 8800 GTX. If they tested the 2900 XT against a 8800 GTS 640 mb version, I haven't seen it yet.

Edit: I just got the review from the Ape and saw that the 2900 XT beat the 8800 GTS 640 in every bench. I hadn't seen this one before, so I don't know if they got new drivers and retested or not.
May 3, 2007 10:34:40 PM

Mine is pre-ordered, and will be on my doorstep Monday, May 14th. I also know for a fact that some e-tailers are already recieving shipments.
May 3, 2007 10:37:59 PM

Wow, I just looked at the poll results. Tell me, why don't you think they will be available? I know for a fact they will. With no real way to prove it of course other than showing everyone my pre-order reciept and tracking number which I deffinately won't untill I get it 11 days from now.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 10:40:21 PM

Quote:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37655

heres the link, have a look for yourself.

Nice, but I didn't see anything about a release date, unless my eyes are getting very bad and I missed it.

That was a February rumour.
Looks like it won't happen if the follow-up rumour of no 80nm G8Xs is true and they skip to 65nm for the G90 series (65nm for high end 45nm for mid/low later).

PS, here's DT's XT v GTS bog since you misplaced yours;
http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Radeon+HD+2900+XT+Performa...
May 3, 2007 10:44:49 PM

From what little I know. There is no XTX (currently).
The XTX that got sucky benchmarks was an early version (from months ago) and has memory issues.
the XT might come in May.
The fixed and completely different XTX might come in Q3 (if ever).
In any case. The working & released XT should be faster than the 8800GTS and the working & releasede XTX should be faster than the 8800GTX.

I'm personally waiting for the r700 which will be made of many smaller chips GPUs (rather than one huge chip) and be a whole lot faster (maybe only need one 6pin power cable). I don't expect this good ATI card until at least Sprint 2008.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 10:50:00 PM

Quote:
Wow, I just looked at the poll results. Tell me, why don't you think they will be available?

I didn't vote, but I'd have to say no, since there is no 2900 HD XTX, it's an HD2900XTX, but then again I also just hate st00pid Polls (and St00pid Poles too, the smart ones are cool tough).

Really in the end who cares? Like you said if yours is coming that's all that matters, not what DT says, Anand says, I say .... wait I take that last one back, always listen to me... and never put Salt in your Eyes !! :twisted:
May 3, 2007 10:54:42 PM

Quote:

PS, here's DT's XT v GTS bog since you misplaced yours;
http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Radeon+HD+2900+XT+Performa...

Thanks, now I have a place for that review and the 2900 XT looks pretty darn good in that one. Now, if only my 1900 XTX Toxic can hold out long enough and the price of the new 2900 XT isn't too high.
May 3, 2007 11:09:33 PM

I vote no because from what I've heard the chip partners aren't very happy with the XTX and will likely be ignoring it in favor of the XT.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 11:30:57 PM

AMD better come out with the 2900, cuz I have had to build 5 PC's around the 8800GTX/GTS already... I need a BETTER graphics card on the market! :twisted:

Btw: How many of you will switch to the 2900's any way, If u already have a 8800?
May 4, 2007 12:49:37 PM

Umm why would someone want a lower frame rate going from 8800 GTX to a 2900 XT?
May 4, 2007 3:53:00 PM

Quote:
Umm why would someone want a lower frame rate going from 8800 GTX to a 2900 XT?

First, Shadow703793 asked about 8800's in general. Therefore, he would be including those with 320 and 640 GTS models in his question.

Second, though the 8800 GTX is definitely faster with DX9 games, so far it has been plagued with problems concerning DX10 and Vista. Its possible that the 2900 XT will not have any problems with DX10 and Vista and will be faster with DX10 games, though we will know nothing for sure about that until the 2900's benches finally come out and we see how well it does under those conditions.

Other than that, if I had a 8800 GTX, I wouldn't trade it for a 2900 XT. Fact is, I'm specifically waiting for the NDA's to come off the 2900 and if it doesn't perform well enough, a 8800 GTX will be going into my computer.
May 4, 2007 4:17:47 PM

Oops! I didn't realize that this was for XTX! I have a XT coming. I don't think that the XTX is going to show up for a while. Just think of the cards coming out on the 14th as the x1800's of this gen.
May 4, 2007 4:30:14 PM

I hope you all realize that AMD/ATI probably doesn't give a shit about their fanboys. The top 2% of people who actually build their own computers is a niche market that really wont make that much money for them. They will do what is right when the time comes and i'm amazed to see people talk like they know better than some of the people working at some of the most successful tech companies in the world...
May 4, 2007 5:16:12 PM

Quote:
No, the XT doesn't even come close to a GTX. As I recall, Dailytech's early bench showed it well behind a GTX.

and you forgot how many NDA signers who actually had the 2900XT said "BULLSHIT" ? to that "review"
id say both daily tech and fudzilla were paid to spread pure bull to atack ATI lately...
May 4, 2007 11:59:14 PM

Quote:
I hope you all realize that AMD/ATI probably doesn't give a **** about their fanboys. The top 2% of people who actually build their own computers is a niche market that really wont make that much money for them. They will do what is right when the time comes and i'm amazed to see people talk like they know better than some of the people working at some of the most successful tech companies in the world...

Percentages alone mean nothing. There is a good deal of money to be made on high-end cards.
May 5, 2007 2:38:13 AM

Quote:
I was just bored and wanted to start a poll of what everyone thinks the status is of the XTX so we can see who's right and who's wrong come the 14th :D .

Don't hold your breath .... you may be dead by release of any ATI dx10 card ! Stop listening to those "I'VE HEARD or SOME SAY " quotes on here ... if ATI was really releasing believe me they'd be plastering it all over their website and internet ! And NO .... no e-retailers have any ! They do have the nvidia ultra at a back breaking $900.00 plus price tag !!! ...... :x
May 6, 2007 11:18:15 AM

Quote:
The latest rumour is that the xtx will release in time for the 'duke nukem forever' launch....

LOL! Just got what you are saying...funny!
May 6, 2007 12:18:47 PM

i think the xtx will, but only for oems
May 6, 2007 1:04:01 PM

XTX is possibly scrapped although I read somewhere a rumour of October.

http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Radeon+HD+2900+XTX+Doomed+...

Quote:
The less than stellar performance benchmarks are no surprise to board partners and AMD insiders. Two independent ATI board builders told DailyTech that Radeon HD 2900 XTX will not be a part of their initial portfolios. Given the additional memory cost and bulky card footprint, it seems unlikely the XTX will ever see the light of day.

!