Disturbed2381

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
I just built a comp and for some reason it will only partially install xp pro.. During installation it says: Please insert xp pro disk containing i386 files.. Its a legit xp disk, not burnt or anything.. Wondering if anyone new the prob?

Specs are
X2 5600
2 gb ddr800 ram
evga 590 sli board
evga 7900 gs card
74 gb raptor hd

Disturbed2381

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Heres what it says exactly

Some files on windows xp professional sevice pack 1 cd are needed

Insert windows xp professional service pack 1 cd into the drive selected below and then click ok

Does it right around when it says 29 mins left i believe

G

Why don't you create a XP installation disk with SP2 slipstreamed?

Grumpy

Disturbed2381

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
For some reason my only ide dvd burner i have atm is reading as slave with only one drive installed.. I have tried 2 different drives now and they keep reading as slave instead of master.. Could that have anything to do with it?

G

Where did your original XP CD come from and what type of CD is it? Retail, OEM, Pirated? I've slipstreamed SP2 into XP installation CDs and had no problem installing but the original worked fine as well.

Grumpy

Disturbed2381

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2007
Its an oem disk that has worked fine in the past... I know its not the disk cause i've used it before... ubuntu went on fine when i tried it but for some reason windows wont go on completely.. I can install most of xp, but it wont install all the xp.. Its almost seems that it doesnt install the service pack at all.