Comcast cablecard runaround :^(

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 7, 2004 6:51:41 PM

I have a new Sony 42" LCD RP set connected to Comcast expanded basic
cable service without any cablecard or STB... but still get all my local
area network stations and PBS in HDTV at 720p and 1080i, beautiful
picture. I do NOT have any antenna plugged in.

Just got off the phone to my local Comcast office. When I asked for the
free cablecard install I've read about in this newsgroup, the supervisor
said there would be a $10 monthly charge for the cablecard, and
absolutely refused to believe I was already seeing all the local HDTV
stations without one. He claimed HDTV was NOT transmitted over my
existing cable, despite the evidence of my eyes.

I guess I better stay happy with my no-cost cable HDTV, since I don't
want pay-per-view or on-demand, and certainly don't need a cablecard,
STB, upgraded "digital" cable, or any premium services.

The above Comcast cablecard charge seems at variance with other
experiences posted in this newsgroup. Why is _my_ local Comcast so
confused and/or greedy? And do you agree a cablecard might do nothing at
all for me?

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

With Time Warner, I am receiving local HD broadcasts over my cable
connection. I do not have a cablecard nor setup top box. I have a Sony 50"
LCD Grand Wega. There are other digital channels showing up as well, but
nothing like Discovery HD, TNT HD, which I think are included with an HD
package. I have been thinking about upgrading my service to get the
cablecard, but I want to understand first what it will buy me.

Jeff

"Charles Gillen" <see-my-sig@below.com> wrote in message
>I have a new Sony 42" LCD RP set connected to Comcast expanded basic
> cable service without any cablecard or STB... but still get all my local
> area network stations and PBS in HDTV at 720p and 1080i, beautiful
> picture. I do NOT have any antenna plugged in.
>
> Just got off the phone to my local Comcast office. When I asked for the
> free cablecard install I've read about in this newsgroup, the supervisor
> said there would be a $10 monthly charge for the cablecard, and
> absolutely refused to believe I was already seeing all the local HDTV
> stations without one. He claimed HDTV was NOT transmitted over my
> existing cable, despite the evidence of my eyes.
>
> I guess I better stay happy with my no-cost cable HDTV, since I don't
> want pay-per-view or on-demand, and certainly don't need a cablecard,
> STB, upgraded "digital" cable, or any premium services.
>
> The above Comcast cablecard charge seems at variance with other
> experiences posted in this newsgroup. Why is _my_ local Comcast so
> confused and/or greedy? And do you agree a cablecard might do nothing at
> all for me?
>
> --
> Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
> Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 1:36:25 AM

You should be able to get all the analog, digital & extra HD channel "tier"
via the CableCard that you can get via a cable box. What you get extra is
better SD pictures, possible even a little better HD, although that's harder
to tell. Plus the added convenience of just using your TV remote, not going
through a cable box.

What you lose is the opportunity to use the cable company's two-way
offerings, such as pay-per-view and video on demand. And the cable box
guide. Also, your cable company may be less up to speed technically with
CableCard than they are with their box.

But you can always try it and if it does not work out, go back to the cable
box.

mack
austin

"Jeff Durham" <jdurham@outdoorlife.local> wrote in message
> With Time Warner, I am receiving local HD broadcasts over my cable
> connection. I do not have a cablecard nor setup top box. I have a Sony
50"
> LCD Grand Wega. There are other digital channels showing up as well, but
> nothing like Discovery HD, TNT HD, which I think are included with an HD
> package. I have been thinking about upgrading my service to get the
> cablecard, but I want to understand first what it will buy me.
>
> Jeff
>

> "Charles Gillen" <see-my-sig@below.com> wrote in message
> >I have a new Sony 42" LCD RP set connected to Comcast expanded basic
> > cable service without any cablecard or STB... but still get all my local
> > area network stations and PBS in HDTV at 720p and 1080i, beautiful
> > picture. I do NOT have any antenna plugged in.
> >
> > Just got off the phone to my local Comcast office. When I asked for the
> > free cablecard install I've read about in this newsgroup, the supervisor
> > said there would be a $10 monthly charge for the cablecard, and
> > absolutely refused to believe I was already seeing all the local HDTV
> > stations without one. He claimed HDTV was NOT transmitted over my
> > existing cable, despite the evidence of my eyes.
> >
> > I guess I better stay happy with my no-cost cable HDTV, since I don't
> > want pay-per-view or on-demand, and certainly don't need a cablecard,
> > STB, upgraded "digital" cable, or any premium services.
> >
> > The above Comcast cablecard charge seems at variance with other
> > experiences posted in this newsgroup. Why is _my_ local Comcast so
> > confused and/or greedy? And do you agree a cablecard might do nothing
at
> > all for me?
> >
> > --
> > Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
> > Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

Anonymous
December 8, 2004 11:48:06 PM

> With Time Warner, I am receiving local HD broadcasts over my cable
> connection. I do not have a cablecard nor setup top box. I have a Sony
> 50" LCD Grand Wega. There are other digital channels showing up as well,
> but nothing like Discovery HD, TNT HD, which I think are included with an
> HD package. I have been thinking about upgrading my service to get the
> cablecard, but I want to understand first what it will buy me.

Are these local HD channels at a different channel number than the SD local
channels? I have the 60" Grand Wega with Time Warner NYC. I do not have an
HD cable card nor HD box yet. I better try to let the set find all the
channels it can on it's own, I guess!
!