What on earth is "n"? Why is it on my boot menu?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I'm having a really wierd problem that's bugging me every time i restart my computer. After booting from my Windows drive, a message pops up, asking me to choose an OS to boot from. I only have 1 OS, XP MCE, on this HD, so I don't know why it is coming up at all. Somehow, one of the boot choices is an os called "n"...what on earth is this??? I tried booting from it, and it just booted into regular MCE. I checked the boot.ini settings and os "n" is listed? Is there any way to get rid of it, because it takes 15 seconds off every reboot?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
screen shot of your boot.ini please

Sure:
bootini.jpg

Should I just delete the n right out of there?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Sorry I just want to be careful bc i screwed up my registry b4, but do I just delete the entire last line of boot.ini? Or do I need to do something else first?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
OK I did it but nothing happened. When I booted up, it didn't ask to boot on "n" or MCE! It said nothing lol just went straight to the loading page. Thanks! This wasn't really a problem, just a few seconds worth of my time, but you helped me out anyway. :) (Now my only windows problem is my stupid C drive being E but whatever.)

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
don't mess with that, all your apps think e = c if you change that your apps may not work, the drive letter is no big deal don't' worry about it ; )

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
don't mess with that, all your apps think e = c if you change that your apps may not work, the drive letter is no big deal don't' worry about it ; )

Yeah, that was the issue that led to me ruining my registry. Luckily I did a restore point! I tried to manually edit it. :oops: I think ill leave it alone. :) Anyway, I am dual booting XP and Vista so when I switch fully to Vista I will fix the problem before it starts.