Memory_Management error windows XP SP2

whizzy88

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Hi

When I am using a particular program in Windows my computer consistently crashes and I get the blue screen error: Memory_Management. I have used Memtest and my memory checks out OK

I tried the same program in SAFE MODE and there were no problems.

Would this mean I do NOT have a hardware problem but instead have an operating system problem?

I have run System Mechanics, Adaware, Spybot, Norton Antivirus, system defrag, Scan disk but nothing seems to help even after the errors detected are fixed.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Would a System Repair from the OS CD work? Or do I need to reformat my hard drive?

Thanks

whizzy88

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
I tried that update but it did not help.

I have run some memtests but so far memory is testing ok.

Still do not know if this is hard ware or operating system problem.

whizzy88

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
I am on Windows XP SP2, (2) 512 mgs DDR RAM, Gibabyte motherboard, RaidMax 430 Watt power supply, Intel pentium D 3.0 processer, ATI Radeon AGP 9550 graphics card, Western Digital SATA 80 GB hard drive.

I am running the HOT CPU tester Lite right now. The first time I ran HOT CPU the program crashed. The second time I ran HOT CPU my computer crashed and now the third time I am running HOT CPU it has been running for almost 3 hours but I got an error: ATI Desktop control panel has encountered a problem: the instruction @0x7e41caaa referenced memory at 0x00370652. The memory could not be read"

I am thinking this might mean the memory on my ATI Radeon graphics card is bad. I will test the computer without the ATI Radeon graphics card when the HOT CPU test is finished.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I'm no good with this subject but I will give you my 2 cents.

looks like its a driver or your ATI control panel.

remove the ATI control panel from startup and see if this still happens, if not then you know, if it does, first try updating your graphic drivers and reinstall the ATI control panel and see if it still happens.

or maybe grumpy or somebody that knows better then me can tell what is wrong and jump in.

whizzy88

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Thanks

But let me ask you this. I took my ATI Radeon video card out and connected my monitor to the video output on the motherboard.

I got the same system crash without the ATI Radeon video card but I did not do anything to the ATI control panel.

Would the computer still crash if the ATI card was not in the computer if it was a problem with the ATI control panel or the ATI video card?

I still do not know how to tell if this is a hard ware problem or an operating system problem.

I am going to try removing one of my RAM at a time and check that.

Do you know of a good program that could check the motherboard for errors?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
try one more thing before you start checking hardware.

msconfing, hide all ms services then disable the rest and the same with startup and then reboot and see if you still get the error.

if not its a software, if you still do get it then its hardware, if its hardware then its probably your ram.

breezeman5

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
I case anyone read's this forum trying to resolve this issue, I was able to resolve it by clearing the CMOS, by removing the battery for half a minute, and putting it back in. Check when you put the battery back in, that it's not loose, I think that's why I was having issues to start with.