Wi-Fi PDA

July 28, 2005 11:59:46 PM

I am interested in purchasing a Wi-Fi based PDA for home and business. I
have a Wi-Fi network at home and am interested in understanding some of the
business benefits associated with the use of a W-Fi based PDA. Any
suggestions of how I can justify this purchase for business benefits? Any
input is appreciated.

More about : pda

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 12:51:36 PM

"Bruce" <behenson@charter.net> skrev i melding
>I am interested in purchasing a Wi-Fi based PDA for home and business. I
>have a Wi-Fi network at home and am interested in understanding some of the
>business benefits associated with the use of a W-Fi based PDA. Any
>suggestions of how I can justify this purchase for business benefits? Any
>input is appreciated.

Skype! With a Wi-Fi PDA you can use it as a phone.

/Per W.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:22:02 PM

"Per W." <pwbuf@tiscali.no> wrote in message

> "Bruce" <behenson@charter.net> skrev i melding
>>Any suggestions of how I can justify this purchase for business benefits?
>>Any input is appreciated.
>
> Skype! With a Wi-Fi PDA you can use it as a phone.

How well does that work in practice? Do you have to leave your PDA switched
on to be able to receive calls? Although I have Skype working on my PPC
through bluetooth, it looses network connection when the PDA is switched
"off" (=standby). Is that any better with WiFi? Thanks!

Peter
July 29, 2005 10:12:42 PM

"Peter Baltus" <peterbaltus@wanadoo.nl> skrev i melding
news:D cdntg$gms$1@localhost.localdomain...
> "Per W." <pwbuf@tiscali.no> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bruce" <behenson@charter.net> skrev i melding
>>>Any suggestions of how I can justify this purchase for business benefits?
>>>Any input is appreciated.
>>
>> Skype! With a Wi-Fi PDA you can use it as a phone.
>>

> How well does that work in practice? Do you have to leave your PDA
> switched
> on to be able to receive calls? Although I have Skype working on my PPC
> through bluetooth, it looses network connection when the PDA is switched
> "off" (=standby). Is that any better with WiFi? Thanks!

Its the same. But if you turn off a phone its dead to.

/Per W.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:12:47 PM

> "Peter Baltus" <peterbaltus@wanadoo.nl> skrev i melding
> news:D cdntg$gms$1@localhost.localdomain...
>> "Per W." <pwbuf@tiscali.no> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Bruce" <behenson@charter.net> skrev i melding
>>>
>>> Skype! With a Wi-Fi PDA you can use it as a phone.
>>>

>> How well does that work in practice? Do you have to leave your PDA
>> switched
>> on to be able to receive calls? Although I have Skype working on my PPC
>> through bluetooth, it looses network connection when the PDA is switched
>> "off" (=standby). Is that any better with WiFi? Thanks!
>
> Its the same. But if you turn off a phone its dead to.

However, the batteries in a phone last approx. 1 week while able to
receive calls, whereas a PDA lasts a number of hours while able to
receive Skype calls. For me this is a definite drawback, or am I
missing something?

Peter
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:12:48 PM

"Peter Baltus" <peterbaltus@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
news:D cdud4$im5$1@localhost.localdomain...

> However, the batteries in a phone last approx. 1 week while able to
> receive calls, whereas a PDA lasts a number of hours while able to
> receive Skype calls. For me this is a definite drawback, or am I
> missing something?

The airtime charges normally associated with a cell phone call?
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:00:11 PM

"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message

> "Peter Baltus" <peterbaltus@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
> news:D cdud4$im5$1@localhost.localdomain...
>>
>> However, the batteries in a phone last approx. 1 week while able to
>> receive calls, whereas a PDA lasts a number of hours while able to
>> receive Skype calls. For me this is a definite drawback, or am I
>> missing something?
>>

> The airtime charges normally associated with a cell phone call?

You are right, of course, they are hard to miss ;-)
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 4:56:02 PM

Just sent this to some one else. (reusing it)

I have the HP rx3715 its my first windows PDA
I got 5 years out of a Palm VX, so I was very conscious of battery life and
PDA size.

As an attempt at a multimedia device, its pretty good and reasonably priced.
The multimedia angle and the Wifi + bluetooth got me in.

The samsung 400Mhz cpu keeps the cost down, has plenty of power (ie no
delays or pauses), its power management is ace, even with Wifi on the
battery lasts way over 4 hours. As an MP3 player it looks like I may get up
to 8 hours out of it. Media player 10 is on it, and it catalogs all the
pictures, songs and videos.
The large 120 odd meg of built in IPAQ file store (non volatile) safe memory
compares very well with others that have far less.
That memory is a top spot to install programs to and reserve the removable
SD card for music or videos.
The camera needs good lighting to work ok. Not ace but its been handy to
have.
Superior quality to a camera phone for sure.
Handy EG: Snapshot the whiteboard after a meeting and email it to the
participants of the meeting and conference call. Spot something in a shop.
See something funny. Otherwise use a real digital camera.
The audio recording lets you turn Auto gain control on or off.
I left AGC on and turned up the recording quality a notch, Record to SD
card. Meetings record clearly but because I am directly on top of the PDA
on the table, I can sound a bit boomy when I talk.

The IPAQ Mobile Media software built into the windows rom also lets you
stream content over Wifi to the PDA. Server software installs on your PC.
So I can wash the car and be listening to the MP3 collection stored on the
PC in the study.
Or in reverse control the PC via the PDA.
If you have an XP media PC connected to the TV and stereo, you can remote
control it over wifi from anywhere in the house.
This works well, I bought a Belkin Wireless Pre-N MIMO access point for that
job.
It secures with 128 WPA and TKIP, the range is ace, connection is stable.
Battery life does not suffer.
TIP. I got the password string generated by random.org so that dictionary
attacks are out of the question and the security key is a truely random
sequence.

Bad sides,
It looks like a Windows 5 upgrade ROM may not be released by HP for the PDA.
Its still a QVGA screen, quarter VGA. So a dell X50 (VGA) looks ace next to
it.
But in Oz the X50 costs %30 more as well.
SD cards are only 1Gig in size at present, so as a MP3 Player, you have to
swap albums in and out a couple of times a week. 2 Gig cards have been
postponed I think.
Windows media right management (DRM) comes with the windows media player.
You can use betaplayer instead. It gets good reviews and is free.

I researched all of this stuff before I bought it.
I wanted to first locate all of the equvalent programs I had on the Palm VX.
I have been using for 2 months, I could recommend it.
It stands out from the rest for its battery life, connectivity, multimedia
functions and price.
Ben.

!