Having LOTS of trouble with XP and my new Camera -- Help! :)

Hey ,
I'm having a lot of trouble capturing video off of my new camera: The Canon XH-A1.

Whenever I connect the camera through my firewire cable, it gives me a message about 'new hardware' AV/C Subunit or something like that. This is strange because I thought XP would install the hardware automatically.

I read a forum that said that I needed to put some drivers in a directory. I went and looked for the things in the Windows SP2.cab, found 'em and copied them to my desktop. I tried to insert them into my windows/system32/drivers directory manually. They were already there, so I didn't copy them in.

Next, I plugged the camera back in, and chose install new hardware. I said install from a specific location, and it gave me a list of devices. I chose AVC Device Class - then it took me to a subcategory which had two options: AVC Device or Virtual AVC device. I chose AVC device, and clicked okay. It brought up a warning that I shouldn't install this driver because it can't be verified that this is what is needed for the hardware and that it could cause problems with my computer. I said yes anyway, the hardware installed, but it said it has a problem. I tried the Virtual AVC device, and again, the same thing. I tried reinstalling Windows XP Service Pack 2, and it had no effect.

I found this:
http://dvinfo.net/conf/archive/index.php/t-4081.html
The problem is that I looked for the two file names to change, and they were already changed. So I guess that's not going to work.

Still no capture in Premiere Pro, and XP is still not recognizing my camera when it is in HDV mode -- I decided to try to capture off of a friend's computer. I installed Premiere Pro 2.0, and the Canon HDV presets for Premiere Pro. I plugged the camera in with the firewire port. It recognized it instantly as a Canon HDV XH-A1. I opened premiere pro, and it captured the video fine. So there must be something missing in my drivers or something for XP - That's why I posted this in this section.

I could really use some help from someone. I don't know what to do. Can anyone help me? I would be so grateful!! :)
1 answer Last reply
More about having lots trouble camera help
  1. Did you get the software installation guide (manual or CD) with your camera? It must contain the correct procedure. Let us know if it still make problems.

Read More

Drivers Cameras Windows XP