wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Well, I was transferring data from my old computer to my new one by burning it onto DVD and once I tried to get it onto my old computer I ran into a problem. A good chunk of one of the DVDs, around the middle of it, when the drive tries to read it it just freezes. There aren't any scratches so I'm guessing it's some kind of data corruption. Is there any way to recover this or am I SOL?

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
Well, I was transferring data from my old computer to my new one by burning it onto DVD and once I tried to get it onto my old computer I ran into a problem. A good chunk of one of the DVDs, around the middle of it, when the drive tries to read it it just freezes. There aren't any scratches so I'm guessing it's some kind of data corruption. Is there any way to recover this or am I SOL?

something is wrong here,
you write from old -> new
once i tried to get it on my old computer?

do you try to get the data from an old one to a new one,
is the data already burned on the DVD?
is the data still on the old one?
you could connect then with a network cable (crossover if direct, 2x straight trough if you are using a network hub/router)

also could be a filesystem problem (max filesize for fat32 = +/- 2GB)
so if you try to copy to a fat32 system and the RAR/zip or other files is bigger then 2GB, you could run in to problems.

please include more info if this doesn't solve it!

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006

something is wrong here,
you write from old -> new
once i tried to get it on my old computer?

do you try to get the data from an old one to a new one,
is the data already burned on the DVD?
is the data still on the old one?
you could connect then with a network cable (crossover if direct, 2x straight trough if you are using a network hub/router)

also could be a filesystem problem (max filesize for fat32 = +/- 2GB)
so if you try to copy to a fat32 system and the RAR/zip or other files is bigger then 2GB, you could run in to problems.

please include more info if this doesn't solve it!

Oh, sorry that was a typo I meant to say I was transferring it onto the new system. No, I don't have the data on the old HD anymore because that hard drive is the only thing I transferred to the new computer and I formatted it when I installed windows >.<. And the old system was NTFS so that isn't the problem.

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
try folder - by folder, or 5 -20 files at a time, to locate where the DVD crashes

if possible try a different computer where you can copy the files to,
or try to make a disk copy at LOW speeds, if you succeed in doing this, try the new copy to put the files on the hard drive.

good luck!

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
try folder - by folder, or 5 -20 files at a time, to locate where the DVD crashes

if possible try a different computer where you can copy the files to,
or try to make a disk copy at LOW speeds, if you succeed in doing this, try the new copy to put the files on the hard drive.

good luck!

It's not just 5-20 files, it's more like a gig worth of files. I don't have another computer I can copy to. When you say make a disc copy just copy the disc that's been having the problems?

SSS_DDK

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
use ultraiso or a similar utility to do a raw image of your drive ignoring errors... then scan through the files to see what the problem is