Sign in with
Your question

Fudzilla: "R600XT cooler gets to 100C"

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2007 8:37:01 AM

Link
I thought my 8800GTS running at 60C was ridiculous enough... :roll:
May 3, 2007 8:53:35 AM

I would be very surprised if that was the case. Not saying its impossible but that is VERY hot, my 8800GTX gets up to 75c under load :( 
May 3, 2007 10:47:10 AM

why...how....is it that its only fudzilla that comes up all these info's??

what are all the other sites doing????????

I am gonna take that with a pinch of salt till more sites come up with the same information.
Related resources
May 3, 2007 11:06:26 AM

100C isn't unheard of. Cards go that high. 6800s, GTs and Ultras could reach 100C anytime.
May 3, 2007 11:46:38 AM

Quote:
why...how....is it that its only fudzilla that comes up all these info's??

what are all the other sites doing????????

I'm starting to wonder that too, unless they make up a good chunk of their news. I guess we will all find out when the NDA's lift.
May 3, 2007 11:53:05 AM

The 6800s had short lifespans in low airflow cases.

If the HD2900s use as much power as noted in the previews it's not strange that they run hot.

100C is still sick. Metal coolers burn yourfingers above 60C anyway so hands off :wink:.
May 3, 2007 11:59:19 AM

The power requirements on new cards are going through the roof.
I wish ATI and Nvida could fighure this out.
May 3, 2007 12:43:40 PM

My X1800XT reached 90 degrees overclocked before I put an aftermarket cooler on it, so these temps aren't that unbelievable.

Whether it's true and whether the temps are safe if true is another matter entirely ...
May 3, 2007 12:58:56 PM

This is obviously untrue or misleading. With a max power dissipation only 25W more than a GTX (Based on 6+8+PCI-e), it's obviously not going to dissipate that much more heat.

Any article that begins "A chap informed us..." is highly likely to be crap.

Maybe one of these cards would get up to 100C, if there was no airflow, and the fan stopped. Otherwise, it's dubious at best.
May 3, 2007 3:22:48 PM

Quote:
This is obviously untrue or misleading. With a max power dissipation only 25W more than a GTX (Based on 6+8+PCI-e), it's obviously not going to dissipate that much more heat.

Any article that begins "A chap informed us..." is highly likely to be crap.

Maybe one of these cards would get up to 100C, if there was no airflow, and the fan stopped. Otherwise, it's dubious at best.

A voice of reason in a sea of speculation.
May 3, 2007 3:51:44 PM

The X1900 XTX will commonly get to 90 degrees under load with the stick cooler. Tested this myself numerous times, and heard of lots of other people getting the same temps.

I don't find this all that surprising except that the magical 100 mark was breached.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 7:10:18 PM

I'm not surprised by the 100C mark either, card have been doing that for a while at digit-life, and the GF8800s are in the mid 80s.

The thing I find a little strange is that the guy said the plastic housing is still hot or did he mean the backplate when saying the 'back of the cooler', since I doubt the red plactic would get that hot from radian heat alone since it's the fins doing all the conduction, and even 2 minutes later the plstic surrounded by heat should cool down significantly.

I think the guy who sent this to Fuad was talking about the pack of the PCB or the exhaust port at the back of the card, but not the back of the cooler itself.

And really while I take this Fuad post with a grain of salt, cn62fcni it's not just about the heat generated that the factor in temps, it's also about the ability of the HSF to remove that heat, if it's not up to the task then heat builds up, even if the R600 were to consume less power it could still be hotter due to the inefficiency of the HSF assembly. So it's possible, but the quality of the description makes me question it's plausability.
a c 147 U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 7:26:03 PM

My x1900xtx was hitting 90C at stock speeds many times. My budy has an x1950xt that does the same.
May 3, 2007 7:52:40 PM

Mine get up there, 80c-90c
May 3, 2007 7:53:54 PM

I wouldnt be suprised since my X1900XTX gets to around 92c with an after market cooler on it, no side panel, and a light OC of 12mhz!

Best,

3Ball
May 3, 2007 7:53:55 PM

Quote:
100C isn't unheard of. Cards go that high. 6800s, GTs and Ultras could reach 100C anytime.
That's a bit of an exaggeration, but my old 6800GT did hit as high as 86C.
May 3, 2007 7:55:48 PM

Sure, it's possible, but at this point it's blatant word-of-mouth speculation. That's what I'm taking issue with. Just because some unnamed fellow whispers into Faud's ear, should we accept it as gospel? It's silly.

Yes, the HS assembly is responsible for dissipating the heat, and it's possible that ATI's design is inefficient. But is it likely? Almost any modern video card can hit 100C, if environmental conditions permit it to do so.

Let me just go on the record as saying: If anyone on this forum purchases an X2900XT, has at least (2) 120mm Fans moving no less than 35CFM in a well ventilated case operating in a room with ambient temp between 20 and 27C, and reaches 100C on the HS of thier X2900, I will refund their money in full.

Payment subject to my personal discretion. What I have just written is in no way legally binding.
May 3, 2007 8:34:17 PM

That's weird. My X1800XT doesn't heat up at all while emulating FFIX with ePSXe.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 9:05:57 PM

My 6800s (which are still alive, barely) only ever reached the 85-90 range, and they started artifacting like crazy. This was back with the horrible stock coolers in a hot dorm room (and the coolers were partially clogged with dust). I have since moved to better coolers in a cool room, so I never get anywhere near that hot anymore.

100C sounds obnoxiously hot for the big copper coolers they put on those cards. I don't believe it. If they are going to post stupid numbers like that, they should also give us the ambient temp. If the amb is 50C, I'd believe their 100C claim.

Did anyone notice that they also claimed the cards would need 750W. I am sure this is total system power, however it is still too high of a claim.

Maybe now ATI will lift the stupid NDA and give us the truth (please?!?!).
May 3, 2007 9:08:39 PM

yes well, they probably also got that info from tests from the oem version... which would make sense.

Of course ati's cards have always ran hotter than nvidia cards so i woudlnt be surprised. Thats pretty scary though, i wonder how much it would increase ambient temps
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 9:12:48 PM

my 6800gt is at a constant 85-95c depending on the weather, still runs like new.
May 3, 2007 9:27:41 PM

It was probably 100F and the person was on the north pole, which made his Iglu melt drowning his polar bear driven power generator.

if the cooler underperforms they still have time to change it in revision 2

Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor said "Wait for it!"
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 9:37:23 PM

Quote:
Sure, it's possible, but at this point it's blatant word-of-mouth speculation. That's what I'm taking issue with. Just because some unnamed fellow whispers into Faud's ear, should we accept it as gospel? It's silly.

I agree, just pointing out how it could be true. I don't take this as gospel anymorethan [H]ardocp's pronouncement of a 300W G80 then a 300W R600. Like I said I don't think Fuad's source knows his backplate from his backend.

Quote:
Let me just go on the record as saying: If anyone on this forum purchases an X2900XT, has at least (2) 120mm Fans moving no less than 35CFM in a well ventilated case operating in a room with ambient temp between 20 and 27C, and reaches 100C on the HS of thier X2900, I will refund their money in full.

Interesting, how would you do that? :wink:

Payment subject to my personal discretion. What I have just written is in no way legally binding.[/quote]

Since you typed it instead of wrote it, can I cash in? :twisted:

Understand I agree with your sentiment, but I can see how it would be possible for the HD2900XT to even reach 100C in an open case (no air flow issues), but I don't know if that matters if all the hot exhaust is going out of the case, and the chip is stable at that temp.

The GF7900 was cooler running but didn't have similar 'case max' limits and would initially often fail at temps that were lower than the X1900s', so the raw temp itself isn't as important IMO if most of the heat is leaving the case, which it is, and it's stable, which isn't being challenged in the article.

Heck if the GF8600GTX were 200C but didn't melt and was rock solid, and performed like a GF8800GTS, would anyone care other than HTPC builders, which the average R600XT+ isn't targeted for?

I think it's a tempest in a teacup IMO.
May 3, 2007 9:40:48 PM

Quote:
Link

Please don't tell you believe this?? Would you trust a man if his was....Fuad Abazovic?
May 3, 2007 10:14:50 PM

Damn, you spotted my loophole.

I never said it was impossible, just highly unlikely. I own a 7950GX2, so of course I'm aware of video card hotness... But honestly, the torrents of stuff coming from this site that are just ridiculous sounding make me believe he's just posting whatever he finds to try to jack up site hits or something. It's just non-credible.
May 3, 2007 10:22:52 PM

Quote:
Hi there

Also regarding this 100c nonsence.

This is making my blood boil now.

AMD/ATI let me tell these guys the real facts about this card because the utter crap on the internet is literally that, CRAP!

The card is quiet, in fact its more or less silent even after a good gaming session. It also stays in the 70c-80c under full load whilst overclocked and still remains quiet.

At stock speeds its generally around the 60c-70c mark and the heatsink does not burn to the touch like an 8800GTX or X1950 XTX, so the card can be handled even after a mad benchmarking session.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17724...

Also in the same link

Quote:
Hi there

Our system had an Enermax 1000W PSU.

I have the ATI Tech/Fact sheet here so upto 200W is requirement at stock clocks with 2x6pin connectors.

If overclocking then you need 1x8pin and 1x6pin connected and then it consumes upto 225W.

I hope ATI don't bash me for stating this but I don't want misleading information such as that going around.

Fact is a decent quality 400-500W PSU will run of these cards fine if your running a Core 2 DUO system or Athlon X2 based system.
May 3, 2007 10:26:09 PM

Quote:
But honestly, the torrents of stuff coming from this site that are just ridiculous sounding make me believe he's just posting whatever he finds to try to jack up site hits or something. It's just non-credible.

That sounds about right, although it is sad that Fudzilla would post ridiculous news just to jack up site hits.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 10:31:06 PM

Quote:

Yup, here is an old pic of a 6600GT at 100 degrees and it's still in the drivers safe zone.

Edit: this card was bad out of the box and got RMA'ed though. My BFG 6800U never hit these temps.
May 3, 2007 10:39:48 PM

Fudzilla is full of crap and almost always wrong.
a b U Graphics card
May 3, 2007 11:01:09 PM

Quote:

I never said it was impossible, just highly unlikely. I own a 7950GX2, so of course I'm aware of video card hotness... But honestly, the torrents of stuff coming from this site that are just ridiculous sounding make me believe he's just posting whatever he finds to try to jack up site hits or something. It's just non-credible.

And I agree. While I know that Fuad just wants to report what he's heard, he also wants to flavbour it to get the most hits. I had to send him alot of correction e-mails, from both side of the stories when he worked for the InQ, and I will say this, I've never thought him to be a liar, he always reports it as told to him or as he sees it, but I do know he will spice up his writing and add some iffy conclusions if he sees that tangent from his perspective to make it more 'noticeable' by the community.

I think he's being led along by some fanboish leaks, and taking what limited factual information he has to illogical extremes.

I wouldn't put any credability in what's written, because really it's like throwing a ton of stories at the wall of public opinion, and seeing what sticks. Right now people are hyper for R600 info, and if he's being fed a diet of BS, then that's what he passes along to the masses.

I think it's entertaining, but like his statement about no PSUs with the 8X and 6X pins, I think he needs to work harder at fact checking and not just reposting what's being fed to him.

I'll always read him, but my credability meater has finally dipped down from the 50/50 point because I think he's being bombared by FUD from all directions now.

Soon it will all be revealed, and then we can start speculating on S3's cards. :twisted:
May 3, 2007 11:31:38 PM

Quote:
That's weird. My X1800XT doesn't heat up at all while emulating FFIX with ePSXe.

Thats because it doesn't emulate anything :)  Thats the CPU's job. The video card is merely rendering directx coming from the emulator.

Now Folding, thats TOTALLY different. GPU folding will heat up that card in seconds.

I damaged my X1800XT trying the folding beta client for ATi :cry:  The fan wasn't increaing its speed as the temp went up. I wasn't paying attention at the time. Left it fold for 4 hours with the fan at idle speed.

Now I get random VPU recoveries. GRRRR
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2007 12:10:07 AM

Quote:

I damaged my X1800XT trying the folding beta client for ATi :cry:  The fan wasn't increaing its speed as the temp went up. I wasn't paying attention at the time. Left it fold for 4 hours with the fan at idle speed.

OOooohhh that sucks man!
That's the only time I ever left my computer on and left the house was when it was folding, I'dhate to see that happen.

I'll walk away from a render, but if it doesn't shut itself off I'd hate to kill a laptop that way. 8O
May 4, 2007 12:49:02 AM

Quote:

OOooohhh that sucks man!
That's the only time I ever left my computer on and left the house was when it was folding, I'dhate to see that happen.

I'll walk away from a render, but if it doesn't shut itself off I'd hate to kill a laptop that way. 8O

Yeah, does kind of suck but oh well. Live and learn I guess. The card still works fine 99% of the time, so it will be okay until Crysis comes out :)  When it does I'd be buying a new card anyway. That should keep me happy until Penryn/DDR3 come out. Then I can move my 2.9 Opty to my tech bench to replace my 2.5 4400+.

This is gunna be a good year for fast and cheap stuff again me thinks :)  Here's to price cuts!
May 4, 2007 2:35:01 AM

Is it weird that my X1800XT plays heavy load Oblivion at no more than 76C? I feel special for getting an Accelero X2 :p  .
May 4, 2007 2:47:43 AM

76C? You trying to cook some bacon on that thing? :lol:  Come on now get yourself a real aftermarket heatsink and get temps of 64-65C max in Oblivion. 8)
May 4, 2007 3:11:24 AM

Im not sure if it really means anything but the core slowdown threshold for my 79 gt's is listed as 125c in the nVidia controll panel...
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2007 3:28:23 AM

Why is so much of this R600 info coming from Fudzilla? Doesnt anyone else no how to make up crap?
May 4, 2007 3:55:50 AM

I think other people are making this crap up, Fudzilla has just become the sole distributer.
May 4, 2007 4:54:48 AM

Quote:
Hi there

Also regarding this 100c nonsence.

This is making my blood boil now.

AMD/ATI let me tell these guys the real facts about this card because the utter crap on the internet is literally that, CRAP!

The card is quiet, in fact its more or less silent even after a good gaming session. It also stays in the 70c-80c under full load whilst overclocked and still remains quiet.

At stock speeds its generally around the 60c-70c mark and the heatsink does not burn to the touch like an 8800GTX or X1950 XTX, so the card can be handled even after a mad benchmarking session.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17724...

Also in the same link

Quote:
Hi there

Our system had an Enermax 1000W PSU.

I have the ATI Tech/Fact sheet here so upto 200W is requirement at stock clocks with 2x6pin connectors.

If overclocking then you need 1x8pin and 1x6pin connected and then it consumes upto 225W.

I hope ATI don't bash me for stating this but I don't want misleading information such as that going around.

Fact is a decent quality 400-500W PSU will run of these cards fine if your running a Core 2 DUO system or Athlon X2 based system.

well its not like i think Fudzilla has any credibility :p  .. but since they're the only news source about R600 at the moment, I guess it is all we have now.

However, in regard to the gentleman's post on R600, I wouldn't put too much weight on it too. This is the Internet after all.

I guess we'll have to wait for the real launch to really know the answers to these question.
May 4, 2007 5:30:24 AM

Thats hot but i have seen my 6800gt at 115c before 8O
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2007 5:32:51 AM

:oops:  posted under the wrong user name.
May 4, 2007 5:56:24 AM

@sswipe[/insensitive]
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2007 6:03:32 AM

BUTTFACE :tongue:
May 4, 2007 9:46:55 AM

My previews X1900XTX reached 105c easily at full load! :twisted:
100c isn't unbelievable & new.
May 4, 2007 11:02:32 AM

More accurate info from the same source:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...
--------
2D mode - stable at about 58 degrees. In 3D mode the R600 chip heats up to an average of 68.4 degrees or in worst case scenario 71.3 degrees.

In a closed case enviroment the situation gets even worse, so you can expect even more than 82 degrees.
--------

So it isnt as bad, actualy ~82C degrees in closed case is totaly normal.

For comparison - 8800GTX idle ~57C, at 100% ~80C.

Another bogus claim that 2900XT overheats way too much died :wink:
May 4, 2007 11:20:13 AM

Told y'all.....
May 4, 2007 11:26:39 AM

i believe this very easily, since my x1950s got to this with stock cooling. after i fitted my acceleros they dropped to about 65.
May 4, 2007 11:46:22 AM

Quote:
Link

they're overinflating the numbers again
look here:
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

now they claim 82°C in packed stuff, average of 60 °C

theres a big diference betwen 82°C and 100°C!

(btw, almost all NDA guys who have the card claimed the XT is COLDER(more efficiently cooled) than the 8800GTX standard)
May 4, 2007 1:44:13 PM

Quote:
@sswipe[/insensitive]

Quote:
BUTTFACE :tongue:

now now ladies, dont need to start b*tching at each other just now :p 

Quote:
i believe this very easily, since my x1950s got to this with stock cooling. after i fitted my acceleros they dropped to about 65.

are you sure its not just your case thats not well ventilated?? My x1950 pro idels at about 47 degrees and while stress testing it, goes up to 80 max.
!