Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vista 64bit - I'm taking the plunge...

Last response: in Windows Vista
April 30, 2007 1:58:55 PM

Read the debates, really struggled hard with this one for months. I'm not an OS expert (I guess I can go to websites and download drivers, but that I can't fool around with code).

My biggest concerns are compatibility, functionality, and security. The 4GB limit on 32bit was the driving force for my decision... 2GBs seems the norm/sweet spot today, but I wouldn't be surprised if most folks are looking to be around 4GBs+ in a 1-2years. Especially with high quality RAM sticks dropping in price and new demanding apps coming out.

I'll have it in a few days, and i'll let you guys know my experience. Plus I'm sure I run into a ton of issues.

Wish me luck - I'll need it.

Any other plungers? Feel free to add your experience here!
April 30, 2007 10:41:32 PM

Only have a few complaints:

The MCE interface is still "broken" on 64-bit due to problems with 64-bit Flash. What this means is that third-party plug-ins and quite a few of the MCE front-end apps won't work or will have limited use. If you didn't use MCE 2005 and the plugins such as My Movies, Weather, etc -you won't miss it. MS is supposed to have a patch at some point.

Some drivers are still not ready - even for current parts. With 32-bit Vista, some seem to be able to use the older XP drivers, but in 64-bit you're SOL until the drivers are released. So, make sure there are drivers for all of your equipment - including printers, scanners, MMC readers, etc.

Also, I have an HDTV Wonder card - it's not officially supported by AMD/ATI for Vista, but it does work with MS driver updates. However, it won't work with more than 2GB installed.

Check your router. I had a Linksys router - kept dropping my cable modem, even though the rest of the network was intact. Tried updating the BIOS, etc - still didn't work - so I wound up replacing it with a D-link DIR-655, and haven't had a problem since.
Joke has a link to test your router in this thread:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/router-gateway-good-ftopict235367.html

In short, Vista is stable, and I have no complaints save those listed above. Make sure you check that there are 64-bit drivers for every piece of equipment you need. Just don't expect miracles. Seems that a lot of users that are complaining about Vista had their expectations set too high. While the framework has undergone a major overhaul, the User Interface is more of a "tweaked" XP - that is, it's nice but not as drastic as moving from Windows 3.11 to 95.
May 2, 2007 7:49:39 PM

I'm reporting back... clean install of OEM Vista 64 last night - here's what I have so far:

Only hiccup during installation was due to the Bios not being setup to boot from the hard drive first... easy fix... installation took under 25 mins... no joke - FAST! (I'm using an e4300 that is not OC'd yet and 2gb Gksill Ram).

Drivers... ok, if you don't have another PC (luckily I did)... the first, and hardest, driver is your internet connection.

I have a RCA 425 Cable Modem (2004) that came with my Comcast Cable. After spending much time hunting for ANY drivers (yet alone 64 bit ones)... I tried using the ethernet connection wires instead of USB... and attempted to install it as a network device.... BINGO BABY :D 

I was SOL with USB, but linking via the Ethernet cable made vista 64 happy. I think Vista could then tell it was a network and could just treat it as a default router. Whereas when you plug in a USB cable, Vista tries to first figure out what type of equipment it is, but doesn't even know what category of gear it is.

Vista 64 doesn't appear to have a problem establishing a network connection cable modem via network adapters and the connection wizard. All I had to do (and it told me to do this) was unplug the modem for 10 seconds and plug it back in while it was trying to establish the network.

My EVA 8800 GTS 320 was a breeze, as was my Canon printer(I was actually worried about that one). Vista 64 was specifically by each vendor - I felt so special. :) 

Software - didn't have much time to load a lot of stuff. I put Counterstrike Source in my cd drive... installed with ease. Same with Steam (the online multiplayer network). It didn't ask me if I wanted to run in 32 bit... it just automatically installs and runs the game without any drama.

BTW - never played CS Source before (yes, I live under a rock)... the game kinda blows. People do the same things and camp in the same exact spots... zzzzz... I don't get why its so popular. Maybe Day of Defeat is better. I guess I just blew $29... :cry: 

Ok, I'll report back with more... but so far, my experience with Vista 64 has been great. I'm NOT an OS pro, so I thought I was getting in over my head... knock on wood. :wink:
Related resources
May 3, 2007 11:28:10 AM

All i have to say about the x64 edition is its very secure, you will have no problem with virus, spyware etc... But for gaming you need at least 2GB. My deception is the driver for X-fi card, i have no DTS and EAX, sure it have Alchemy that support couple of game but still not all games. Otherwise all my game was compatible except Splinter Cell chaos.
May 3, 2007 12:47:05 PM

Quote:
All i have to say about the x64 edition is its very secure, you will have no problem with virus, spyware etc... But for gaming you need at least 2GB. My deception is the driver for X-fi card, i have no DTS and EAX, sure it have Alchemy that support couple of game but still not all games. Otherwise all my game was compatible except Splinter Cell chaos.

Do I need third party virus / firewall? Any recommendations (this is a business PC, so I'm willing to pay a subsription for fequent updates).
May 3, 2007 8:42:09 PM

yes. And for exactly the reason you stated "frequent updates".

AV software is a religeous thing (much like text editors in the unix crowd). I can only recommend Norton 360, works well in 32 & 64 bit Vista; it comes with a great firewall and with a nice backup package (somewhat based on ghost). A few people prefer TrendMicro (what do they know :p  ); A few people have complained that McAfee isn't adequately supporting Vista (I've heard it mostly about the 64 bit version) but I am also sure McAfee are ramping up.
May 3, 2007 10:10:23 PM

would like to know what business your in --- as i also use my computer for business for my clients--- and none of my clients nor myself want to upgrade to vista ---because of cost, performance, and compatibility issues.

I know i will need to go to vista at some point ----- what are the plus things vista can do for your business versus xp as I want to here the plus as cant see plus side for my business --- but maybe if there is if you have plus side--- security aside (as my clients nor myself dont look at security as issue with xp as we are small business) --- its about what my computer do to enhance business.
May 4, 2007 12:30:51 PM

Quote:
would like to know what business your in --- as i also use my computer for business for my clients--- and none of my clients nor myself want to upgrade to vista ---because of cost, performance, and compatibility issues.

I know i will need to go to vista at some point ----- what are the plus things vista can do for your business versus xp as I want to here the plus as cant see plus side for my business --- but maybe if there is if you have plus side--- security aside (as my clients nor myself dont look at security as issue with xp as we are small business) --- its about what my computer do to enhance business.

Well, it depends on your business. My business relies on heavy graphical work (Photoshop)... which requires a PC to address > 4GB of ram to dramatically improve workflow. Also, Photoshop is only a 32bit app... but the next revision will likely be 64bit.

For a standard PC that someone is just using for MS Office applications and email, I'd say very little. If your employees are constantly searching through files for certain information, the search function is supposed to be more advanced and efficient (haven't tried it yet, I'm still migrating data). What type of business are you in and how many employees?
May 4, 2007 12:56:31 PM

Here's some follow-ups... Day 2...

The startup time is LIGHTENING FAST. HOWEVER- the shutdown time is quite long (not a big deal as I could walk away from the computer - although I have this compulsion to stay and wait to make sure it shutdowns correctly).

I think that, during shutdown, Vista is caching your settings to get such quick startup times. Given a choice, I'd rather have it this way than the other.

Also, there have been comments about Vista trying to use all your ram all of the time. I have not experience this at all. With 2GBs of Ram, and while playing CS:Source... my ram usage peaked at 57%. I'll have to check when I'm not running anything... off the top of my head I thought it was around 30%ish... but I'll double check tonight.

I'd also say, compared to XP system idle processes (where I'd see my
CPU usage suddenly jump to the 80% range)... in idle, my CPU usage (e4300 @ clock speeds) was 1%... 1%!

The transparent windows are pretty cool, since I love to have a ton of things open at once.

The interface doesn't seem to deviate drastically from XP, so I don't get why people would run it in "OLD" Windows format. :?

I did run into one problem with STEAM last night. When I went to play CS:Source, I got a UserID validation error (easily fixed). I'm going to check today to see if it has something to do with the way Windows is shutting down and caching programs... but it may be windows unrelated.

I also installed a g15 keyboard and mx518 gamer mouse without an issue. The software works in games... even though they are 32bit apps. I did not need any 64 bit drivers.

I have to say... the environment seems ubber stable... but then again, I haven't loaded a ton of crap software on it yet. :lol: 

One annoying thing, as others have stated, is that windows is constantly asking for permission. I also noticed that, even though I didn't select "Auto Updates" during the install, Vista has been going out and getting updates (I only know this because when I go to shutdown it tells me it's installing Window Updates). It asks me for permission to do everything BUT that... hmmmm....

I don't really care, just find it ironic
May 5, 2007 3:45:20 AM

based on your business --- i am surprised as seems going to vista would compromise performance of your computers --- but maybe photoshop is better in vista than i thought and all grahpic intensive business people should move immediatetly to vista so to increase productiivity
May 5, 2007 3:11:08 PM

Quote:
...but maybe photoshop is better in vista than i thought and all grahpic intensive business people should move immediatetly to vista so to increase productiivity

If you have the right hardware, definitely. A portion of my user support base uses Windows CAD and graphic apps. Everyone that I have talked to raves about the improved performance for graphics, however they all have excellent Vista hardware. Your hardware mileage may vary.
May 5, 2007 3:57:46 PM

A lot of companies in my business are disciples of Apple... I think Vista + Adobe Lightroom = less compelling reason to be such an Apple fanboy.

Personally, even though all my peers say how much the Macs improve workflow, I think it's due more to their own ingnorance and brainwashing of Apple marketing.

For the same $$$, I can build a PC system that whips their arses.

Really, XP 64 was too under supported... but Vista 64 seems to be a solidly supported product. I'm not building servers, these are desktops... so the ability to address > 4gb of physical ram is alone worth the move.
May 7, 2007 5:42:59 AM

I prefer Panda myself... especially now that the Vista-compatible release of Internet Security is available.
May 7, 2007 6:39:11 AM

Hey Zoron! Nice to see you are back, visiting the Vista crowd again. Let's just keep these religious issues between you and I, you know, quietly in this low-profile thread... :twisted:

I have to think that if Panda can't keep their only commercial web-site current, then one really needs to worry whether they will keep their virus profiles current...

later
May 7, 2007 3:21:39 PM

They're updated daily.

:p 
May 8, 2007 7:22:04 AM

well... I'll just take your word for it.

They still don't list Vista as a supported OS. Maybe they are just too busy putting out daily profiles to be concerned with keeping the info on their site current and attracting that low-profile Vista crowd... Good guys, they have their priorities right!
May 8, 2007 1:44:49 PM

Ok - some updates...

First, Battlefront 2142 demo does not support 64 bit. NOTE - this is the demo, not sure about the purchased game. It has a message that specifically states that after install... you can't launch the game.

For computer protection, I've decided to test all of the internet security packages... each one gives either a 30 to 90 day trial period... first stop is Kaspersky.

Norton, Microsoft Live Care, and others are on deck. One thing that concerns me about Norton (I have always used Norton in the past)... is it just feels so darn sluggish... especially at boot up. We'll see how the new Norton 360 works.

I've also came across this site for those interested in 64bit OS information

http://www.start64.com
May 8, 2007 4:07:43 PM

You also linked to a help page concerning PIS 2006... which does not run with Vista. However, Panda Anti-virus 2007 and Panda Platinum Internet Security 2007 both run on Vista. Take a look at their main page instead of the page you linked.

:p 

If they didn't update their page, I would not have known that the Vista-compatible version of Internet Security had been released. I had been waiting a few months for it, as I sold my cousin a new computer with Vista that made his PIS useless.
May 8, 2007 9:24:16 PM

nope, I linked to apage off of home, I certainly haven't gone back to update my link. Maybe they shifted the link and not updated the page (shifty bast*ds :p  ).
!