More Details on AMD "Stars" Chipsets

Any bets on whether this chipset or an actual K10 CPU debuts first?

Chances are the chipset will be released first. They'll put the chipset in the hands of mobo makers and probably time the release of the new mobos to coincide with the release of the procs. At least that's the formula AMD folowwed in the past. Just more hurry-up-and-wait...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Well, I hate to say I told you so but I said they would drop the chipsets soon. And before the CPUs. I expect Q3 will start the talk about the new HT3 Opteron chipset. I'm surprised BroadCom hasn't made a noise about it yet. I expect they'll have an updated HT1000 for 8Way.

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Well, if AMD were smart they would launch the chipset first --- albiet, no chips to actually go with them... however, you also do not want to taunt a new socket/CPU and not have MBs ready to accept your newly tricked out CPU....
Actually that has already been taken care of with socket compatibility. If there are no real tangible benefits to the end user by getting the HT3 bus when the current bus isnt anywhere near saturation then theres no real need to worry about motherboard availability upon release.

At least that makes sense to me. Why go through all the trouble of pushing boards out when the current chipsets are more than adequate and you are already having supply issues with your CPUs and VGA cards. Better to keep the focus on the money makers and let the chipsets find their way to market as long as it is in a "reasonable" time frame. OF course there is AMD and reasonable time frames, but you know how that story goes. :wink:

They just need to make sure the boards are available when they start releasing CPU's that need the HT3 bus like the greater than 2 socket server cpu's hit the market.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I'm thinking if AMD really wants to focus on chipsets they'd start by making a better platform to base their Turion chips off of.

M690 is an xcellent mobile chipset and AMD is touting 5 hour battery life for 65nm Turions.

Moorhead gave graphics demonstrations using AMD's latest mobile chips, the AMD mobile 690G chipset with the AMD Turion 64 X2 mobile processor, in comparison to Intel's desktop Centrino G965 chipset with the Intel Core2 Duo processor. The graphics were admittedly more life-like and the frame rate on the AMD system was between 40 and 45 frames per second, compared to Intel's 17 to 22 frames per second. Of course, since Santa Rosa has yet to be tested, these numbers aren't really an apples-to-apples comparison.

I can't wait to see a 2.4GHz Turion I will be trading in my currentlaptop for one.

Linkage for quote!

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Well, if AMD were smart they would launch the chipset first --- albiet, no chips to actually go with them... however, you also do not want to taunt a new socket/CPU and not have MBs ready to accept your newly tricked out CPU....
Actually that has already been taken care of with socket compatibility. If there are no real tangible benefits to the end user by getting the HT3 bus when the current bus isnt anywhere near saturation then theres no real need to worry about motherboard availability upon release.

At least that makes sense to me. Why go through all the trouble of pushing boards out when the current chipsets are more than adequate and you are already having supply issues with your CPUs and VGA cards. Better to keep the focus on the money makers and let the chipsets find their way to market as long as it is in a "reasonable" time frame. OF course there is AMD and reasonable time frames, but you know how that story goes. :wink:

They just need to make sure the boards are available when they start releasing CPU's that need the HT3 bus like the greater than 2 socket server cpu's hit the market.

It's more about the power conservation options for most home users, I'd say. HT3 probably won't make a difference,a greed.

AMD should have plenty of motherboards ready for the K10 launch.

BaldEagle

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2004
well baron you did place faith in a timely arrival of 790; But it doesnt mean we wont see more delays. It is a posotive for all the negatives though.

Hope we get to see it before the cash well runs dry this could certainly have a positive impact on sales..

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002

Well, if AMD were smart they would launch the chipset first --- albiet, no chips to actually go with them... however, you also do not want to taunt a new socket/CPU and not have MBs ready to accept your newly tricked out CPU....That's why AMD is taking so long. They can't figure out which to release first. ;)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
well baron you did place faith in a timely arrival of 790; But it doesnt mean we wont see more delays. It is a posotive for all the negatives though.

Hope we get to see it before the cash well runs dry this could certainly have a positive impact on sales..

They just closed the convertible notes for $2.2B and only $500M goes to Morgan Stanley.

According to sources, they could ship the chipset now but there is no need with no HT3 CPUs around.