sekroob

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
I'm going to be purchasing a high spec gaming rig soon (Quad core, 8800GTX etc) and I'm wondering whether I should dual boot Vista & XP or just simply ignore XP.

My line of thinking would be that although Vista may be marginally slower than XP for gaming, with such a high spec system, there wouldn't be any visible performance issues anyway?

Opinions?

Solution
My line of thinking would be that although Vista may be marginally slower than XP for gaming, with such a high spec system, there wouldn't be any visible performance issues anyway?

Opinions?
that's pretty-much the way it is and has been for many years. you always get the hardware to run the software that you want. I don't think anyone really wants to stay with a 6 yr old os, except the linux guys (but they have a different kind of problem). Those that are whining either don't have the specific drivers they need or they are stiil running on whimp hardware and want to make life miserable for everyone else.

I don't know why anyone would ever want a dual-boot system. Somebody, tell me why you would ever consider dual-booting XP...

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005

Opinions?
that's pretty-much the way it is and has been for many years. you always get the hardware to run the software that you want. I don't think anyone really wants to stay with a 6 yr old os, except the linux guys (but they have a different kind of problem). Those that are whining either don't have the specific drivers they need or they are stiil running on whimp hardware and want to make life miserable for everyone else.

I don't know why anyone would ever want a dual-boot system. Somebody, tell me why you would ever consider dual-booting XP and Vista. I'm considering having other bootable environment, WinRE and Vista but those will only be for repair and my playing around different Vista config.

If you've got to have XP running somewhere, keep the old box around until you are ready to hand it down to one of the local street urchins.

Solution