Receiver with audio delay feature ?

I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung HLP5063W.How
can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about receiver audio delay feature

    "Apothecon" <sailer.ny@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung
    HLP5063W.How
    > can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
    > determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
    > this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks

    The problem is not with your Samsung but with HD. When you hook the output
    of a set top box directly to your stereo and the component out from the set
    top box (video direct to the TV), the sound from the stereo is going to be
    at least 1/30 of a second off (ahead, the time it takes to process a frame
    of video).

    All HD TV's have a frame buffer/converter to process the incoming video to
    the display resolution of the TV. This conversion can't take less than
    about 1/30 of a second. There is a sound delay setting to correct this built
    into the TV. But you have bypassed that by going direct from the Set top
    box to your stereo. (I don't know of any other way to do this when using
    dolby digital.) Most people can't see this 1/30 sec difference in pic/sound
    but you can hear it if you have the TV speakers on at the same time as the
    stereo speakers.

    There are also differences in timing from Dolby digital audio to TV audio
    that are the fault of the TV station. You can hear that by goinng from
    station to station and hearing a difference in the sound delay.

    From the user manual:
    Section 2-5

    a. A/V Sync
    If a digital signal processor is connected, there may be
    times when the audio and video from a DVD or LD
    player is not output in perfect sync. The result is where
    the sound and picture do not match and the sound is
    heard too early. In such a case, use this setting to properly
    synchronize the audio and video. This setting can
    be set between 0 to 30 ms in 0.5-ms increments. Under
    normal circumstances, this can left at 0 ms. For input
    sources using the multi channel port, this setting will not
    appear.

    You can find the complete manual at:

    http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DTR-9.1U2&class=Receiver&p=i

    Jeff Rigby wrote:

    > The problem is not with your Samsung but with HD. When you hook the output
    > of a set top box directly to your stereo and the component out from the set
    > top box (video direct to the TV), the sound from the stereo is going to be
    > at least 1/30 of a second off (ahead, the time it takes to process a frame
    > of video).
    >
    > All HD TV's have a frame buffer/converter to process the incoming video to
    > the display resolution of the TV. This conversion can't take less than
    > about 1/30 of a second. There is a sound delay setting to correct this built
    > into the TV. But you have bypassed that by going direct from the Set top
    > box to your stereo. (I don't know of any other way to do this when using
    > dolby digital.) Most people can't see this 1/30 sec difference in pic/sound
    > but you can hear it if you have the TV speakers on at the same time as the
    > stereo speakers.
    >
    > There are also differences in timing from Dolby digital audio to TV audio
    > that are the fault of the TV station. You can hear that by goinng from
    > station to station and hearing a difference in the sound delay.

    Yes. If it were just 33 milliseconds, it wouldn't bother anyone. That
    is, assuming they didn't try to run two unsynchronized audio systems at
    once - that's always going to be audible. (And it's a bad idea even if
    the feeds were in perfect sync.)

    But the problem is that these delays aren't just in the set. They can
    be in the original broadcast, and they can be introduced by other
    components (the cable box, for example).

    And keep in mind that the 33 msecs is just the minimum. The Samsung
    DLPs are spec'd not to exceed 65msecs of video delay. Most of the time,
    they are well within that spec, but even if they pushed right up to that
    limit few viewers would notice it.

    Unfortunately, the Samsungs (the HLNs anyway) sometimes go well over
    that spec, depending on exactly what's in the video stream being
    processed. In some cases, the Faroudja chip used in these sets can take
    even longer to process each frame. That's why Samsung has been
    replacing these boards for customers who call and complain about this
    problem. The newer components bring the set into spec. But it still
    won't solve problems that occur before the signal gets to the TV.

    Even with a audio sync setting in the receiver, it won't be possible to
    get it to be always perfectly in sync - unless you want to retweak it
    for every show and/or channel. The best you could do would be to pick
    an average setting that was "close enough". And that's probably not a
    bad solution.

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:31:51 -0500, Jeff Rigby wrote:

    > "Apothecon" <sailer.ny@netzero.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung
    > HLP5063W.How
    >> can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
    >> determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
    >> this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks
    >>
    > The problem is not with your Samsung but with HD. When you hook the output
    > of a set top box directly to your stereo and the component out from the set
    > top box (video direct to the TV), the sound from the stereo is going to be
    > at least 1/30 of a second off (ahead, the time it takes to process a frame
    > of video).
    >
    > All HD TV's have a frame buffer/converter to process the incoming video to
    > the display resolution of the TV. This conversion can't take less than
    > about 1/30 of a second. There is a sound delay setting to correct this built
    > into the TV. But you have bypassed that by going direct from the Set top
    > box to your stereo. (I don't know of any other way to do this when using
    > dolby digital.) Most people can't see this 1/30 sec difference in pic/sound
    > but you can hear it if you have the TV speakers on at the same time as the
    > stereo speakers.
    >
    > There are also differences in timing from Dolby digital audio to TV audio
    > that are the fault of the TV station. You can hear that by goinng from
    > station to station and hearing a difference in the sound delay.

    Samsung DLPs have a built-in sound delay (HLPs are adjustable) for the TV
    speakers but not the audio out. Any external sound system is going to be
    slightly ahead of the video even if you don't bypass the TV with the audio
    signal. I think this is what Apothecon was trying to rectify.

    Lew

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:59:26 -0500, Apothecon wrote:

    > I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung HLP5063W.How
    > can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
    > determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
    > this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks

    Denon AVR-985S has an audio delay adjustment.

    http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=2&c=13

    Lew

    On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:59:26 -0500, Apothecon wrote:

    > I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung HLP5063W.How
    > can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
    > determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
    > this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks

    Someone just informed me that if you use the TV menu to mute the internal
    speakers first, you don't have a sync problem with the external speakers.
    I tried it and he's right. I have been experiencing the sync problem
    because I have just been turning the internal speakers down (no access to
    the TV menu from my universal remote).

    I was wrong about the sync problem. Don't spend money to correct a problem
    that doesn't exist.

    Lew

    Hmm, I run video from my dvd player to the tv on component and audio from my
    dvd player to the receiver thru rca jacks,there is no audio going into the
    tv at all and I get the lip/sysc problem.I don't see how muting the internal
    speaker would affect anything,but I will try Thanks again

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:17:08 -0500, Apothecon wrote:

    > Hmm, I run video from my dvd player to the tv on component and audio from my
    > dvd player to the receiver thru rca jacks,there is no audio going into the
    > tv at all and I get the lip/sysc problem.I don't see how muting the internal
    > speaker would affect anything,but I will try Thanks again
    > "Lew" <notme@notmindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:59:26 -0500, Apothecon wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung
    >>> HLP5063W.How
    >>> can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
    >>> determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
    >>> this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks
    >>
    >> Someone just informed me that if you use the TV menu to mute the internal
    >> speakers first, you don't have a sync problem with the external speakers.
    >> I tried it and he's right. I have been experiencing the sync problem
    >> because I have just been turning the internal speakers down (no access to
    >> the TV menu from my universal remote).
    >>
    >> I was wrong about the sync problem. Don't spend money to correct a
    >> problem
    >> that doesn't exist.
    >>
    >> Lew

    In order for the TV to sync the audio/video, the audio needs to run through
    the TV before getting to the receiver. The TV then delays the signal to
    your receiver when the internal speakers are muted. Run video AND audio to
    Component In, then audio out to the receiver. That's how mine is hooked up
    and it works well.

    Lew

    On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:45:44 GMT, Lew <notme@notmindspring.com> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:17:08 -0500, Apothecon wrote:
    >
    >> Hmm, I run video from my dvd player to the tv on component and audio from my
    >> dvd player to the receiver thru rca jacks,there is no audio going into the
    >> tv at all and I get the lip/sysc problem.I don't see how muting the internal
    >> speaker would affect anything,but I will try Thanks again
    >> "Lew" <notme@notmindspring.com> wrote in message

    >>> Someone just informed me that if you use the TV menu to mute the internal
    >>> speakers first, you don't have a sync problem with the external speakers.
    >>> I tried it and he's right. I have been experiencing the sync problem
    >>> because I have just been turning the internal speakers down (no access to
    >>> the TV menu from my universal remote).
    >>>
    >>> I was wrong about the sync problem. Don't spend money to correct a
    >>> problem
    >>> that doesn't exist.
    >>>
    >>> Lew
    >
    >In order for the TV to sync the audio/video, the audio needs to run through
    >the TV before getting to the receiver. The TV then delays the signal to
    >your receiver when the internal speakers are muted. Run video AND audio to
    >Component In, then audio out to the receiver. That's how mine is hooked up
    >and it works well.
    >
    >Lew

    That's strange. I don't need to do this with my Hitachi TV and JVC
    sound system. My STB feeds the TV via component and sound system via
    coax. No sync problem here except with CBS when the Cable company
    says the station is having a problem.
    Thumper
    To reply drop XYZ in address

    Yes, the Denon AVR-5803 for sure has that feature (you should be able to
    download the owner's manual on-line). There are probably other Denon models
    that have it as well.

    > Hmm, I run video from my dvd player to the tv on component and audio from
    my
    > dvd player to the receiver thru rca jacks,there is no audio going into the
    > tv at all and I get the lip/sysc problem.I don't see how muting the
    internal
    > speaker would affect anything,but I will try Thanks again

    The solution is to replace your DVD player.

HDTV Audio Home Theatre