Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Receiver with audio delay feature ?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 11:59:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung HLP5063W.How
can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 12:31:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Apothecon" <sailer.ny@netzero.net> wrote in message
news:1102514358.5993040561d37f846f1da8f689d750ad@teranews...
> I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung
HLP5063W.How
> can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
> determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
> this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks
>
The problem is not with your Samsung but with HD. When you hook the output
of a set top box directly to your stereo and the component out from the set
top box (video direct to the TV), the sound from the stereo is going to be
at least 1/30 of a second off (ahead, the time it takes to process a frame
of video).

All HD TV's have a frame buffer/converter to process the incoming video to
the display resolution of the TV. This conversion can't take less than
about 1/30 of a second. There is a sound delay setting to correct this built
into the TV. But you have bypassed that by going direct from the Set top
box to your stereo. (I don't know of any other way to do this when using
dolby digital.) Most people can't see this 1/30 sec difference in pic/sound
but you can hear it if you have the TV speakers on at the same time as the
stereo speakers.

There are also differences in timing from Dolby digital audio to TV audio
that are the fault of the TV station. You can hear that by goinng from
station to station and hearing a difference in the sound delay.
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 12:37:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

From the user manual:
Section 2-5

a. A/V Sync
If a digital signal processor is connected, there may be
times when the audio and video from a DVD or LD
player is not output in perfect sync. The result is where
the sound and picture do not match and the sound is
heard too early. In such a case, use this setting to properly
synchronize the audio and video. This setting can
be set between 0 to 30 ms in 0.5-ms increments. Under
normal circumstances, this can left at 0 ms. For input
sources using the multi channel port, this setting will not
appear.

You can find the complete manual at:

http://www.integrahometheater.com/model.cfm?m=DTR-9.1U2...


"Apothecon" <sailer.ny@netzero.net> wrote in message
news:1102514358.5993040561d37f846f1da8f689d750ad@teranews...
> I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung
> HLP5063W.How can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's
> difficult to determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon
> receivers have this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands
> ? Thanks
>
Related resources
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 2:27:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Jeff Rigby wrote:
>
> The problem is not with your Samsung but with HD. When you hook the output
> of a set top box directly to your stereo and the component out from the set
> top box (video direct to the TV), the sound from the stereo is going to be
> at least 1/30 of a second off (ahead, the time it takes to process a frame
> of video).
>
> All HD TV's have a frame buffer/converter to process the incoming video to
> the display resolution of the TV. This conversion can't take less than
> about 1/30 of a second. There is a sound delay setting to correct this built
> into the TV. But you have bypassed that by going direct from the Set top
> box to your stereo. (I don't know of any other way to do this when using
> dolby digital.) Most people can't see this 1/30 sec difference in pic/sound
> but you can hear it if you have the TV speakers on at the same time as the
> stereo speakers.
>
> There are also differences in timing from Dolby digital audio to TV audio
> that are the fault of the TV station. You can hear that by goinng from
> station to station and hearing a difference in the sound delay.

Yes. If it were just 33 milliseconds, it wouldn't bother anyone. That
is, assuming they didn't try to run two unsynchronized audio systems at
once - that's always going to be audible. (And it's a bad idea even if
the feeds were in perfect sync.)

But the problem is that these delays aren't just in the set. They can
be in the original broadcast, and they can be introduced by other
components (the cable box, for example).

And keep in mind that the 33 msecs is just the minimum. The Samsung
DLPs are spec'd not to exceed 65msecs of video delay. Most of the time,
they are well within that spec, but even if they pushed right up to that
limit few viewers would notice it.

Unfortunately, the Samsungs (the HLNs anyway) sometimes go well over
that spec, depending on exactly what's in the video stream being
processed. In some cases, the Faroudja chip used in these sets can take
even longer to process each frame. That's why Samsung has been
replacing these boards for customers who call and complain about this
problem. The newer components bring the set into spec. But it still
won't solve problems that occur before the signal gets to the TV.

Even with a audio sync setting in the receiver, it won't be possible to
get it to be always perfectly in sync - unless you want to retweak it
for every show and/or channel. The best you could do would be to pick
an average setting that was "close enough". And that's probably not a
bad solution.
December 9, 2004 9:43:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:31:51 -0500, Jeff Rigby wrote:

> "Apothecon" <sailer.ny@netzero.net> wrote in message
> news:1102514358.5993040561d37f846f1da8f689d750ad@teranews...
>> I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung
> HLP5063W.How
>> can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
>> determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
>> this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks
>>
> The problem is not with your Samsung but with HD. When you hook the output
> of a set top box directly to your stereo and the component out from the set
> top box (video direct to the TV), the sound from the stereo is going to be
> at least 1/30 of a second off (ahead, the time it takes to process a frame
> of video).
>
> All HD TV's have a frame buffer/converter to process the incoming video to
> the display resolution of the TV. This conversion can't take less than
> about 1/30 of a second. There is a sound delay setting to correct this built
> into the TV. But you have bypassed that by going direct from the Set top
> box to your stereo. (I don't know of any other way to do this when using
> dolby digital.) Most people can't see this 1/30 sec difference in pic/sound
> but you can hear it if you have the TV speakers on at the same time as the
> stereo speakers.
>
> There are also differences in timing from Dolby digital audio to TV audio
> that are the fault of the TV station. You can hear that by goinng from
> station to station and hearing a difference in the sound delay.

Samsung DLPs have a built-in sound delay (HLPs are adjustable) for the TV
speakers but not the audio out. Any external sound system is going to be
slightly ahead of the video even if you don't bypass the TV with the audio
signal. I think this is what Apothecon was trying to rectify.

Lew
December 9, 2004 9:45:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:59:26 -0500, Apothecon wrote:

> I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung HLP5063W.How
> can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
> determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
> this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks

Denon AVR-985S has an audio delay adjustment.

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/products.asp?l=2&c=13

Lew
December 11, 2004 5:02:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:59:26 -0500, Apothecon wrote:

> I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung HLP5063W.How
> can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
> determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
> this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks

Someone just informed me that if you use the TV menu to mute the internal
speakers first, you don't have a sync problem with the external speakers.
I tried it and he's right. I have been experiencing the sync problem
because I have just been turning the internal speakers down (no access to
the TV menu from my universal remote).

I was wrong about the sync problem. Don't spend money to correct a problem
that doesn't exist.

Lew
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 5:02:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hmm, I run video from my dvd player to the tv on component and audio from my
dvd player to the receiver thru rca jacks,there is no audio going into the
tv at all and I get the lip/sysc problem.I don't see how muting the internal
speaker would affect anything,but I will try Thanks again
"Lew" <notme@notmindspring.com> wrote in message
news:17j1y3pbbt0gw.170h5rrqx1y1g.dlg@40tude.net...
> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:59:26 -0500, Apothecon wrote:
>
>> I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung
>> HLP5063W.How
>> can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
>> determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
>> this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks
>
> Someone just informed me that if you use the TV menu to mute the internal
> speakers first, you don't have a sync problem with the external speakers.
> I tried it and he's right. I have been experiencing the sync problem
> because I have just been turning the internal speakers down (no access to
> the TV menu from my universal remote).
>
> I was wrong about the sync problem. Don't spend money to correct a
> problem
> that doesn't exist.
>
> Lew
December 11, 2004 9:45:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:17:08 -0500, Apothecon wrote:

> Hmm, I run video from my dvd player to the tv on component and audio from my
> dvd player to the receiver thru rca jacks,there is no audio going into the
> tv at all and I get the lip/sysc problem.I don't see how muting the internal
> speaker would affect anything,but I will try Thanks again
> "Lew" <notme@notmindspring.com> wrote in message
> news:17j1y3pbbt0gw.170h5rrqx1y1g.dlg@40tude.net...
>> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:59:26 -0500, Apothecon wrote:
>>
>>> I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung
>>> HLP5063W.How
>>> can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
>>> determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
>>> this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks
>>
>> Someone just informed me that if you use the TV menu to mute the internal
>> speakers first, you don't have a sync problem with the external speakers.
>> I tried it and he's right. I have been experiencing the sync problem
>> because I have just been turning the internal speakers down (no access to
>> the TV menu from my universal remote).
>>
>> I was wrong about the sync problem. Don't spend money to correct a
>> problem
>> that doesn't exist.
>>
>> Lew

In order for the TV to sync the audio/video, the audio needs to run through
the TV before getting to the receiver. The TV then delays the signal to
your receiver when the internal speakers are muted. Run video AND audio to
Component In, then audio out to the receiver. That's how mine is hooked up
and it works well.

Lew
December 12, 2004 4:28:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:45:44 GMT, Lew <notme@notmindspring.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:17:08 -0500, Apothecon wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I run video from my dvd player to the tv on component and audio from my
>> dvd player to the receiver thru rca jacks,there is no audio going into the
>> tv at all and I get the lip/sysc problem.I don't see how muting the internal
>> speaker would affect anything,but I will try Thanks again
>> "Lew" <notme@notmindspring.com> wrote in message
>> news:17j1y3pbbt0gw.170h5rrqx1y1g.dlg@40tude.net...
>>> On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 08:59:26 -0500, Apothecon wrote:
>>>
>>>> I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung
>>>> HLP5063W.How
>>>> can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
>>>> determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
>>>> this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks
>>>
>>> Someone just informed me that if you use the TV menu to mute the internal
>>> speakers first, you don't have a sync problem with the external speakers.
>>> I tried it and he's right. I have been experiencing the sync problem
>>> because I have just been turning the internal speakers down (no access to
>>> the TV menu from my universal remote).
>>>
>>> I was wrong about the sync problem. Don't spend money to correct a
>>> problem
>>> that doesn't exist.
>>>
>>> Lew
>
>In order for the TV to sync the audio/video, the audio needs to run through
>the TV before getting to the receiver. The TV then delays the signal to
>your receiver when the internal speakers are muted. Run video AND audio to
>Component In, then audio out to the receiver. That's how mine is hooked up
>and it works well.
>
>Lew

That's strange. I don't need to do this with my Hitachi TV and JVC
sound system. My STB feeds the TV via component and sound system via
coax. No sync problem here except with CBS when the Cable company
says the station is having a problem.
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 12:56:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Yes, the Denon AVR-5803 for sure has that feature (you should be able to
download the owner's manual on-line). There are probably other Denon models
that have it as well.
"Apothecon" <sailer.ny@netzero.net> wrote in message
news:1102514358.5993040561d37f846f1da8f689d750ad@teranews...
> I'm worried about the audio/video sync problem with my Samsung
HLP5063W.How
> can I find a surround sound system with this feature ? It's difficult to
> determine from the spec sheets on-line.I think some Denon receivers have
> this feature,can anyone confirm that ? or any other brands ? Thanks
>
>
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 6:28:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Apothecon" <sailer.ny@netzero.net> wrote in message
news:1102781827.31bae6a4d2ac178353423446db4888e2@teranews...
> Hmm, I run video from my dvd player to the tv on component and audio from
my
> dvd player to the receiver thru rca jacks,there is no audio going into the
> tv at all and I get the lip/sysc problem.I don't see how muting the
internal
> speaker would affect anything,but I will try Thanks again

The solution is to replace your DVD player.
!