format USB drive to NTFS to make it suitable for Vista?

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
would it be better if I format my USB flash drive to NTFS to make it compatible with vista?

Why would USB drive have FAT 32 file system? Would NTFS file system make the USB drive more efficient memory booster?

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
would it be better if I format my USB flash drive to NTFS to make it compatible with vista?

Why would USB drive have FAT 32 file system? Would NTFS file system make the USB drive more efficient memory booster?
The only real advantage for NTFS is that FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB (not an issue unless you are transferring video.iso files...) and also FAT32 has maximum volume size of 32GB. I think there is slightly more processing overhead associated with NTFS but it's not too bad. NTFS supports a ton of advanced features (security stuff, memos...), nothing you would normally use in a UFD.

just go with whatever makes you feel makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. In a running system, you probably won't be able to tell the difference between them.

If you ever want to flash a BIOS with it or use it with another, non-MS OS, you may want to keep it fat 32. As far as the memory booster thing I seriously doubt there will be any difference. Fat 32 is actually often faster in many applications than NTFS. NTFS offers security and permissions and a larger file size limit and that kind of advantage - it's not really a performance booster.

Not sure exactly about readyboost though. Maybe things are a little different, not sure.