Apr 26, 2006
Alright, last night I got my shipment from newegg:
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Intel Core2Duo E6600 Box Core2Duo 2.40GHz@1066FSB [From FRYS]
COOLMAX CUG-700B ATX 12V( V.2.2) 700W Power Supply - Retail
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS
Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack
Okay, so I plugged everything together, and booted it up.It booted up perfectly. The IDE cable wasn't connected properly, so after I fixed that I booted the MS Vista DVD and installed Vista. It installed perfectly, no hitches at all. After I got in, I was doing some cleanup, and going onto the internet to grab a couple things, most notably current drivers for the 8800GTS.

After about 15 minutes of total time in Vista I got a BSOD, which of course doesn't stay up long enough for me to read anything, and a restart. The install disc was still in the DVD Drive, so it booted up from that again (oops). After the initial screen, it hung got hung up, so I turned it off.

When I turned it back on and I got nothing. I looked into the case and all the fans were running and everything seemed "normal." I cleared the CMOS through the jumper. Still nothing when I turned it on. I don't have a case speaker, but the front message LED was flashing slowly, and the manual says slow continuous beeping is a DRAM error. So I took out one of the RAM sticks. Rebooted and still nothing. I took out the second stick as well. Rebooted and still, nothing. I put second RAM stick in the first position. Rebooted and something popped up "BIOS Recovery...." or something similar. It restarted on its own and came to the logo screen. I entered the BIOS and turned it off. I tried putting the other stick in again (essentially, swapping the two sticks first configuration), and rebooted to nothing again.

Finally, I undid my last step and had only the one RAM stick that I successfully got the POST, and now I get nothing once again.

Please help, I don't know what else to do. Why would it work for 10 minutes and then crap out (bad memory from the start?). It was working for about 1.5 hours through install and use, etc. Furthermore, why would it work with the one stick, and then not work a minute later?

Thanks!
Rege

Apr 26, 2006
Yeah, I think I have one around. The problem is, I can't get into the system. It seems sporatic. Here's the steps with the memory, which I don't understnad why it doesnt work, then does with one config, then doesn't with the same config.
1. Use new system for 1 hour+ (install Vista)
2. BSOD and reboot w/ Vista setup CD accidentally still in drive.
3. Boot to Vista setup and hangs--Manual turn off.
4. Not POST with both RAM sticks in.
5. Not POST with only #1 in.
6. Not POST neither sticks in.
7. Then successfully POST with stick #2 in slot #1 (initial screen is "BIOS Recovery...." and then restart and POST)
8. Not POST with stick #2 in slot #1, and stick #1 in slot #2
9. The not POST with stick #2 in slot #1 (same config step 7).

Thanks in advance for your help and or ideas!
Rege

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Check the voltage setting for the memory in bios.. default on the ds3 is 1.8 so you might have to manually adjust to +0.3 . Also check your FSB settings and memory multiplier and try and ensure your mem is running at 800MHz...

duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
reset bios, by removing the battery and power cable
try again,
if you get post, try to boot a live knoppix CD, there is memtest on that CD, and test the memory, also there are other tools to test the various components.

good luck!

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
This is the worst case scenario. I will asume you have no acces to the BIOS and there is nothing causing a short that prevents the machine to post (you must check that first). Read your mobo manual to check How can you flash the BIOS. It usually take to have a floppy with system, the BIOS flash utility and your BIOS file. If you can acces to the floppy you are a lucky men, just follow the instrucctions to flash the BIOS. If you are unable to acces to anything, even the floppy, you are doomed. If your mobo has a BIOS chip that you can extract, check at www.biosman.com for some advise.

Sayonara and may the POST be with you

8)

Apr 26, 2006
Thanks everyone! I can' try again until I get home from work tonight. Any other ideas keep them coming.

As of right now, I was able to get into the BIOS once by swapping the memory sticks around, but then that same config didn't work a second time..

Would the system post without any memory sticks in it? I tried booting without and RAM in there, and still got the blank screen. If it can POST without any memory, then if it's still blank without the memory in there, then would that mean it is NOT the memory that's causing a problem.

I might have forgotten to put that I tried no memory at all in my above numbered post. I'll fix that for other viewers.

Thanks guys.

I hope it's not the worst case scenerio. I'd have to first find a floppy drive...

I second duthoy. Remove the battery and short the jumpers for 30 secs.
Do you have any beeps from the speaker?
I would look into the video card and monitor if you have beeps.
It could also mean a dead motheroard if you have no beeps and the fans are spinning.
Is the heatsink properly installed? It could be overheating turning off your motherboard.
Are your power connections right?

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
The system will not POST without memory, but you should get a beep code if you have a speaker hooked up to the MB. The early DS3 boards had some problems booting with non 1.8 V memory but I believe this was corrected by board revisions and BIOS updates. If you have any 1.8 V memory sticks around you can try that just to see if you get into the BIOS, and if you can change the voltage settings before going back to your 'real' memory.

You can try booting with just a single memory stick, video, processor, and power supply connected. Also reseat the video card. Hoop up a speaker to see if there is a beep code to help

The BIOS message you received was probably due to you resetting the CMOS and the BIOS detecting the changes and making a backup copy the next time it did boot.

If none of this works you most likely have a bad component and should try swapping components if you can get you hands on some (spares, other system, or friends). A lot of component failures do occur in the first few hours of use and you may have just been unfortunate.

GL

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
After about 15 minutes of total time in Vista I got a BSOD, which of course doesn't stay up long enough for me to read anything, and a restart.
Just for info, one of the 1st things I do in WinXP after a reinstall is to deactivate the auto restart on system error. If you do get any BSODs, you can note them down and troubleshoot.

Not sure if it's the same in Vista though.

olmecoid

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
If you do not find a floppy try with a cd with system files. Some older versions of Nero do the trick

Hasta la vista baby

8)

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Before you try to flash your bios, re-seat your video card. Sometimes the cards don't sit properly the first time.
Also try your memory in another machine, if you have one available.
If you're able to get back in the bios, set it to the default settings run it for a few days before trying to OC it.

As far as running KNOPPIX 5.1.1, this is a must have for anyone, no matter which OS you have. You can find it at the book store in the Magazine section. Look for the LINUX PRO magazine April edition. Has the cd in it and it's worth every penny. The cd fully loaded with almost everything you could want (Tools, Ultilities, Software, and Games) and it runs from the cd. Make sure you set your bios to boot from Dvd. :D :D
Good luck

Apr 26, 2006
First, I would like to say thank you for everyone commenting with their thoughts and help!

Now, I'm still unable to get any POST, or anything displayed on the screen at all. I did, however, get a speaker and tested it wiht my old setup and it does indeed work. I get no beep at all loading up with any memory in any slot. I dismantled everything and only have the mobo, cpu and graphics card setup outside on my desktop. When I start the mobo (by jumping the power jumper), the mobo seems to hesitate for about three seconds before the cpu and 8800 fans start spinning. I noticed this before and assumed it was a feature with the mobo?

Now, here's where I maybe make some progress: If i get rid of both memory sticks and try to start without any memory I get continuous short beeps. The manual says that this is a "Power Error" So I took my older Antec TrueBlue 430W, which I know works solid, and hooked it up, it's a 20-pin ATX, but I read around first and it seems you can use a 20pin with this board and leave the four empty. I ran all the test with the memory sticks with the same result: No beeps or short continuous beeps with no memory.... I think the manual must have mistaken and reversed the beeps with long continuous beeps, which is labeled "DRAM Error" (as I would imagine no memory sticks is a RAM error.

Now, if I can produce beeps, would that mean that the mobo is good? And if I get the same results with a good PSU, then the power supply is not the problem? So it's the graphics card, memory or cpu that is causing the problem? I'm asking, as I'm not sure that the above means the mobo is good or not?

I know i'm going to have to return something, but I don't know what because I don't know where the problem lies. I don't have any dealings with newegg and return's (my other system I built ~4 years ago had no problems). I know they are known to be accommodating, but I don't know where the problem is.

Thanks for all your insight, I'm looking forward to a couple more comments about these findings with the beeps/PSU/etc.

Thanks!
Rege

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
It seems to me that the memory is the problem.

I had the Asrock Conroe XFrire board a little while back and when I first hooked it up it just sat there with all the fans going and not doing a thing. I ended up buying different memory and it posted straight away.

From my experience with the GA-965P-DS3, it's a lot more robust when compared to the Asrock board and does a good job of protecting itself.. i.e. automatically resetting FSB speeds, etc..

Does the board power up and power down successively.. or simply just remain on doing nothing? Both have happened to me with this board when I have experimented with overclocking and I either reset the bios (worst case) or I keep powering it up and down either by pulling plug out the back or on/off switch, eventually it has always powered back up..

Worst case for you is RMA mobo, ram and cpu.. depending if you bought them all together.

I second that. I think the memory is at fault. Try the memory in another system to make double sure the problem is with the memory if you can.
Also remove the video card and add the memory in the defective system.
If you get beeps it is something other than the memory.
A lot of manufacturers have lifetime warranties on memory.

Apr 26, 2006
Unfortunately, I don't have any comparable parts or system to swap out and I've invested too much into this system at this point.

I got the memory/mobo/graphics card from newegg. The CPU I got from FRY's, all last week. Does anyone have much experience RMA'ing things, even things that might not be an issue b/c you can't find the source.

Coronaz: The board powers up and down fine, cpu and graphic card fans run (after a 3 second delay or so, whereas the PSU starts spinning immediately). I can turn it off by holding/shorting the power button for 3 seconds. I've never had to resort to pulling the plug or anything other than holding the pwr sw for 3 seconds.

I found a similar problem (no post, no beeps; fans running) on a different system (Gateway; blah) and the issue was the mobo; which now has me worried that is where the problem lies.

Is it a consensus that my problem most likely doesn't lie in the PSU or graphics card? Or could it be the graphics card? If the memory was good, wouldn't it come up on the screen and fail? Or give me the beep errors? If it's the graphics card, it wouldn't show anything on the screen, but wouldn't it beep? Since I can make it beep by removing the memory, does that mean the mobo is functioning correctly?

Thanks,
Rege

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
On 965 chipset boards there is a delay or restart that is noticed when there is a cold start done (power supply turned off / unplugged then turned on) that is not there on a warm start (normal shutdown with power to supply) so this is normal and nothing to worry about.

Because you get beeps without memory your processor is getting at least part way through the POST and delivering an error code so you CPU is probably good. You already showed your PSU is good.

Unplug the video and leave the memory in and see if the beep code for a video error appears. If it does then it made it past the memory part and the memory is not the problem and the video needs a closer look. If you do not get the video beep then look at the MB.

GL

coronaz

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
It is a heartbreaking scenario to be in.. I've RMA'd stuff in the past and have had an absolute nightmare (komplett.co.uk) however some people have ok experiences, just expect to wait at least 2weeks, while they perform tests.

I would say from experience that the problem is not the video card, or the psu.

Just reading over your first post again.. the fans do take a few seconds to come on, as they are dynamic by default.. and will come on depending on temp.

Am worried by the fact that you were ok for 15mins and then it crashed.. hope you havnt cooked the CPU.. is the cpu cooler on correctly?

What I have done in your situation with this mobo is continually press the reset button.. and keep powering on/off via pulling cable out the back.. and system eventually post's. Other than that I can only suggest RMA :(

Apr 26, 2006
Hey Coronaz: The cooler should be on fine, it had thermal paste already on it and is snapped in correctly. I had it on much much longer than 15 minutes, more like an hour and a half (not all straight though, reboots for installing Vista, etc). I would hope the CPU isn't fried.

If the CPU was the only issue, wouldn't it give me an error that the CPU is damaged/not present? MY old ASUS board did. I don't have the beep codes in front of me.

Firemist: Thanks. Is that the order of the POST check? CPU - Memory - Video? If so, why would it not beep at all, wouldn't it give me a beep error if something failed? If memory fails (not present) it beeps. I will try the booting without a video card to see what happens.

Thanks,
Rege

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Firemist: Thanks. Is that the order of the POST check? CPU - Memory - Video? If so, why would it not beep at all, wouldn't it give me a beep error if something failed? If memory fails (not present) it beeps. I will try the booting without a video card to see what happens.

There are several test during POST, all of which use the CPU so any beep code will mean the CPU is there running the test and generating the beeps. Memory is the first thing tested because it used in the other tests and if it does not pass (or not detected) the other test results are not valid. If it makes it past the memory it will start to detect / test the other hardware on the MB and video. If some of the hardware is not working correctly it can cause the system to hang and not be able to generate beep code. This is why I suggest pulling the video and if you get the video beep code at least you know it is making it that far into the testing. If you do not get the video beep code then the system is hanging most likely because of something on the MB (I doubt both sticks of memory are bad, but I can believe the first stick slot on the MB is bad). If you get the video beep code then the memory test is passed and it is either the video or something else on the MB. And it is time to pick one (or both) and RMA it. It is tough to narrow it down without swapping components.

Apr 26, 2006
Firemist: Thank you! I think you have helped me tremendously. I pulled the video card and tested with one RAM stick in slot #1 and got nothing. Then I put the stick in slot#2 and got one long (very long) beep; which is not listed in the mobo manual (video is listed as one long and two short).

So I put the video card in and forgot to connect the additional power and got a higher pitched beep not coming from the case speaker. I turned it off and put the power into the video card and was back to fans running and no beeps. I took the memory stick out and got my short continous beeps again. I took the video card out and put the memory stick back into slot#2 (where I heard the one long beep) and got nothing again. I cannot reproduce that single long beep with the memory and no video card. I can only reproduce the short continuous beeps by having no memory, with or without the video card.

So, would this then assume that the CPU is good(since I can get beeps w/o memory), and the video is good (good, since i get no beeps with or without the video card) and the hangup is either with the memory or the mobo. So I should RMA the mobo and memory? Let me ask, if you were in my situation, what would you RMA? I kinda want my new computer running; I'm eagerly awaiting to install Adobe CS3...

Thanks for all your help and knowledge.
Rege

Apr 26, 2006
Hey alcattle, yeah, that's the error when there's no memory in the motherboard.

On another note, I was looking at the mobo last night and guess what I found? A small gob of solder sitting ontop of the last PCI slot... wtf? Don't they check these things? I haven't tried it with it removed yet. I can't see any other extraneous pieces of dried conductive metal, but if there's a drop of it somewhere, what's the chance of other things messed up on the board as well? This just pisses me off.

Thanks for all your help.

Rege