runt23

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I used to use XP and my wife would have hey PC go through mine for her internet connection. IE didnt use a router, just used the extra plugin for my mobo and piggyback on my connection.

Well I have Vista now, obviously. And for a bit she was just using a wireless connection. But she had issues with connection speeds and other such problems. Now that her computer is connected to mine and sharing my connection I have this problem.

I go to any web site. IE www.yahoo.com I hit enter to go to that site and it gives me that old website not found bull. Now this happens with most all websites and I have to click enter a few times before it actually finds the web site.

The second issue is that if I do not put in the old www. before websites it will bring me to this microsoft search website. That is getting old.

Other issues...
I put in a 1gig usb for the nice boost in performance. Now when I ctrl alt del to see my runnin programs I get a list that is 4x of that it used to be. Now is this normal? Is the pc sensing what programs to put into memory for faster performance? Because some of the programs that are runnin dont even make sense, such as bass and tremble programs and some other video stuff. Its quite weird. I will try and make a list but these are things that I dont honestly see myself using. The primary reason I installed this was to use for faster load times for games and such.

I dont really have any other errors on my pc. I installed the USB 1gig about 4 days ago and the programs just started running today. Wich is quite wierd. BUT what is also weird is I use a bit torrent. No not for pirated software and all that other jazz but for some pretty cool things my friends and I are doin with music production. Anywho, the files that I was sharing and downloading are still on my pc but right when all those programs started running in the background, all my torrents stopped running. IE totally disapeared from my list. I still have the files themselves but its just weird.

Should I just backup my files and do a format.fresh install?

Solution
The problems with your Internet browser may be IE7 and Protected Mode. Look at the bottom of the browser, it should tell you the mode it's in. If you turn off Protected Mode, most browser issues disappear.

The performance issue seems more of a network issue. A fresh install may be a good idea at this point because I have a feeling you may have made some unintended network change while you were trying to fix the IE issue, and that ended up breaking the networking on your box.

Personally, I would do a fresh install. Make sure that you have all of your permissions and networking correct for the other PC to piggyback the connection. Make sure you have all up-to-date drivers installed before you install your other apps. You may have...

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
The problems with your Internet browser may be IE7 and Protected Mode. Look at the bottom of the browser, it should tell you the mode it's in. If you turn off Protected Mode, most browser issues disappear.

The performance issue seems more of a network issue. A fresh install may be a good idea at this point because I have a feeling you may have made some unintended network change while you were trying to fix the IE issue, and that ended up breaking the networking on your box.

Personally, I would do a fresh install. Make sure that you have all of your permissions and networking correct for the other PC to piggyback the connection. Make sure you have all up-to-date drivers installed before you install your other apps. You may have a better experience after that.

Solution