What is the Best Gaming Mouse Right now?

ladic

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
Well I've been a fan of Logitech for a while now.

My Current Mouse is MX 1000 and I love it, I find it perfect for gaming and stuff.
Unfortunately lately it starts skipping, stops working a bits, etc. I think this mouse is about to die.

I would love to replace with another MX 1000, but only place that has em is ebay which are really expensive or only have used.

I also have a spare MX Revolution, but I hate it, specially because the scroll wheel I find it useless in the FPS I play. I usually use this botton at alternate Fire, or to Zoom with sniper rifle, by clicking on the wheel.
But clicking the wheel on the Revo changes the wheel to smooth roll and really messes up my game.

Of the Current mice which is Better?

Is Logitech coming out with a new Mice soon and should I hold for it?

Mati87

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I have the MX 518 and I think its really good. Never liked wireless mice for gaming since all of them lag. But my next one would be the G5 they say its better than the MX 518 and has weights. Never tried the razor or microsofts game mice but logitech mice are big and have a good weight. Oh and it works flawlessly mines almost 2 years old and works like the day I got it.

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Well Logitech has had out there G5 and G7 mice for sometime now. I completely love my G5. And they just released a new revision of the G5. If you want a corded mice go with the G5 if you want a cordless go with the G7 either of these are better then the MX1000. I use to have an MX1000, actually went through 3 of them. Then went to a Razr DiamondBack then back to logitech.

Edit: Spelling

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I like the G7, but it doesn't hold up. I wore out two of them. Currently I'm using a OCZ mouse - 2500dpi. It's much much cheaper than the G7, the software isn't as good, but it works SO much better.

scubageek

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
the razors at least from the pics, dont look to ergonomical.

And I prefer wireless :(

G7 is great if you want wireless. I have one, battery, after 2 years of abuse, maybe that is 1 1/2 years, anyways, it still works no problem.

Sometimes when your wireless mouse is skipping, it could be interferance with othe appliances in your house. I have found monitors/lcd's, speakers, telephones, and cell phones all interrupt wireless mice, if they are close enough.

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
G7 here as well, I never cared much for wireless mice till I tried the MX1000 and then once the buttons on it started to go out I went to the G7 and I like the mouse alot seldom get any lag from it when gaming and I do alot and I mean alot of FPS gaming.

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
my MX1000 bluetooth sometimes goes sticky ...
think it's the way windows handles USB IO.

try updating SetPoint (and check cpu usage)

Last year friend had 80% cpu usage spikes on a P3 (the mouse was unusable).

He updated setpoint and it made all the difference (basicly no cpu usage).

aoe

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
Another vote for the G5 or G7.

I own both, and am currently mainly using the G5.

I loved the MX1000 (got a couple of those too), but the G5/G7 are better

jordanwise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
g5, best £40 i ever spent, easily the most noticable in game performance upgrade you can do, especially in battlefield 2, the weights are great! always go heavy if your a sniper, light if your medic/spec ops/assault

p.s wireless is crap, needs to recharge. i've done 8 hours solid gaming sessions before - a near impossiblility with wireless mice

I love my G5; bought a second one for my laptop. The extra buttons provided by the tilting scroll wheel are great. I use them for Target Previous / Target Next in Guild Wars, but in a FPS you might use them to select an alternate weapon. The Razer has additional buttons on the side, but I found them not as easy to use, so I gave it to my wife as an excellent general purpose mouse.
As much as I've read that the G7 does not lag, the last poster's point about battery life is a good one.
If you succumb to rage while gaming, a corded mouse is also less likely to be chosen as a missile 8O

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
If you succumb to rage while gaming, a corded mouse is also less likely to be chosen as a missile 8O

It only has less range and weighs less :twisted:. Hurts like hell if you get hit by it anyway 8O

My MX1000 lasts 16-24 hours of nonstop usage (RTS games).

scubageek

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
p.s wireless is crap, needs to recharge. i've done 8 hours solid gaming sessions before - a near impossiblility with wireless mice

Don't know what wireless you used, but it wasn't the G7...

I have gamed upwards to 10 to 12 hours straight, no recharging, and still had plenty of battery time left.

Of course, those days are rare, but when I do get a free day, well, I like knowing my wireless mouse is ready. :)

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
i game with MX revolution :)
you can turn the wheel special function off in the setpoint software, witch changes it into a normal scrollwheel again
love the mouse 8)

Stewartwi

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
Don't know what wireless you used, but it wasn't the G7...

I have gamed upwards to 10 to 12 hours straight, no recharging, and still had plenty of battery time left.

Of course, those days are rare, but when I do get a free day, well, I like knowing my wireless mouse is ready.

QFT I too play a great deal on my G7 and barely rarely do I switch out. I'll play all night go to bed get up in the morning and swap out just so the other bat can charge up.

ErskaConti

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
I myself am really happy with my Razer Diamondback.
have never been found iof teh idea of Wireless, becouse of battery stuff...
maybe go for the Habu (microsoft's version of diamondback) but I am not sure at all about that one... i have somewhat long fingers so the razer fits perfectly. but I only consider 4buttons+wheel usable, as the ones on the pinky's side are hard for me to use. Razer is also the only gaming mouse that works for both left&right hand settings, it has perfect buttons (the ones on top of it) and the wheel is great.

I have no experience with logitech, but I think I've held a MX100o in my hand once (i think my friend has one) and I did not like it... the 'ergonomic' design made it hard to use...

so I say: G5, G7 or Razer Diamondback (dunno about Habu or Deathadder, but Deathadder was 1800dpi while Habu&Diamondback are 200dpi) one possible negative on the Diamondback is that I haven't found any way to turn it's lights off (not that I've tried) and it might distub you a little when watching a movie in a dark room...