Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Copying Windows settings

Last response: in Windows 7
August 1, 2011 11:59:01 PM

Hello all,

I was curious if anyone was familiar with or had done a backup of your Window's setup. I realize you can backup personal folders and everything in fairly standard and set manners, however I wanted to know if you could seamlessly transfer your desktop from one computer to another. By that I mean I'm building a new computer, and it would save a LOT of time if I could setup a configuration file of some sorts that brought my desktop back to what it previously was in just a few hours possibly.

Thanks!

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
August 2, 2011 1:33:05 AM

Hi there,

The easiest way to do that is by using the builtin Windows-7 Easy Transfer Wizard. It was developed just for the purpose you are inquiring about.
Most folks are not aware that you are in complete control of what gets transferred and what does not, and the size of the transfer so you can decide the best method to use for temp storage or direct transfer.

You can decide exactly what to transfer over to a new computer, windows system settings, your personal config settings, such as contacts, desktop icons and shortcuts, favorites, email data, documents, photos, music, videos, etc. and if desired config settings of many commercial programs. The only group it will not transfer over are the commercial programs themselves. So for example if you install a new version of office on your new rig, you can have the previous settings waiting for you when you first open it.

Can be done by flash drive, DVD, by HDD, an easy transfer cable, from a newtork share, or easiest of all just over a network or connected direct ethernet cable. It does not alter your your data or file structure on your 'old' computer. Each User account gets moved separately, which makes sense.

When done, it keeps a log of the settings transferred, any apps transferred over, and a list of programs you might want to install anew. One plus is it places the config files in the proper file structure location for Win-7 32 or 64 bit, even from the older Win-XP file structure.

Have used it several times, the last time took about 25 minutes by ethernet cable to copy over 8.5 GB of 'stuff'
August 2, 2011 1:57:46 AM

Best answer selected by tatttech.
m
l
!