Best Antivirus for XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
what is the best antivirus software for win xp? i currently use avira and it works great. is there something better in therms of protection and minimal resources usage?

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
no I don't like it at all, its more like um.... love yes thats it, I love it.
cheesy2.gif
cheesy2.gif
cheesy2.gif

wait till the 3.0 with the firewall comes out, its even faster and liter then nod and sygate, as soon as that comes out in full its bye bye sygate for me
headbangernu4.gif

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I am using Symantec Antivirus and it is perfect and easy to update.

congrats your pc is much slower then it needs to be, besure to thank Symantec for that, and more importantly make sure you advise others so their pc can be much slower then it needs to be also ;)

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
those are not better then nod32

hijakthis is a great tool but its developer has changed from your link you can find them both on klitetools
Didn't say they were. But they are freeware and nod32 is not. And as far as FREEWARE, they're the best 2. Been using them for 3 years now and haven't had the need for any pay antivirus programs. But go ahead and pay for them if you want. And the link I had for hijackthis will take you to the same download, but I changed it to the developer anyways.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
just because its free does not make it a good one, perfect example adaware and spybot, not as good as spysweeper but everybody recommends it because its free.

I don't like my system to be running more processes then it needs to and ya so I'm willing to pay 20$ a year to enjoy the best of the best.

as for your recommendations I make it a point to advise people on the best app not just what I think is OK specially when the title of the thread is asking for the best.

BTW don't preach to me about freeware I own a freeware site and I test them all the time ;) but just because they are free does not make them the best.

as for hijackthis the link takes you to my site where you can download both versions 1.9 and the new beta 2.0 and the developer site is the new one ;) not sure what link you are talking about .

good luck if I were you I would install the nod32 30 free trial and scan my system from time to time just to be sure, it does not hurt and its free and then you would know for a fact your system is clean not just because a freeware told you ;) (freewares have no obligation to you or keeping you clean at all so relying on them is like driving with your eyes closed, its only a matter of time)

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
just because its free does not make it a good one, perfect example adaware and spybot, not as good as spysweeper but everybody recommends it because its free.

I don't like my system to be running more processes then it needs to and ya so I'm willing to pay 20$ a year to enjoy the best of the best.

as for your recommendations I make it a point to advise people on the best app not just what I think is OK specially when the title of the thread is asking for the best.

BTW don't preach to me about freeware I own a freeware site and I test them all the time ;) but just because they are free does not make them the best.

as for hijackthis the link takes you to my site where you can download both versions 1.9 and the new beta 2.0 and the developer site is the new one ;) not sure what link you are talking about .

good luck if I were you I would install the nod32 30 free trial and scan my system from time to time just to be sure, it does not hurt and its free and then you would know for a fact your system is clean not just because a freeware told you ;) (freewares have no obligation to you or keeping you clean at all so relying on them is like driving with your eyes closed, its only a matter of time)
Well good... you recommended the best pay and I recommended the best free. Now the person has the best of both worlds. I'm sure that the poster has enough intelligence to distinguish between the two, and will PAY for the best if that's the way they want to go. Some people don't. If by chance they wanted a free one... I JUST MENTIONED the ones I felt were the best ones. And I could care less if you own a freeware site. And since you test freeware all the time, why don't you tell us the best freeware antivirus. I see AVG is on your list. If it's not one of the best, you should take it off. And since when do pay ones have obligations? Norton SUCKS! I have no idea what your talking about either on the hijackthis. I just pasted the URL from the original vendor. I went to your site and I could NOT find the download link for either version. If I have no intentions of ever paying for antivirus's, then it would just be a waste of time downloading them, even for a trial. And if those freeware antiviruses haven't caught any hidden viruses by now, my PC would be a mess. Running smoothly, everythings works fine... keeping the car on the road while eyes closed. Been doing it for 3 years now. And I saved $60.00. End of sermon.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
@Assman I would talk about that all day but we can't here ;)

@micronerdo, I see guys like you all the time, driving with your eyes closed.

you would not use a bank that told you they did not promise to keep any of your info secure but you will do that with your PC, home you got no important info there ;) its just a matter of time.

plus I'm glad that all the data you need are your PCs and your perception of what is going on, no technical facts come to play.

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
@Assman I would talk about that all day but we can't here ;)

@micronerdo, I see guys like you all the time, driving with your eyes closed.

you would not use a bank that told you they did not promise to keep any of your info secure but you will do that with your PC, home you got no important info there ;) its just a matter of time.

plus I'm glad that all the data you need are your PCs and your perception of what is going on, no technical facts come to play.
Flash drives (for important info), backups to other hard drives...........
When that time comes I'll have probably saved enough money (instead of dolling it out every year to the pay programs) to buy a new PC. Save me the metaphors.
Although I like the one about driving blind.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
actually the time will come when you wished your anti virus was not freeware.

btw at 20$ a year I'm not sure what kind of pc you are talking about buying but see you in 20 years or so ;)

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
actually the time will come when you wished your anti virus was not freeware.

btw at 20$ a year I'm not sure what kind of pc you are talking about buying but see you in 20 years or so ;)
Well, if the freeware worked good enough for 20 years.... that's not so bad, huh? At least I'm $400 ahead. :wink:

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
yes however it won't, you have no idea how many people I have to help who have either had a free anti virus for a short time or a long time then finally it happened. not worth it. I don't even see how you made yourself think that 20$ a year is worth your identity, these types of things only need to happen one time, you have it safe a million times but if it fails you the million and one time then all the money in the world is not worth it.

I tell you what, forget you bank and let me hold your money from now on, I will give you the same interest the bank does but charge you no fees ;)

oh ya BTW, I guarantee nothing about the security of your private info, or your money, but none of that matters, just think about it, @ $5 a month you would be saving $60 a year, thats 3 times the amount your free av is saving you and that means in 10 years you could by a $600 top of the line computer ;) I don't see how you could say no.

micronerdo

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Actually, my identity was stolen at one time. Guy charged $1200 worth at Home Depot in Norfolk, Va. But the credit card company said he didn't get it from my computer. He got it from some database or something. I wasn't charged, and they nabbed the asshole. But just in case, I've kept that kind of info on flash drives. And just to let you in on something you may not know.... identities are not JUST gathered from computers.

Next.

bitter

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
i must say i have tried about every anitvirus out there. nod32 is good, silent, you install it and can never bother about what it's doing. the problem is one day my computer started lagging and after trying a couple of antivirus softwares avira was the one that found the "flu". after that i decided to see how it perform and i saw it is very good: low footprint, good protection, nice system tray icon :D. the only thing that pisses me off is the add that appears every time it updates. i'm interested in both security and low resources usage and i want to know what is the best balanced antivirus. thanks for the replies.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
@ micronerdo, I already know how to steal your identity and where to look, what I'm telling you is you are due for it being stollen from your pc, keeping it on a flash drive that is gonnected to pc with freeware does not mean anything. ;)

btw don't forget to let me hold your money so you can save all those bank fees ;)

@bitter are you saying nod32 slowed down your pc? if so then you had other problems nod does not slow anything down, something on your pc was messing with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.