Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best Antivirus for XP?

Last response: in Windows XP
May 4, 2007 9:07:26 AM

what is the best antivirus software for win xp? i currently use avira and it works great. is there something better in therms of protection and minimal resources usage?

More about : antivirus

Related resources
May 4, 2007 7:50:39 PM

i see you like nod as well :)  8)
Score
May 4, 2007 8:18:26 PM

no I don't like it at all, its more like um.... love yes thats it, I love it.

wait till the 3.0 with the firewall comes out, its even faster and liter then nod and sygate, as soon as that comes out in full its bye bye sygate for me
Score
May 4, 2007 9:41:03 PM

I prefer Panda Platinum Internet Security myself.
Score
May 5, 2007 5:11:30 PM

that's what you think, check out the link in my previous post, currently nod and kasperky are the top 2
Score
May 6, 2007 11:36:35 PM

Quote:
I am using Symantec Antivirus and it is perfect and easy to update.

congrats your pc is much slower then it needs to be, besure to thank Symantec for that, and more importantly make sure you advise others so their pc can be much slower then it needs to be also ;) 
Score
May 7, 2007 12:44:25 AM

those are not better then nod32

hijakthis is a great tool but its developer has changed from your link you can find them both on klitetools
Score
May 7, 2007 1:35:50 AM

Quote:
those are not better then nod32

hijakthis is a great tool but its developer has changed from your link you can find them both on klitetools

Didn't say they were. But they are freeware and nod32 is not. And as far as FREEWARE, they're the best 2. Been using them for 3 years now and haven't had the need for any pay antivirus programs. But go ahead and pay for them if you want. And the link I had for hijackthis will take you to the same download, but I changed it to the developer anyways.
Score
May 7, 2007 2:21:58 AM

just because its free does not make it a good one, perfect example adaware and spybot, not as good as spysweeper but everybody recommends it because its free.

I don't like my system to be running more processes then it needs to and ya so I'm willing to pay 20$ a year to enjoy the best of the best.

as for your recommendations I make it a point to advise people on the best app not just what I think is OK specially when the title of the thread is asking for the best.

BTW don't preach to me about freeware I own a freeware site and I test them all the time ;)  but just because they are free does not make them the best.

as for hijackthis the link takes you to my site where you can download both versions 1.9 and the new beta 2.0 and the developer site is the new one ;)  not sure what link you are talking about .

good luck if I were you I would install the nod32 30 free trial and scan my system from time to time just to be sure, it does not hurt and its free and then you would know for a fact your system is clean not just because a freeware told you ;)  (freewares have no obligation to you or keeping you clean at all so relying on them is like driving with your eyes closed, its only a matter of time)
Score
May 7, 2007 2:59:23 AM

I prefer AVG
Score
May 7, 2007 3:19:45 AM

Quote:
just because its free does not make it a good one, perfect example adaware and spybot, not as good as spysweeper but everybody recommends it because its free.

I don't like my system to be running more processes then it needs to and ya so I'm willing to pay 20$ a year to enjoy the best of the best.

as for your recommendations I make it a point to advise people on the best app not just what I think is OK specially when the title of the thread is asking for the best.

BTW don't preach to me about freeware I own a freeware site and I test them all the time ;)  but just because they are free does not make them the best.

as for hijackthis the link takes you to my site where you can download both versions 1.9 and the new beta 2.0 and the developer site is the new one ;)  not sure what link you are talking about .

good luck if I were you I would install the nod32 30 free trial and scan my system from time to time just to be sure, it does not hurt and its free and then you would know for a fact your system is clean not just because a freeware told you ;)  (freewares have no obligation to you or keeping you clean at all so relying on them is like driving with your eyes closed, its only a matter of time)

Well good... you recommended the best pay and I recommended the best free. Now the person has the best of both worlds. I'm sure that the poster has enough intelligence to distinguish between the two, and will PAY for the best if that's the way they want to go. Some people don't. If by chance they wanted a free one... I JUST MENTIONED the ones I felt were the best ones. And I could care less if you own a freeware site. And since you test freeware all the time, why don't you tell us the best freeware antivirus. I see AVG is on your list. If it's not one of the best, you should take it off. And since when do pay ones have obligations? Norton SUCKS! I have no idea what your talking about either on the hijackthis. I just pasted the URL from the original vendor. I went to your site and I could NOT find the download link for either version. If I have no intentions of ever paying for antivirus's, then it would just be a waste of time downloading them, even for a trial. And if those freeware antiviruses haven't caught any hidden viruses by now, my PC would be a mess. Running smoothly, everythings works fine... keeping the car on the road while eyes closed. Been doing it for 3 years now. And I saved $60.00. End of sermon.
Score
May 7, 2007 3:23:39 AM

Quote:
Well good... you recommended the best pay and I recommended the best free. Now the person has the best of both worlds.

If I may recommend the best of the two worlds combined - amazing world called warez.
Score
May 7, 2007 4:44:52 AM

@Assman I would talk about that all day but we can't here ;) 

@micronerdo, I see guys like you all the time, driving with your eyes closed.

you would not use a bank that told you they did not promise to keep any of your info secure but you will do that with your PC, home you got no important info there ;)  its just a matter of time.

plus I'm glad that all the data you need are your PCs and your perception of what is going on, no technical facts come to play.
Score
May 7, 2007 4:46:13 AM

Quote:
I see guys like you all the time, driving with your eyes closed.

ROFLMAO :trophy:
Score
May 7, 2007 6:32:40 AM

Quote:
@Assman I would talk about that all day but we can't here ;) 

@micronerdo, I see guys like you all the time, driving with your eyes closed.

you would not use a bank that told you they did not promise to keep any of your info secure but you will do that with your PC, home you got no important info there ;)  its just a matter of time.

plus I'm glad that all the data you need are your PCs and your perception of what is going on, no technical facts come to play.

Flash drives (for important info), backups to other hard drives...........
When that time comes I'll have probably saved enough money (instead of dolling it out every year to the pay programs) to buy a new PC. Save me the metaphors.
Although I like the one about driving blind.
Score
May 7, 2007 7:34:10 AM

actually the time will come when you wished your anti virus was not freeware.

btw at 20$ a year I'm not sure what kind of pc you are talking about buying but see you in 20 years or so ;) 
Score
May 7, 2007 7:42:57 AM

Quote:
actually the time will come when you wished your anti virus was not freeware.

btw at 20$ a year I'm not sure what kind of pc you are talking about buying but see you in 20 years or so ;) 

Well, if the freeware worked good enough for 20 years.... that's not so bad, huh? At least I'm $400 ahead. :wink:
Score
May 7, 2007 7:55:36 AM

yes however it won't, you have no idea how many people I have to help who have either had a free anti virus for a short time or a long time then finally it happened. not worth it. I don't even see how you made yourself think that 20$ a year is worth your identity, these types of things only need to happen one time, you have it safe a million times but if it fails you the million and one time then all the money in the world is not worth it.

I tell you what, forget you bank and let me hold your money from now on, I will give you the same interest the bank does but charge you no fees ;) 

oh ya BTW, I guarantee nothing about the security of your private info, or your money, but none of that matters, just think about it, @ $5 a month you would be saving $60 a year, thats 3 times the amount your free av is saving you and that means in 10 years you could by a $600 top of the line computer ;)  I don't see how you could say no.
Score
May 7, 2007 7:09:44 PM

Actually, my identity was stolen at one time. Guy charged $1200 worth at Home Depot in Norfolk, Va. But the credit card company said he didn't get it from my computer. He got it from some database or something. I wasn't charged, and they nabbed the asshole. But just in case, I've kept that kind of info on flash drives. And just to let you in on something you may not know.... identities are not JUST gathered from computers.

Next.
Score
May 7, 2007 7:41:06 PM

i must say i have tried about every anitvirus out there. nod32 is good, silent, you install it and can never bother about what it's doing. the problem is one day my computer started lagging and after trying a couple of antivirus softwares avira was the one that found the "flu". after that i decided to see how it perform and i saw it is very good: low footprint, good protection, nice system tray icon :D . the only thing that pisses me off is the add that appears every time it updates. i'm interested in both security and low resources usage and i want to know what is the best balanced antivirus. thanks for the replies.
Score
May 7, 2007 8:37:49 PM

@ micronerdo, I already know how to steal your identity and where to look, what I'm telling you is you are due for it being stollen from your pc, keeping it on a flash drive that is gonnected to pc with freeware does not mean anything. ;) 

btw don't forget to let me hold your money so you can save all those bank fees ;) 

@bitter are you saying nod32 slowed down your pc? if so then you had other problems nod does not slow anything down, something on your pc was messing with it.
Score
May 7, 2007 10:55:11 PM

Quote:
@ micronerdo, I already know how to steal your identity and where to look, what I'm telling you is you are due for it being stollen from your pc, keeping it on a flash drive that is gonnected to pc with freeware does not mean anything. ;) 

And I told you it's already been stolen before, and paying for nod32 would not have changed anything. The best you could do is my name and address. Big deal, there are other ways of getting that. Flash drive... transaction... back out.
Quote:
btw don't forget to let me hold your money so you can save all those bank fees ;) 

It's getting old.
Score
May 7, 2007 11:07:25 PM

Quote:

It's getting old.

so is your idea of security ;) 
Score
May 7, 2007 11:20:13 PM

Quote:
so is your idea of security ;) 

Nuthin's foolproof :wink:
Score
May 7, 2007 11:33:22 PM

Quote:

Nuthin's foolproof :wink:

you are right, but if you are not just talking and mean what you say then give me your money to hold, talk is cheap.

nothing is fool proof but you do go for the best one that is closest to it ;) 
Score
May 8, 2007 12:52:42 AM

Quote:
you are right, but if you are not just talking and mean what you say then give me your money to hold, talk is cheap.

Gee, I don't know... someone could rob you before even thinking of me.
Quote:

And did I EVER say that nod32 WASN'T the best one? It's better than any freeware app (DUH) OR pay app. Do you think EVERYBODY out there is looking for a pay app? Is it remotely possible that some are maybe, just maybe, looking for SOME kind of protection but don't want to pay for it? Heaven forbid! Start the crusades against this foolish thinking. Anyways, all I did was just mention a few. Castigate me.... sheeesh!
Score
May 8, 2007 1:01:45 AM

damn, you two need a chatroom :lol: 
Score
May 8, 2007 1:09:37 AM

Quote:

Gee, I don't know... someone could rob you before even thinking of me.
Quote:

yes the good old its not gonna happen to me fact ;)  love your facts ;) 

Quote:

Is it remotely possible that some are maybe, just maybe, looking for SOME kind of protection but don't want to pay for it?

listen to yourself, how many times do I need to tell you? freeware apps offer no protection, don't' take my word for it, read the disclaimer for your freeware.

that being a fact, who in their right mind looks for SOME kind of protection in a place that tells you they offer none?

also you keep talking about money, before you advise others you should go decide which is more important to you in a an anit virus and such:

a. is the level of protection
or
b. how much the protection will cost you

seems like you are willing to let go of the protection for the money which then makes your whole point of getting an av quite pointless and the same with your argument.

if you need an av then get the best and yes it will cost you less then 6 pennies a day, that cost lest then your cigs.

now you want me to take you seriously with that frame of mind?

Quote:
let me save 6 pennies a day but I spend more then that on cigs and coffee but listen to me, this is a great idea, cut on safety so you can spend the money of coffee and cigs

above quote is not actual is my editing to make a point
and I say that as an ex smoker (1 1/2 packs a day) ;) 
Score
May 8, 2007 2:09:00 AM

Quote:

yes the good old its not gonna happen to me fact ;)  love your facts ;) 

Well, you seem to be playing the same game.
Quote:

listen to yourself, how many times do I need to tell you? freeware apps offer no protection, don't' take my word for it, read the disclaimer for your freeware.;)

Checked... no disclaimers anywhere. Why don't you send me the URL's that have these disclaimers. No protection? Listen to yourself. Maybe not in the way of identity theft, but come on.
http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2201p168id113462.htm
Some tests (on other sites) have shown some of them to be right under nod32.
Score
May 8, 2007 3:51:46 AM

pleasure

your beloved avg

Quote:
This particular software version is distributed free of charge, therefore, the applicable license is only granted for home use thereof. In case of this free version, the program is not subject to any guarantees, and the user has no right to any technical support whatsoever.

Quote:
5. Liability Limitation. Neither GRISOFT nor its contractual dealers bare any liability for any damages arisen due to using or inability of using of the aforesaid program although if notified of an option of causing such damages.

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5#avg-anti...

I'm not sure why you are arguing with someone that told you they own a freeware site, maybe you think I'm forcing my ideas on your or something, regardless of what you say it does not change any facts, and don't forget I have everything to gain by saying the opposite of what I'm saying.

facts are very simple, if you worried about security then you need the best regardless, if security is not important to you then you don't need any security apps, free or not, if I don't ever care about photos and images then it would be moronic of me to have 2 to 4 different kinds of photo apps on my PC taking up space and CPU, and my argument for having them: just because they are free why not?

anyways I'm beating a dead horse, I'm sure you will find something to say about the LA and any other facts that I produce.

BTW I don't see how I'm playing the its not gonna happen to me game, you have no clue what I'm doing ;)  but I can promise you it will happen to you before it happens to me ;) 
Score
May 8, 2007 5:17:11 AM

i had some viruses and nod32 failed to detect them :(  . as i said before the only software that detected the infection was avira
Score
May 8, 2007 5:28:07 AM

its your settings or the virus is false positive, what virus was it? if you had the virus befor install then you can't blame any av, some viruses will manipulate the install file or the installation to disable or hamper the av's detections.
Score
May 8, 2007 5:31:24 AM

i second, nod has an advance gui, so there is a good possibility that his settings were not configured properly.
Score
May 8, 2007 5:32:30 AM

or it was a false alarm :) 
Score
May 8, 2007 5:37:00 AM

as soon as he tells us what virus/s we will know.
Score
May 8, 2007 6:21:22 AM

Thanks. I was wondering where that was (just couldn't find it). Big deal.... of COURSE there's no support. You pay for support. And what kind of guarantees do you get with nod32 other than support? Are you reimbursed for any liabilities other than the program itself?

Why do you have it offered on your site if it does nothing? I mean, why bother?
Security may not be as important to me as it is to you, but to pick up some viruses that could be lingering around is better than nothing. I use GIMP, but sometimes I use plain old Paint also. Thay may not be Photoshop, but they do the job OK for me and it's better than nothing. But I know, you keep saying it's nothing. I've gotten my daughter and my wifes PC's working back to normal using them, and to me that's better than nothing.

So if it happens to me before it happens to you, it's still the same result. I may die before you, but it's still the same ending.
Score
May 8, 2007 6:42:50 AM

life is not the same as security, life is not about ending, security is ;) 

everybody dies, but every body's security is not compromised, only people who use bad judgment or don't know any better.

I told you that it does not matter what I say, can't make a horse drink water ;) 

I really don't care what you do with your life, I will not watch as you give bad advise to others just because you like to go by your perception instead of facts ;) 

why do I offer it? because its a freeware on a freeware site thats what you find, I don't recommend them tho on the support forum or any place else.

bottom line is you just want to be right even tho you are wrong, the same way you tell yourself you are secure with an app that itself says it offers you no security/guarantees.

peace ;) 
Score
May 8, 2007 7:37:58 AM

Quote:
bottom line is you just want to be right even tho you are wrong, the same way you tell yourself you are secure with an app that itself says it offers you no security/guarantees.

peace ;) 

I never felt I was right thruout this whole discussion. Nod32 is the best, and if some people feel they need that kind of fallout shelter protection, by all means, they should buy it. I just mentioned a few other ones and you thought I meant they where better than nod32. And in my next reply I never disputed that fact. Then it was nod32 or nothing at all. All I've done is disagree with your nothing at all. I don't care who's right or wrong. I understand you completely. But it was you who was quick to the trigger of not understanding in my first post when I was just mentioning others. And you made the argument of why they should not. Either pay for it or don't bother to install any. Yes, pay for it or keep all viruses in your computer. And I never said I felt I was secure with these apps. I've just gotten rid of a few viruses, malware, trojans etc. What's the crime? Is that so bad?
Score
May 8, 2007 7:52:02 AM

good luck boss ;) 
Score
May 9, 2007 8:07:13 AM

i'm afraid i don't remember what virus i had but i know i run a couple of in depth analysis and nod32 didn't see it.
Score
May 9, 2007 10:00:32 AM

well then I'm pretty sure its was the settings, since you still have to set the scan settings and options with an indepth scan also.
Score
May 9, 2007 3:00:08 PM

I think the best freeware program for you to use would be AVG. I have had no trouble with it and it comes highly recormended. You can find it at this website: AVG
Score
May 9, 2007 7:30:41 PM

here we go again, avg themselves promise you no security, what is the point of an av that promises no guarantees or liability? the past 10 post have been about stupid avg and their licence agreement ;) 
Score
May 9, 2007 8:05:51 PM

Quote:
good luck boss ;) 

you too!

and thanks for helping me get closer to my avatar :wink:
Score
May 12, 2007 2:30:41 AM

Is Kaspersky Anti-virus anygood?
Score
May 12, 2007 2:31:36 AM

yes