LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Hi all,

I recently read that using AHCI enabled in BIOS would increase performance of my HDD. So I went in the BIOS and found a place where I changed from "Basic" to "AHCI" and rebooted my computer. Windows did boot fine.

My questions are:
* Am I really now in AHCI?
* How can I verify that?
* Do I need to install extra drivers?

Thanks

Solution
Your BIOS obviously supports it, but does your hardware? Vista supports AHCI without extra drivers, but only if your hardware uses it and is at the right firmware level. I don't know if a patch has already come out for it, but when Vista was first released you had to reinstall Vista to get the boost from the hardware support, otherwise it treated it like a normal hd. Also, only a RAID configuration should see significant results from the tech.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Your BIOS obviously supports it, but does your hardware? Vista supports AHCI without extra drivers, but only if your hardware uses it and is at the right firmware level. I don't know if a patch has already come out for it, but when Vista was first released you had to reinstall Vista to get the boost from the hardware support, otherwise it treated it like a normal hd. Also, only a RAID configuration should see significant results from the tech.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS