Sign in with
Your question

Having problems with 7600GS upgrade.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 3, 2007 5:54:43 PM

Recently purchased an eVga 7600GS as an upgrade to my old 9600 pro. Uninstalled all old drivers and removed old card. Installed new card and made sure to hook up the ps to card. System boots fine, and everything seems normal to the point that I install the drivers for 7600. Initially tried to install drivers that came with card and as soon as they were installed, system began to lag horribly. i.e. Clicking on the Start button took a few seconds for it to open up, and everything else lagged horribly. Also every 15 seconds or so the screen would blink, as it does when changing resolution. This blinking would speed up and slow down at random it seemed. After this I removed the drivers, and got the newest drivers from nvidia site. Had exact same problem after installing them. System worked perfectly fine with old video card, and is currently running fine but without drivers installed for new vid card. Any help here would be appreciated.

System:
Athlon XP 2500+
Corsair XMS PC3200 1GB (2x512mb)
Abit NF7-V2.0
Enermax 460W Power Supply: EG465P-VE
WD 36gb Raptor
May 3, 2007 7:46:26 PM

hmmm, that is very weird.

Can you make sure you have absolutely no remaining ATI driver files in your system by using driver cleaner pro in safe mode.

Also, try using one of the customized nvidia drivers like the NGO drivers: http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=1631

also what is your current power supply unit and what are its specs??
May 3, 2007 8:20:41 PM

Yeah this is really weird. At first guess I think it could be a driver problem. Is there any other comp that you could try out the card? That way you could isolate the problem better. It makes the problem easier to fix when you know exactly what the problem is.
!