Sign in with
Your question

Im Spending $15,000!! What to get?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 3, 2007 6:56:13 PM

Hey guys I have a general Idea on what I want but I was just wondering what you guys think wouyld be the ultimate PC that could be built with that kind of money!

I would apreciate it if you guys share your suggestions.

Motherboard?
Processors?
Ram?
Power?

Yall know what im talking about basically all components to build a awesome OVERLOCKING PC!

Thanks guys!!

More about : spending 000

May 3, 2007 7:15:40 PM

it wont be much better then a system that costs 3000 or 4000, 15,000 is a waste.
May 3, 2007 7:23:17 PM

Quote:
it wont be much better then a system that costs 3000 or 4000, 15,000 is a waste.

Maybe the extra $10,000.00 could go towards a consulting fee payable to a member of the TG Forumz.

Computer $ 5,000.00
Consulting $10,000.00
Total $15,000.00

Sounds like an idea... I'm very generous with other people's money.
Related resources
May 3, 2007 7:24:47 PM

You're not building that PC, you're just curious.

Fellow forum members, do this guy a REAL favour and don't help him WASTE HIS MONEY.

Some of us are having trouble scraping together a grand for a new car, your starting this post is fucking annoying and a waste of bloody time.
May 3, 2007 7:29:32 PM

Quote:
You're not building that PC, you're just curious.

Fellow forum members, do this guy a REAL favour and don't help him WASTE HIS MONEY.

Some of us are having trouble scraping together a grand for a new car, your starting this post is ****** annoying and a waste of bloody time.

What you said.

See carmine, the only good thing that comes out of being broke is that broke people are allowed to hate!
May 3, 2007 7:32:16 PM

seriously spend 3-4K on a new computer and donate the rest to starving kids in Africa
May 3, 2007 8:00:22 PM

KKKKK, go pentium D's, they're hard to find only becuase they are SOOOO good! then get some ddr1 ram, the fastest possible, again, its hard to find because its sooo goood. Than get a sparkle PSU, and an, aspire case. Finish it off with a Blue orb cooler, and just get a little more out of it, use a LOT of TIM. The more the better I say. Then buy the biggest moniter you can, but make sure you go plasma since 1024x768 really is the highest, all the others interpolate to higher res's, so this is the best you can get. Gfx card wise, totally get the Nvidia Quaddro cards, since a person here got them, and boy does he run doom 3 at 55 fps!!!!

*hehehe :p 
May 3, 2007 8:01:53 PM

A turbo charger / tuning for my S2000...

Then spend the remaining $5k on a super fast computer. Let me know if you need help.
May 3, 2007 8:25:34 PM

Spend:

$2.5K on the computer
$2.5K on a sweet vacation to the tropics
$2.5K on a 1080p 46inch LCD
$2.5K on professionally installing the best audio setup you can get for the money
$5.0K on a donation to a cause so much worthier than your new toys.

EDIT
Hmm just for kicks.. what's the most I could possibly contemplate spending on a PC without [/i]really[/i] throwing away money... (ignoring the monitor for now)

(approximate prices)

QX6700 - $1000
Stryker Extreme - $300
2x2GB RAM - $400
2x8800GTX OC SLI - $1200
2xRaptor 150 - $400
2xHitachi 1TB - $800
PSU (take your pick) - $300
HDDVD drive - $500???
DVD/CD RW - $30 (hehe)

Custom painted case with PhaseChange Setup and lcd touchscreen
$1500???

Total - $7500, give or take

Hmm it does add up right quick ... dreams, dreams....

EDIT #2
For the people taking this guy seriously, 99% these posts are fakes... obviously
May 3, 2007 8:27:17 PM

I'll sell you mine for $12000
May 3, 2007 8:29:00 PM

i say you spend 13000 on psychological help and 2g's on a system. seriously.. if you need to resort to a forum and seek advice on what you should spend 15 effing grand on... you NEED HELP.. serious help.
May 3, 2007 8:31:02 PM

Quote:
I'll sell you mine for $12000

I'll sell him mine for $11999.99
May 3, 2007 8:34:09 PM

Hum. I thought the s2000's came with a turbo.

I will stick with the rx8 since adding a turbo made it all worth while (again).

P.S... the s2000s are just too small.
May 3, 2007 8:35:58 PM

heres an idea.

1500 on the actual build.
13500 on a college education or car. (or drop that into a high yield account and not touch it for 2 yrs or till you need a whole new build)
May 3, 2007 8:37:23 PM

15,000$ down payment on a house is the best advice I can give.
May 3, 2007 8:37:42 PM

Stupid double post. :oops: 
May 3, 2007 8:37:58 PM

Quote:
Hum. I thought the s2000's came with a turbo.

I will stick with the rx8 since adding a turbo made it all worth while (again).

P.S... the s2000s are just too small.

S2000's are 2.2L, normally aspirated, stock at 240 HP. The InlinePro turbo kit + full engine management is 400 HP safely to the wheels.

Two seater's are the perfect size for me. Just enough room for me and a woman...and my name never comes up when it's time to car pool :lol: 
May 3, 2007 8:41:43 PM

ROFL.

Well I love my RX8... the only complaint (only) is the lack of power for the gas it eats... Then again, i was one to do research on it and knew before I purchased it.

My insurance company classes my car as the folowing:

4 door coup 1.3 liter 2 cylinder vehicle with high safety rating.
AKA ... cheap.
May 3, 2007 8:47:39 PM

Quote:
Im Spending $15,000!! What to get?

A house.
May 3, 2007 8:49:55 PM

You cant get a house for 15k.

well.... you can... but I wouldn't want it.

If I had 15k i had to spend by tonight...
It would have to be car upgrades / Bill payoffs.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2007 8:53:11 PM

You know, I could use some money for college, I'll sell you the awesome system in my sig for $15000.
Is a 15k computer even possible if you don't buy a 40 inch monitor and some insane cooling system?
May 3, 2007 8:59:56 PM

Oh yes it is.

You can far surpass 15k for a single machine, but your are delving into production class computers.

Check out some of the machines by Sun. You can easily get into the high thousands.

Also if that OS is not your thing.... Check out the cost on server class CPU's, then double that with a dual socket mobo and 16gigs of ram and a quarto video card.

-----------------
I priced a Sun Workstation @ $ 30,715.00 without monitor or unnecessary items.

Sun Ultra40 Workstation.
Windows Xp 64.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2007 9:08:56 PM

i love how this guy asks for help and everyone just complains that they have no money. just buy the most expensive everything and there you go.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2007 9:19:04 PM

Ah yes, I forgot the server market. Their prices are insane. Glad I just need a gaming comp.
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2007 9:23:32 PM

A down payment towards a house? College education? A car? Therapy?

Far as 15K towards one computer, it is possible, but why? Just spend 2K every year and be up to date for the next seven years.
May 3, 2007 9:25:50 PM

Quote:
Therapy?

:trophy:
May 3, 2007 9:32:59 PM

Quote:

Sun Ultra40 Workstation.
Windows Xp 64.

That's why Sun has lost my vote. They are trying to offload AMD equipment at a high cost, and it isn't buying you anything more than other brands. But I will tell you that a $30k machine running XP makes me laugh. :lol: 
May 3, 2007 9:40:44 PM

Quote:

Far as 15K towards one computer, it is possible, but why? Just spend 2K every year and be up to date for the next seven years.

:trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:
May 3, 2007 9:43:26 PM

go to falcon northwest or voodoo or alienware and have them build one for you.
May 3, 2007 9:55:00 PM

Quote:

Sun Ultra40 Workstation.
Windows Xp 64.

That's why Sun has lost my vote. They are trying to offload AMD equipment at a high cost, and it isn't buying you anything more than other brands. But I will tell you that a $30k machine running XP makes me laugh. :lol: 

I chose XP. Sun has their own OS they use (solaris).

The specs are quite impressive for 30k though.
2.4TB of SAS storage.. 16GB ram... and a few other things. Price it out.
The drives alone cost $8000.... and the video card was 3k.

Then again.... I would have started a thread saying:

I have 500,000 to spend.. .what computer can I get?
(equally as meaningless).

But I would have said: The Sun Fire E25K Server of course. ... 500,000 starting price. (which I have 5 of... and endorse full threads... 1 I use to stream media to my Xbox... 1 to run my smart home... 1 to run my kids game server... and 1 to do backups of my data. Only 2.5 million dollars... .. Now, what could I do with a billion dollars? Someone build me a computer.).
Anonymous
May 3, 2007 10:46:23 PM

save it for your retirement
May 3, 2007 11:06:38 PM

A life and hmm..a clue..yeah that's what... :roll:
May 3, 2007 11:18:38 PM

lets see, i have $15,000 AND would

get a bang bus
May 3, 2007 11:22:51 PM

Gotta love how nobody took this thread seriously, they just spout off how much of a waste it is, to some people $2,000 is way too much for a computer(actually to most people that's way too much) while to most people on this board that's nothing out of the ordinary. Though the thing that got me is, the only kinda people who spend that much on a PC would be if they were serious about computers and they'd know exactly what they want...I know a guy that's worth 10million and he uses a Dell and dial up.

But still, whether this guy's for real or not you don't know, just have some fun with it and post your $15,000 config, don't tell him he's wasting his money repetitively throughout the entire thread.
May 3, 2007 11:33:34 PM

Telling him how much he is waisting his money is WAY MORE FUN.

And my average range for computers is between 2000-5000. Ya I regularly set up dells in that price range at one of the companies I work for.
May 3, 2007 11:54:16 PM

He never said what he'd be doing with this machine, if it was for a workstation I could easily rack up $10,000 in parts, but everyone on this board assumes that everyone in the world is a gamer.
May 3, 2007 11:58:11 PM

Quote:
He never said what he'd be doing with this machine, if it was for a workstation I could easily rack up $10,000 in parts, but everyone on this board assumes that everyone in the world is a gamer.

Quote one post that supports this.
May 4, 2007 12:04:15 AM

DAM!!! If only u had enough money for this:

AMD CPU

just wait a little longer, they might come back in stock. At least you will get free shipping. :lol: 
May 4, 2007 12:09:27 AM

You've been on this board for over a year, if you're to blind to see this by now, then I won't go searching for quotes to spoonfeed you. I won't search for the thread but a good example was there was a discussion of the QX6700, and someone's entire post was to the tune of "this is such a marketing gimmick, games can't even support 2 cores properly yet so what's the point" as if the CPU was designed for that.

Now common sense tells me someone spending $15,000 on a CPU is either

A. someone who needs the power for a workstation etc
B. is filthy rich and money doesn't matter anyway

so who cares either way? Just because you wouldn't spend that much doesn't mean you need to spam his entire thread, I spent about $6,500 on a pc just recently and I'm already wanting more.

Quote me one post in this thread where someone asked the guy what he was using it for, or contributed anything helpful for that matter.
May 4, 2007 12:13:08 AM

Quote:
DAM!!! If only u had enough money for this:

AMD CPU

just wait a little longer, they might come back in stock. At least you will get free shipping. Laughing

Not only is there free shipping, but you even get a $30 discount for using a Visa.
May 4, 2007 12:22:31 AM

Quote:
Now common sense tells me someone spending $15,000 on a CPU is either

A. someone who needs the power for a workstation etc
B. is filthy rich and money doesn't matter anyway

He could also be a troll. Notice how he never came back to give posters the information they need. After about the 15,000th thread that starts with "build me a $15,000 PC," you eventually realize that not all of these posts can possibly be real, and probably the majority of them are posting them for no reason other than to troll.

Also, I doubt that anyone with $15,000 to burn on one PC could have been through college and beyond with the atrocious grammar and spelling they demonstrate on these posts. You'd think that someone with that kind of money has a job that requires some intelligence? Maybe? Hmm? Prithee?
May 4, 2007 12:35:18 AM

15k on a computer, sheesh you need your head checked by a medical team LOL! ...
May 4, 2007 12:47:40 AM

Quote:
He could also be a troll. Notice how he never came back to give posters the information they need. After about the 15,000th thread that starts with "build me a $15,000 PC," you eventually realize that not all of these posts can possibly be real, and probably the majority of them are posting them for no reason other than to troll.

If he was a troll, then why even respond at all? Most of the replies have just been trolling and insults as well.

Quote:
Also, I doubt that anyone with $15,000 to burn on one PC could have been through college and beyond with the atrocious grammar and spelling they demonstrate on these posts. You'd think that someone with that kind of money has a job that requires some intelligence? Maybe? Hmm? Prithee?

Good point, but then it's become a trend to spell like a 5 year old, why people choose to present themselves as idiots I'll never know.
May 4, 2007 12:54:41 AM

If this guys seriously had 15k to spend on either a gaming machine or a workstation, i think anyone in their right mind would go and get counseling form either:

a) a systems vendor that sell workstations for a living, so he ->might<- get what he needs thats within is budget (since not all vendors are trustworthy in my book) or

b) a specialized boutique where he would get special treatment just because he's about to spend 15K in there (and maybe a BJ by the owner's wife to go with that)...

Don't think spending a couple hundred bucks to get professional insight on things would matter much compared to what he "wants" to spend...

I don't dismiss the wealth of information that the Forumz can provide, but it's exactly as if Joe Nobody would go and get advice about what 300K sports car he should buy to fill his needs on an internet forum where there's bound to be fanboys of all kinds giving biased advices.
May 4, 2007 1:07:00 AM

Quote:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:54 pm Post subject:
If this guys seriously had 15k to spend on either a gaming machine or a workstation, i think anyone in their right mind would go and get counseling form either:

a) a systems vendor that sell workstations for a living, so he ->might<- get what he needs thats within is budget (since not all vendors are trustworthy in my book) or

b) a specialized boutique where he would get special treatment just because he's about to spend 15K in there (and maybe a BJ by the owner's wife to go with that)...

Don't think spending a couple hundred bucks to get professional insight on things would matter much compared to what he "wants" to spend...

I don't dismiss the wealth of information that the Forumz can provide, but it's exactly as if Joe Nobody would go and get advice about what 300K sports car he should buy to fill his needs on an internet forum where there's bound to be fanboys of all kinds giving biased advices.

Right, but we could certainly give him a general idea of what to look for, or recommend a vendor. If I was gonna spend that much, I would certainly wanna make sure I wasn't being ripped off.
May 4, 2007 1:15:39 AM

Dual amd quad-core system with 2 high end video cards and HARDWARE raid 6! with a high end sound card.

amd quads will be out soon and intel dual cpu boards can't use sli or cross fire.
May 4, 2007 1:57:05 AM

Quote:
You've been on this board for over a year, if you're to blind to see this by now, then I won't go searching for quotes to spoonfeed you.

Just the reply I expected from you. disappointed Speaking of spoon feeding...

Quote:
Quote me one post in this thread where someone asked the guy what he was using it for, or contributed anything helpful for that matter.
As you will see none of your's.. :roll:

Quote:
Gotta love how nobody took this thread seriously, they just spout off how much of a waste it is, to some people $2,000 is way too much for a computer(actually to most people that's way too much) while to most people on this board that's nothing out of the ordinary. Though the thing that got me is, the only kinda people who spend that much on a PC would be if they were serious about computers and they'd know exactly what they want...I know a guy that's worth 10million and he uses a Dell and dial up.

But still, whether this guy's for real or not you don't know, just have some fun with it and post your $15,000 config, don't tell him he's wasting his money repetitively throughout the entire thread.
Nobody took this thread seriously, but you.

Quote:
but everyone on this board assumes that everyone in the world is a gamer.
Still not one quote from you on this.

Quote:
If he was a troll, then why even respond at all? Most of the replies have just been trolling and insults as well.
?????

Quote:
Right, but we could certainly give him a general idea of what to look for, or recommend a vendor. If I was gonna spend that much, I would certainly wanna make sure I wasn't being ripped off.
Than answer him and quit your complaining.

*Wipes JT001's chin and take's his bib off* You look full. :lol: 
May 4, 2007 2:03:26 AM

Just consult Falcon Northwest and they'll build one just for you.
May 4, 2007 2:27:03 AM

You need a life.
!