preparing for the future, Upgraded Windows CD

Tags:
  • CD-Rom
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 4, 2005 6:42:55 PM

Hi,
hope someone can help.

XP Pro (full version)
I recently had some problems with the way in which my printer was working,
and at one moment looked to see if I could do some kind of repair install of
windows.

when I tried to see what the CD would propose to me, I got the rather
discouraging message that "my" version of Windows was more recent than the
CD version and that therefore no installation was possible. I have
downloaded SP2 and various other upgrades from time to time over the last
few months, so I can understand why the CD thinks that it is now older.

What can I do about this please? Is it possible to burn a new installation
CD which incorporates the upgrades? I'd greatly appreciate some reasonably
detailed step-by-step instructions, if possible, as I am still on dial up
and so read & write here off line.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

More about : preparing future upgraded windows

Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:42:56 PM

You can "slip stream" SP2 into a copy of the Windows XP CD on your computer.
Then you copy the results to a new CD.

The program to use is called AutoStreamer. You can get it here - FREE!
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> hope someone can help.
>
> XP Pro (full version)
> I recently had some problems with the way in which my printer was working,
> and at one moment looked to see if I could do some kind of repair install
> of
> windows.
>
> when I tried to see what the CD would propose to me, I got the rather
> discouraging message that "my" version of Windows was more recent than the
> CD version and that therefore no installation was possible. I have
> downloaded SP2 and various other upgrades from time to time over the last
> few months, so I can understand why the CD thinks that it is now older.
>
> What can I do about this please? Is it possible to burn a new installation
> CD which incorporates the upgrades? I'd greatly appreciate some reasonably
> detailed step-by-step instructions, if possible, as I am still on dial up
> and so read & write here off line.
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 6:42:57 PM

Download link is not working. Any other suggestions? By the way I ran across
this thread searching for the answer to the exact same question.

news:o 0DJS6KUFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> You can "slip stream" SP2 into a copy of the Windows XP CD on your
> computer. Then you copy the results to a new CD.
>
> The program to use is called AutoStreamer. You can get it here - FREE!
> http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> "Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> hope someone can help.
>>
>> XP Pro (full version)
>> I recently had some problems with the way in which my printer was
>> working,
>> and at one moment looked to see if I could do some kind of repair install
>> of
>> windows.
>>
>> when I tried to see what the CD would propose to me, I got the rather
>> discouraging message that "my" version of Windows was more recent than
>> the
>> CD version and that therefore no installation was possible. I have
>> downloaded SP2 and various other upgrades from time to time over the last
>> few months, so I can understand why the CD thinks that it is now older.
>>
>> What can I do about this please? Is it possible to burn a new
>> installation
>> CD which incorporates the upgrades? I'd greatly appreciate some
>> reasonably
>> detailed step-by-step instructions, if possible, as I am still on dial up
>> and so read & write here off line.
>> --
>> All the Best
>> Ian Hoare
>> http://www.souvigne.com
>> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

May 4, 2005 10:05:37 PM

I can zip it up and e-mail it to you. It is less than 1 meg. Shouldn't take
but a few minutes.

Look at my e-mail address closely and remove what is necessary!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

May 5, 2005 12:16:37 AM

You can download AutoStreamer here:

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1092632287/1

--
Nepatsfan
"Caved" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Download link is not working. Any other suggestions? By the way
> I ran across this thread searching for the answer to the exact
> same question.
>
> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:o 0DJS6KUFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> You can "slip stream" SP2 into a copy of the Windows XP CD on
>> your computer. Then you copy the results to a new CD.
>>
>> The program to use is called AutoStreamer. You can get it
>> here - FREE! http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
>> knew!
>>

>> "Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>> hope someone can help.
>>>
>>> XP Pro (full version)
>>> I recently had some problems with the way in which my printer
>>> was working,
>>> and at one moment looked to see if I could do some kind of
>>> repair install of
>>> windows.
>>>
>>> when I tried to see what the CD would propose to me, I got
>>> the rather
>>> discouraging message that "my" version of Windows was more
>>> recent than the
>>> CD version and that therefore no installation was possible. I
>>> have
>>> downloaded SP2 and various other upgrades from time to time
>>> over the last
>>> few months, so I can understand why the CD thinks that it is
>>> now older.
>>>
>>> What can I do about this please? Is it possible to burn a new
>>> installation
>>> CD which incorporates the upgrades? I'd greatly appreciate
>>> some reasonably
>>> detailed step-by-step instructions, if possible, as I am
>>> still on dial up
>>> and so read & write here off line.
>>> --
>>> All the Best
>>> Ian Hoare
>>> http://www.souvigne.com
>>> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 4:34:39 AM

Salut/Hi Richard Urban,

le/on Wed, 4 May 2005 09:38:14 -0400, tu disais/you said:-

>You can "slip stream" SP2 into a copy of the Windows XP CD on your computer.
>Then you copy the results to a new CD.
>
>The program to use is called AutoStreamer. You can get it here - FREE!
>http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

Thanks very much. Link worked fine for me, by the way.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Caved,

le/on Wed, 4 May 2005 13:36:14 -0700, tu disais/you said:-

>Download link is not working. Any other suggestions? By the way I ran across
>this thread searching for the answer to the exact same question.

I did a google on Autostreamer and found this:-

http://mhtools.knoware.nl/raptor/autostreamer/AutoStrea...

Worked fine, but I'm somewhat mystified as to what to do next. When I
upgraded to SP2, I don't think it allowed me to save a separate version of
SP2. Sigh. And Autostreamer doesn't integrate any of the hotfixes either.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Thanks for the offer but I tracked it down. One question, can I use the .ISO
for other systems or is it specific to the system it was made on?
Thank,

news:o bfhvVPUFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I can zip it up and e-mail it to you. It is less than 1 meg. Shouldn't take
>but a few minutes.
>
> Look at my e-mail address closely and remove what is necessary!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

> "Caved" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Download link is not working. Any other suggestions? By the way I ran
>> across this thread searching for the answer to the exact same question.
>>
>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:o 0DJS6KUFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>>> You can "slip stream" SP2 into a copy of the Windows XP CD on your
>>> computer. Then you copy the results to a new CD.
>>>
>>> The program to use is called AutoStreamer. You can get it here - FREE!
>>> http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>

>>> "Ian Hoare" <ianhoare@angelfire.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
May 5, 2005 6:02:33 PM

If you have slipstreamed Windows XP Retail with SP2 you can use it for any
computer as long as you use the install key from another Windows XP Retail
CD. One install key = one computer - as always!

also, you can not use a Home key to install Professional etc.

--

> Thanks for the offer but I tracked it down. One question, can I use the
> .ISO for other systems or is it specific to the system it was made on?
> Thank,

> news:o bfhvVPUFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>>I can zip it up and e-mail it to you. It is less than 1 meg. Shouldn't
>>take but a few minutes.
>>
>> Look at my e-mail address closely and remove what is necessary!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

>> "Caved" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Download link is not working. Any other suggestions? By the way I ran
>>> across this thread searching for the answer to the exact same question.
>>>
>>> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o 0DJS6KUFHA.1044@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 3:51:34 AM

Salut/Hi Richard Urban,

le/on Wed, 4 May 2005 09:38:14 -0400, tu disais/you said:-

>You can "slip stream" SP2 into a copy of the Windows XP CD on your computer.
>Then you copy the results to a new CD.

Can I ask again. When I upgraded Windows to SP2 it was an "upgrade download"
- if that makes sense - and I don't think it was saved separately. Do you
know what file I should look for, and also where I should look for it?

I'm on dial up, and it is a slow old business to download all xxMb of the
full SP2 again.

Also, what happens to all the other upgrades that I have done since I
installed XP? I have just counted that I've downloaded 21 different "Hot
fixes" since I installed in January. Will I have to re-download all these as
well if I ever re-install windows after slipstreaming? Also, do none of
these disturb the re-install process - Remember that the reason I asked in
the first place was because of the message "your existing version of Windows
is more recent, install aborted".

I'm sorry to be persistent, but it worries me if there's a chance I'll NOT
be able to re-install in the event of serious problems.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

If you slipstream SP2 into a retail version (or any version I suppose) and
then use that CD to perform a "repair install" onto a PC - you have to
obtain all subsequent SP2 hotfixes again. There are ways to incorporate the
hotfixes into the CD also but I have never tried this.

Sorry to hear you are on dial-up as the SP2 file you need is huge! Get it
here - it's 270 meg!

You can also order a free SP2 CD here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...

--

> Salut/Hi Richard Urban,
>
> le/on Wed, 4 May 2005 09:38:14 -0400, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>You can "slip stream" SP2 into a copy of the Windows XP CD on your
>>computer.
>>Then you copy the results to a new CD.
>
> Can I ask again. When I upgraded Windows to SP2 it was an "upgrade
> download"
> - if that makes sense - and I don't think it was saved separately. Do you
> know what file I should look for, and also where I should look for it?
>
> I'm on dial up, and it is a slow old business to download all xxMb of the
> full SP2 again.
>
> Also, what happens to all the other upgrades that I have done since I
> installed XP? I have just counted that I've downloaded 21 different "Hot
> fixes" since I installed in January. Will I have to re-download all these
> as
> well if I ever re-install windows after slipstreaming? Also, do none of
> these disturb the re-install process - Remember that the reason I asked in
> the first place was because of the message "your existing version of
> Windows
> is more recent, install aborted".
>
> I'm sorry to be persistent, but it worries me if there's a chance I'll NOT
> be able to re-install in the event of serious problems.
> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 10:23:53 PM

Salut/Hi Richard Urban,

le/on Sat, 7 May 2005 10:34:26 -0400, tu disais/you said:-

>If you slipstream SP2 into a retail version (or any version I suppose) and
>then use that CD to perform a "repair install" onto a PC - you have to
>obtain all subsequent SP2 hotfixes again. There are ways to incorporate the
>hotfixes into the CD also but I have never tried this.
>
>Sorry to hear you are on dial-up as the SP2 file you need is huge! Get it
>here - it's 270 meg!
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

Gulp!! Thanks very much. I think I may just as my brother who's on broadband
to download it for me, burn it to CD and pop it in the post.

>You can also order a free SP2 CD here:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...

"Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery" :-((((

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

I got my CD in four (4) days!

--

news:p oqp719jhasr0tdj6se5os70rdid7dt4l6@4ax.com...
> Salut/Hi Richard Urban,
>
> le/on Sat, 7 May 2005 10:34:26 -0400, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>If you slipstream SP2 into a retail version (or any version I suppose) and
>>then use that CD to perform a "repair install" onto a PC - you have to
>>obtain all subsequent SP2 hotfixes again. There are ways to incorporate
>>the
>>hotfixes into the CD also but I have never tried this.
>>
>>Sorry to hear you are on dial-up as the SP2 file you need is huge! Get it
>>here - it's 270 meg!
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...
>
> Gulp!! Thanks very much. I think I may just as my brother who's on
> broadband
> to download it for me, burn it to CD and pop it in the post.
>

>>You can also order a free SP2 CD here:
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...
>
> "Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery" :-((((
>

> --
> All the Best
> Ian Hoare
> http://www.souvigne.com
> mailbox full to avoid spam. try me at website
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 4:08:50 PM

Salut/Hi Richard Urban,

le/on Sat, 7 May 2005 13:24:31 -0400, tu disais/you said:-

>I got my CD in four (4) days!

Well, thanks to my brother in the UK I got mine in two (2)!!

Seriously, thanks to all who helped. I have been able to slipstream an
upgraded version of WinXP with only a little difficulty, and it seems to
work fine. I _hope_ I don't have to find out whether it will reinstall Win
XP without problems ;-))
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare