Sign in with
Your question

How do i remove MY DOCUMENTS on win explorer

Last response: in Windows XP
May 5, 2007 2:12:21 PM

i dont know hot to remove it, since its really annoying the hell out of me... and i dont use it all!
May 5, 2007 11:39:39 PM

My Documents is a Windows System Folder and I don't think it can be removed. If you don't have any downloads/saves set to download to the Default location, which is usually in one of the folders in My Documents, it's easiest enough to avoid/ignore. If you haven't done so, delete the My Documents icon on your desktop
May 6, 2007 12:02:52 AM

ive tried deleting it from the win explorer.... then after closing the folder and opening it again... there it is again !!
Related resources
May 6, 2007 11:41:22 PM

where in explorer? you mean desktop or do you want to delete the whole folder from teh system? or do you want to move the whole folder?
May 7, 2007 4:27:23 AM

because everytime i open up windows explorer... it defaults to my documents..... even if i delete it... its still there.... it really annoying me....thx alot !
May 7, 2007 7:39:37 AM

Dark_Placebo there is a big problem here I don't think you understand what you are saying.

windows explorer is what boots up when you run windows, so your statement makes no sense.

can you explain better or provide a screenshot?
Anonymous
May 7, 2007 11:44:19 AM

Read this.

edklite,

I think Dark_Placebo wants Explorer to open in some other folder then My Documents.

Grumpy
May 7, 2007 8:35:46 PM

lol I still don't get that. does he mean every folder he open opens the my document folder? doesn't explorer open in desktop?
May 7, 2007 9:34:44 PM

I think Grumpy has the solution. When you open Windows Explorer it opens to My Documents folder by default. The best he can do is to change the default folder when he opens Windows Explorer given you can't delete My Documents folder
May 7, 2007 11:14:20 PM

ok what in gods name are you guys talking about? you are not talking about explorer.exe.

windows explorer is a part of the os and runs on start up, you dont' run explorer, so can somebody tell me what you guys are talking about?
Anonymous
May 7, 2007 11:43:34 PM

Start --> All Programs --> Accessories --> Windows Explorer

Grumpy
May 7, 2007 11:46:42 PM

lol thx grumpy I was about go nuts, had not used that for ages
May 8, 2007 9:07:15 AM

w00t w00t !!!!! thanks alot !! i never knew it could actually work THE WAY I LIKE it !!!!

THANKS ALOT !!!!!!!!

w00t w00t !! **dance**

(am happy.....)
February 28, 2009 12:51:52 PM

By changing the Target field in the Win Explorer icon Properties you can suppress the display of My Documents and start WE with the tree collapsed - just displaying drive letters:

C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE /n,/e,/select,c:
Opens My Computer showing all drives collapsed

C:\Windows\Explorer.exe /n,/e,/select,C:\
Opens at C drive. Replace the C:\ with any other drive letter and it will open in that drive instead.

NOTE: If you manually change the path in the shortcut, you may have to remove the quotes at the beginning and end of the path before it will work.

There are a number of other options not shown here.

rev

February 28, 2009 8:16:40 PM

hey Ive been quoted
February 28, 2009 9:12:12 PM

Actually the above instructions don't 'remove' My Docs, they just start with the tree collapsed. You can completely remove My Docs from both WE and the Start Menu using the Group Policy Editor.

Start > Run > mmc

ADD policy > start digging > you'll find it under WE or Start Menu
January 21, 2012 2:55:15 PM

revnice said:
Actually the above instructions don't 'remove' My Docs, they just start with the tree collapsed. You can completely remove My Docs from both WE and the Start Menu using the Group Policy Editor.

Start > Run > mmc

ADD policy > start digging > you'll find it under WE or Start Menu

In Xp-home there is no Group Policy Editor.
I tried starting mmc where one can add a snap-in but do not see how to
use that to achieve the wipe out of "My Documents"-Folder in the tree panel
of windows explorer.
Could you please give more details ?
1234seng
!