Odd graphics issue, help please.

fastin

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
When playing any FPS or FPS viewed game and turning around in a circle the image seems to somewhat shake. It's slightly hard to explain because Im not exactly sure what it is. It appears to be somewhat of a wave/flicker type lag.

If you open up a window in XP and start moving it around fairly fast and you look at the borders it will produce the same type of effect. Its like the monitor/video card can't keep up with the image it for lack of a better word lags and shifts up/down etc.

E6600
8800 GTS 640mb
Samsung 226BW 22inch

Is what Im using.

Is this a driver issue? Monitor issue or what? Only have about 5 days to return the monitor so need to find out quickly thanks.

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
well due, from what i can say. if your playing at MAX settings and at 1680x1050 res. i could be your card but 640mb of memory is enough to game without a problem. try getting an Omega driver if u already have the latest N drivers. your LCD isnt the problem, 2ms response time is fast and isnt whats causing the "flickering". try turning off the Dynamic contrast off when playing a game. good luck man :)

fastin

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Hmm. I didn't know you could turn it off, how do I do this. I've tried dropping the resolution down to a very 1052 and still had the same issue.

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
dont drop your resolution, its not that. see, your LCD has Dynamic contrast, this means the LCD trys to simulate 3000:1 contrast ratio; your actual contrast is 1000:1. the LCD, when playing a game trys to make 3000:1 contrast ratio but the speed, resolution and quality of the image being produced is too much and u notice the LCD blurring, skipping and "LAG". the Dynamic contrast is ideal for watching Movies but for everything else it sucks. heres a link to disable the feature. http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/03/15/Samsung_226BW/2.html . go to the presets and chose "GAME" and if that doesnt work chose "SPORT"

fastin

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Ok I have come to the conclusion that it isn't the monitor. I hooked up my PC to my CRT and to my LCD TV and get the same type of issue.

So Im thinking either its the video card or the drivers.

Ive tried about 4 or 5 of the latest drivers so Im doubting that is the issue. Should I contact EVGA or just RMA it back to Newegg?

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
umm, EVGA is pretty good with they're guarantees. call them up and see what they'll do. i personally buy my cards right from ATI; i had a problem with my previous x800xl and they gave me no problems at all. if evga gives u a problem, ship it back and for XFX. they are reliable from what i hear here in the forums. Good Luck