Sign in with
Your question

Stuck on choosing which Motherboard....please help!

Last response: in Systems
May 3, 2007 11:01:10 PM

I have decided to build a computer for basic use but with a little punch so I can edit some video and record my podcast as well. This is what I have chosen

Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
2 gb DDR2/800 Corsair RAM

I was looking at the Intel BOXDG965MSCK mother board - although it only has 2 PCI slots It looks good otherwise - I can't find any reviews or opinions on this and would like to know what you guys think of it? I truly rely on the opinions of real users and it looks like you guys know your stuff
here is a newegg link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813121068

I don't want to spend more than about $100 on a mobo - can you suggest a better one with similar specs? I like the fac tthat it has video and firewire built on the board.

Thanks!
May 3, 2007 11:21:41 PM

Well the Gigabyte DS3 is a very good motherboard (a lot of people have it, and I can recommend it from personal experience). Secondly, are you planning to overclock?
May 3, 2007 11:28:06 PM

I am coming from an Amd 1400 with 512 mb ram setup - I don't think I would be over clocking since the speed it is normally supposed to run should be pretty awesome (especially in comparison) - If you know of a similar mobo with better overclocking abilities please let me know (from what I have read I don't think Intel is a very overclockable mobo co)
Related resources
May 3, 2007 11:31:29 PM

The Gigabyte DS3 has good overclocking abilities. You could save some cash by getting the E4300 and overclocking it above the E6420 (the E4300 overclockers really well). An after-market HSF would be nice, but you can overclock to above 2.8GHz on the stock cooler. I'd still only suggest getting DDR2-667 RAM - 800 is for people that really want to push their hardware to the limit.
If you don't want to overclock, just get the DS3 mainboard, DDR2-533 RAM, and whatever CPU you can then afford (a stock E6600 would be nice).
May 3, 2007 11:38:55 PM

Quote:
The Gigabyte DS3 has good overclocking abilities. You could save some cash by getting the E4300 and overclocking it above the E6420 (the E4300 overclockers really well). An after-market HSF would be nice, but you can overclock to above 2.8GHz on the stock cooler. I'd still only suggest getting DDR2-667 RAM - 800 is for people that really want to push their hardware to the limit.
If you don't want to overclock, just get the DS3 mainboard, DDR2-533 RAM, and whatever CPU you can then afford (a stock E6600 would be nice).

So what you are saying is to get the E4300 and in the Gigabyte DS3 BIOS, overclock it to 2.8mz and with 2gb of DDR2-667 RAM I would get a pretty nice result? THis sounds really interesting since the DS3 can support higher and when the prices get lowe I can jsut on that - If I understand you correctly this could otentially save me a lot of $$$

Please let me know if I am on the right track.

oh - I never overclocked anything - this is really a BIOS setting right? Buying a better fan for the CPU is a pretty good idea methinks but I can set it up with the stock fan?
May 3, 2007 11:47:09 PM

Yeah, exactly right. I'm planning on getting an E4300 with a DS3 and 2GB of DDR2-667 RAM myself. Overclocking isn't too hard - there's a guide in the overclocking section of this forum that tells you everything you need to do it. I'm personally getting an after-market HSF just to cut down on noise, but the stock cooler should do. I've seen the E4300 pushed above 3.2GHz on the stock cooler...
May 3, 2007 11:58:34 PM

After looking at the prices it ends up that I am only saving $115 if I go for the 633 ram and E4300 instead of 800 and 6420 - by adding a Firewire card to the Gigabyte I get my camcorder access but would you recommended this would to be a very good system with the 800 and 6420? I could over cloth the 6420 as well I am assuming.....

that mobo is great since it is full size not a tiny one
May 4, 2007 2:27:43 AM

eh??
May 4, 2007 3:12:05 AM

I have been using DFI for a few Years now and I Love Them. I am a computer conslutant and get to use anything I want to try. I used most mother board brands that have been around for more than a few years. I've been disapointed more than once by ASUS.

I use this DFI Infinity 975 X/G it was easy to over clock thaks to the fourms at DFI Club.

DFI Recienty released a 965 Chip Set Board as well.
May 4, 2007 9:08:11 AM

Yeah, you can of course overclock the E6420 as well, although it'll be slightly harder as it has a lower multiplier than the E4300. Obviously, you're getting 4MB of cache, but that generally doesn't make much difference (I think the biggest gains are seen if you multi-task a lot). Even with the E6420, 800MHz RAM is going to be a lot - you'll still struggle to push the FSB high enough to match up on any of the C2D processors. If there's a sizeable difference between the 800 RAM and 667 RAM, then go with the 667. If not, you could always get the 800 RAM to future proof.
However, remember that the $115 you save with the E4300 and 667 RAM you could use to get a decent after-market HSF (like the Noctua U12F) to make your system nice and quiet.
May 4, 2007 1:35:12 PM

Quote:

I was looking at the Intel BOXDG965MSCK mother board - although it only has 2 PCI slots It looks good otherwise - I can't find any reviews or opinions on this and would like to know what you guys think of it? I truly rely on the opinions of real users and it looks like you guys know your stuff !

A colleague of mine has the same mobo and is very pleased with it - so he says anyway. I have a 975 mobo from Intel myself and I am also very happy with it. So if you're looking for an opinion on Intel boards, I can give you one.

A lot of people would say go with Asus or Gigabyte or MSI boards since they are loaded with features. That is absolutely true. If you're looking for fancy snassy stuff, don't go with Intel. On the other hand if you "just" want a solid board with nothing out of the ordinary when it come to features, Intel will give you that.
!