Fastest RPM 120mm fan?

needhelpnoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Id like to move as much air ass possible. I'm wondering which 120mm fan does this best? I have thermaltakes right now, they max at 2800 RPM's. I've seen a couple 3100 RPM fans on the market, I'm wondering if there is anything higher?

mythos

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
better get two of em that way you can really simulate dual jets...

Why do you want to move so much air in any case? just outta curiosity

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Id like to move as much air ass possible. I'm wondering which 120mm fan does this best? I have thermaltakes right now, they max at 2800 RPM's. I've seen a couple 3100 RPM fans on the market, I'm wondering if there is anything higher?

I overclocked a ThermalTake 120 to 11,380RPM before it blew a blade.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005

yeah, what they said. i'm currently using a couple 200+ cfm fans, you dont necessarily want high RPMs you want HIGH CFM.

and of course you're going to trade off. i have 6 HIGH cfm 120 mm fans including 2 silverstone fans and 4 comair fans, the comairs are ~220 cfm.

BUT, they are on a file server that sits in the computer room that few people ever have need to go in. it would be impossible to have those on my main machine, just too damn loud. but they push a hell of a lot of air and if the computers are in their own room then it's great.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
better get two of em that way you can really simulate dual jets...

Why do you want to move so much air in any case? just outta curiosity

i'm running 6 200+ CFM 120mm fans in one of my computers.

it's a 12u rackmount case that sits in my computer room (currently housing 3 servers) and is designed for massive storage. it currently holds 2.5 terabytes but it's expandable to over 10 using 500 gig drives. if i switch to 1 terabyte drives in the future the thing could go over 20 terabytes with the capability to hold 26 total hard drives.

so... yeah... i want to keep that stuff cool, but i'm not going to be in the same room with the beast ;) that's one application for the high flow fans, but generally you dont want them on a main use computer. unless you like shouting and wear headphones a lot.

Valis
CEO
Valis Enterprises
http://www.valissoft.com

needhelpnoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Thank you for the link I just ordered two.

This is a regular ATX case, however, I am installing one on my Scythe ninja plus CPU heatsink and the other is the exhaust fan.

Sound is not a problem for me, I love loud pc fans.

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Your signature supports this previously established maturity.

Although the thought of Cheeze with ANY sort of [aforementioned object] near her causes my eyebrows to rise a bit.
-cm

needhelpnoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2006

Overclocked? I would be interested in trying this for my front 120mm Thermaltake fan. I'd go to 4600 RPMS with it and see how long it lasts.

How do I go about trying this?

celewign

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
Remember, if you want to overclock your fan to get higher RPMs, you will need to cool it with a fan so it doesn't overheat. I suggest a 140mm fan cooling your overclocked 120mm to do the trick.
Cheerio.
-cm

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Nah, even witha 140mm fan the 120mm one would die before it got to 10,000 RPM. You need one of these if you want the fan to last past 10 minutes at 11,380.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006

Im tossing the BS card on that statement!!! I dont believe that for a second!!

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Thank you for the link I just ordered two.

This is a regular ATX case, however, I am installing one on my Scythe ninja plus CPU heatsink and the other is the exhaust fan.

Sound is not a problem for me, I love loud pc fans.

I also have a scythe ninja and Im telling you right now that the extra air is going to do just about ZERO for reducing your CPU temp.

I broke my HS fan (49 or so cfm) and switched to a temporary low rpm fan(35 or so cfm) I ordered a Minebea 73cfm replacement as well as another 46CFM scythe fan and the difference from the 30cfm fan to the 70cfm fan was about 2-3C. And that could have just been the difference in the ambient room temp. The Ninja takes very little air to do it job. My prediction for replacing the stock fan with a 200cfm fan is that you'll get 2C drop in temp and a hell of alot of noise. The exhaust fan switch will probably do more for your CPU temp then putting one on the HS.

Im not sure if you realize what 60dBA sounds like. Going from 20dBA to 23dBA is not a 15% increase. Its a 100% increase in sound intensity. Twice as loud, and 20dBA to 26dBA is 4x as loud!!! By the time you increase from your SILENT 18dBA stok fan to a 60dBA leaf blower its gonna be like REALLY LOUD!!!!!

Im trying to think of something that runs about 60dBA. Maybe a relatevly quiet generator, a loud conversation, an old sewing machine...that wat 60dBA is going to sound like and you want to put 2 of them in your desktop??? hehe...you better get a fan controller!

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006

Im tossing the BS card on that statement!!! I dont believe that for a second!!

Of course not. It only lasted 105 milliseconds at 11,380 rpms, which closely matches 5-blade fan resonance behavior and the proportionality law relating the square of the lifetime before self-destruction and angular velocity. I'd done the math in advance so it's not like it was a big surprise but it was still a fun experiment.

needhelpnoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I also have a scythe ninja and Im telling you right now that the extra air is going to do just about ZERO for reducing your CPU temp.

I broke my HS fan (49 or so cfm) and switched to a temporary low rpm fan(35 or so cfm) I ordered a Minebea 73cfm replacement as well as another 46CFM scythe fan and the difference from the 30cfm fan to the 70cfm fan was about 2-3C. And that could have just been the difference in the ambient room temp. The Ninja takes very little air to do it job. My prediction for replacing the stock fan with a 200cfm fan is that you'll get 2C drop in temp and a hell of alot of noise. The exhaust fan switch will probably do more for your CPU temp then putting one on the HS.

Im not sure if you realize what 60dBA sounds like. Going from 20dBA to 23dBA is not a 15% increase. Its a 100% increase in sound intensity. Twice as loud, and 20dBA to 26dBA is 4x as loud!!! By the time you increase from your SILENT 18dBA stok fan to a 60dBA leaf blower its gonna be like REALLY LOUD!!!!!

Im trying to think of something that runs about 60dBA. Maybe a relatevly quiet generator, a loud conversation, an old sewing machine...that wat 60dBA is going to sound like and you want to put 2 of them in your desktop??? hehe...you better get a fan controller!

I already upgraded from the stock 120mm fan that comes with the scythe, which I believe is 1500rpm. I moved to a 2800 rpm thermaltake, and the temps drops to 63* idle on my 3.15ghz oc'd e4300 with a 1.4vcore. After running prime95 torture test four hours it never goes above 108*'s which is pretty good in my opinion.

With the stock fan I was well over 120*'s, and idle was 77* or so.

The computer is in a cabinet that butts up against an opening into a big storage. I can barely hear these fans until I open it up.

needhelpnoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
I just tested the cabinet I put a mini vacuum in there (its SUPER loud). I could hear it but it wasn't very loud. I almost always have my AC conditioner on (which it wasnt this morning when i tested) but when thats on, it drowns out most everything.

Any thanks for info, I already ordered two of the Delta 120x38mm TFB1212GHE Extreme High Speed fans.

I'll post some videos with the case side off/on and then with everything full blast where it will be permanently housed.