pls help my noobish overclock by offering your wisdome

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
i think ive got her stable at 3.4 ghz, though ive only tested orthos blend for 2 hours so i guess thats not exactly stable. im at about 1.40*** v core, and +1.0 on the vdimm, +1 on the Vfsb. i left the mch at default. my fsb is 378x9. other than these setttings and of course turning features to disabled, i havnt changed anything else. my temps under 100% load in TAT go up to 68C. im using a Noctua NH-U12F

I might possibly try and push for 3.6, if theres any point- once ive fully got it stable. So what would i need to change to get up to 3.6? ive heard from what other people have said that theres are at 3.4 with around 1.37500 v core, but for me i couldnt get it stable with that little vcore- but i dont understand what the Vfsb, mch, and other volts do so i guess im missing some stuff here. What volts or stuff do i increase to enable me to decrease my vcore some more? thx in advance

James10

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
I'm in a similar position. I've got my E6600@3.4Ghz with 1.4v to get it completely stable. I have not changed any other voltages. I've got a Tuniq Tower 120, and it gets up to 67 degrees in TAT. Should I try and get to 3.6Ghz, or will it get too hot?

I don't think increasing other voltages will enable you to lower the vcore, but I may be wrong. I don't know much about the other voltages either.

Starmonger

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
i have noticed that my idle temps are getting much lower each day. either this is because the arctic silver 5 is still settling in (the heatsink was installed 5 days ago), or its just that its much cooler if its been turned off all night. anyway it idled at 50C the other day with the 3.4 overclock, but when i turned on the computer just now i saw it at 41C. Btw mine also gets up to about the same temps as you, if I put 100% load on TAT. I think thats ok, in the temperature guide it says 65C normal, 70C warm, 75C hot. so i guess that means you can safely go slightly above 70C?