Integrating a Samsung HDTV into my confusing entertainment..

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
December 9, 2004 12:02:40 PM

After much research, I'm contemplating purchasing a widescreen HDTV--a
Samsung HL-P5063W. However, I'm confused over how I would integrate it
into my entertainment system. Please excuse my unfamiliarity and the
length of this post; I'm new here, although I've learned a lot from
reading other posts.

The Samsung has a plethora of inputs:

HDMI 1 Rear
DVI 1 Rear
Component 2 Rear
S-Video 1 Side / 2 Rear
RCA Composite 1 Side / 2 Rear
PC Input 1 Rear
RF (coaxial?) 2 In / 1 Out

I have the following video sources:

1. Progressive-scan DVD. Outputs: RCA Composite*, S-Video, and
480i/480p component video.

2. VCR. Yuck. Outputs: RF* and RCA Composite.

3. Xbox. Outputs: RCA Composite* and component video.

4. Dish Network (SD). Outputs: RF, RCA Composite, and S-Video.

(BTW, I plan to upgrade to Dish's or DirecTV's HD or HD DVR offering. I
believe Dish's HD receiver has DVI (would connect using this),
component video, and S-Video outputs. Also, I'd like the ability to add
a PC-based PVR (running Beyond TV or WinXP MCE); not sure how I would
connect it to the Samsung. There's also the possiblity of connecting an
HDTV receiver for any OTA HD channels--unless Dish/DirecTV can provide
that with their service.)

Currently, the first three numbered video sources are connected to a
higher-end-but-three-year-old Sony receiver, using the methods marked
with an asterisk. The receiver's video is output to my 20-year old
Panasonic TV. I hoped to connect the Samsung in a similar way; but
since my receiver doesn't support component video, I figure that's a
poor choice. Do you agree? Without a receiver that supports component
video, should all of these video sources be connected *directly to* the
Samsung? From what I can tell, I have enough inputs available.
Thanks for any comments, observations, and suggestions!
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
December 9, 2004 5:30:32 PM

Guy (newsgroupposter@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> Without a receiver that supports component
> video, should all of these video sources be connected *directly to* the
> Samsung?

For now, yes.

Use the following inputs:

DVD: component (set the player to output 480p)
VCR: composite
Xbox: component
Dish: S-Video

The Dish HD receiver might have DVI (I'm not familiar with new Dish
equipment), so you wouldn't even need a new receiver when you get that...just
hook it straight to the TV. An SD-only PC-based PVR should use S-Video
to connect to the TV...most video cards have this output now.

Later, you can shop around for a receiver that does all that you want.

--
Jeff Rife |
SPAM bait: | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/TechBigot.gif

Guy wrote:

> The Samsung has a plethora of inputs:
>
> HDMI 1 Rear
> DVI 1 Rear
> Component 2 Rear
> S-Video 1 Side / 2 Rear
> RCA Composite 1 Side / 2 Rear
> PC Input 1 Rear
> RF (coaxial?) 2 In / 1 Out

If your Samsung is like mine, it doesn't really have as many inputs as
it looks like it has. For instance, each of the side inputs is
electrically connected to one of the rear inputs. And on mine, the
component inputs share jacks with composite inputs. So don't be
surprised if you end up using up much more of the supply of inputs than
you thought you would.

Plus, for some weird reason, the audio monitor jacks go silent when
playing from component input. But that's another story.

Anyway, yeah, use component for the dvd and the xbox, composite or S
for the SD sat box, composite for the VCR. If you get an HD satellite
box it ought to have a digital connector.
Related resources
December 9, 2004 6:51:19 PM

Thanks for your comments!

Dish's HD receiver definitely has DVI.

The inputs I listed are just the ones on the rear. The specs say it has
inputs on the side, too, but I'm not planning to use them.
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
December 10, 2004 3:12:05 AM

> After much research, I'm contemplating purchasing a widescreen HDTV--a
> Samsung HL-P5063W. However, I'm confused over how I would integrate it
> into my entertainment system. Please excuse my unfamiliarity and the
> length of this post; I'm new here, although I've learned a lot from
> reading other posts.
>
> The Samsung has a plethora of inputs:
>
> HDMI 1 Rear
> DVI 1 Rear
> Component 2 Rear
> S-Video 1 Side / 2 Rear
> RCA Composite 1 Side / 2 Rear
> PC Input 1 Rear
> RF (coaxial?) 2 In / 1 Out
>
> I have the following video sources:
>
> 1. Progressive-scan DVD. Outputs: RCA Composite*, S-Video, and
> 480i/480p component video.

Connect this to a component video input and set it to output 480p.

> 2. VCR. Yuck. Outputs: RF* and RCA Composite.

Use the RCA composite. Consider getting a better VCR.

> 3. Xbox. Outputs: RCA Composite* and component video.

Use the component video.

> 4. Dish Network (SD). Outputs: RF, RCA Composite, and S-Video.

Use the S-Video.

> (BTW, I plan to upgrade to Dish's or DirecTV's HD or HD DVR offering. I
> believe Dish's HD receiver has DVI (would connect using this),
> component video, and S-Video outputs. Also, I'd like the ability to add

Yes, if the Dish receiver has DVI, use that.

If you have a 5.1-capable home theater sound system, use digital audio
connections to that. I have yet to notice any real difference between
optical and wire connections for that.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

December 10, 2004 12:26:00 PM

If you get the Dish 921 (I love it!!) you'll have no need for a
VCR...instantly obsolete.

"Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After much research, I'm contemplating purchasing a widescreen HDTV--a
> Samsung HL-P5063W. However, I'm confused over how I would integrate it
> into my entertainment system. Please excuse my unfamiliarity and the
> length of this post; I'm new here, although I've learned a lot from
> reading other posts.
>
> The Samsung has a plethora of inputs:
>
> HDMI 1 Rear
> DVI 1 Rear
> Component 2 Rear
> S-Video 1 Side / 2 Rear
> RCA Composite 1 Side / 2 Rear
> PC Input 1 Rear
> RF (coaxial?) 2 In / 1 Out
>
> I have the following video sources:
>
> 1. Progressive-scan DVD. Outputs: RCA Composite*, S-Video, and
> 480i/480p component video.
>
> 2. VCR. Yuck. Outputs: RF* and RCA Composite.
>
> 3. Xbox. Outputs: RCA Composite* and component video.
>
> 4. Dish Network (SD). Outputs: RF, RCA Composite, and S-Video.
>
> (BTW, I plan to upgrade to Dish's or DirecTV's HD or HD DVR offering. I
> believe Dish's HD receiver has DVI (would connect using this),
> component video, and S-Video outputs. Also, I'd like the ability to add
> a PC-based PVR (running Beyond TV or WinXP MCE); not sure how I would
> connect it to the Samsung. There's also the possiblity of connecting an
> HDTV receiver for any OTA HD channels--unless Dish/DirecTV can provide
> that with their service.)
>
> Currently, the first three numbered video sources are connected to a
> higher-end-but-three-year-old Sony receiver, using the methods marked
> with an asterisk. The receiver's video is output to my 20-year old
> Panasonic TV. I hoped to connect the Samsung in a similar way; but
> since my receiver doesn't support component video, I figure that's a
> poor choice. Do you agree? Without a receiver that supports component
> video, should all of these video sources be connected *directly to* the
> Samsung? From what I can tell, I have enough inputs available.
> Thanks for any comments, observations, and suggestions!

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
December 11, 2004 2:12:59 PM

Hi, I also have the hlp5063w and the Dish 811 receiver connected via DVI.My
question is,what is the advantage of running ANY video into a surround sound
receiver,as opposed to going directly into the TV ? Isn't component from a
dvd player analog ? So wouldn't there be some degradation ? Thanks
"curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
> If you get the Dish 921 (I love it!!) you'll have no need for a
> VCR...instantly obsolete.
>
> "Guy" <newsgroupposter@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> After much research, I'm contemplating purchasing a widescreen HDTV--a
>> Samsung HL-P5063W. However, I'm confused over how I would integrate it
>> into my entertainment system. Please excuse my unfamiliarity and the
>> length of this post; I'm new here, although I've learned a lot from
>> reading other posts.
>>
>> The Samsung has a plethora of inputs:
>>
>> HDMI 1 Rear
>> DVI 1 Rear
>> Component 2 Rear
>> S-Video 1 Side / 2 Rear
>> RCA Composite 1 Side / 2 Rear
>> PC Input 1 Rear
>> RF (coaxial?) 2 In / 1 Out
>>
>> I have the following video sources:
>>
>> 1. Progressive-scan DVD. Outputs: RCA Composite*, S-Video, and
>> 480i/480p component video.
>>
>> 2. VCR. Yuck. Outputs: RF* and RCA Composite.
>>
>> 3. Xbox. Outputs: RCA Composite* and component video.
>>
>> 4. Dish Network (SD). Outputs: RF, RCA Composite, and S-Video.
>>
>> (BTW, I plan to upgrade to Dish's or DirecTV's HD or HD DVR offering. I
>> believe Dish's HD receiver has DVI (would connect using this),
>> component video, and S-Video outputs. Also, I'd like the ability to add
>> a PC-based PVR (running Beyond TV or WinXP MCE); not sure how I would
>> connect it to the Samsung. There's also the possiblity of connecting an
>> HDTV receiver for any OTA HD channels--unless Dish/DirecTV can provide
>> that with their service.)
>>
>> Currently, the first three numbered video sources are connected to a
>> higher-end-but-three-year-old Sony receiver, using the methods marked
>> with an asterisk. The receiver's video is output to my 20-year old
>> Panasonic TV. I hoped to connect the Samsung in a similar way; but
>> since my receiver doesn't support component video, I figure that's a
>> poor choice. Do you agree? Without a receiver that supports component
>> video, should all of these video sources be connected *directly to* the
>> Samsung? From what I can tell, I have enough inputs available.
>> Thanks for any comments, observations, and suggestions!

December 13, 2004 1:49:54 PM

Please share your experiences with the Dish 921. I didn't think it was
available yet....of if it was, it was obscenely expensive.

Also, can HDTV content be recorded to--or perhaps be converted to a
format that can be recorded on--a standard VHS VCR? Is it watchable
until I would get an HDTV DVR?

!