Desktop Icons

I can successfully place my desktop icons where I want them, in groups
around the screen.
But when I restart XP, they appear in their correct positions, but very
soonthey flick back to the default vertical columns.

Very irritating. Do you know how to fix it please?

PeeJay

Right click on a clear part of the desktop.. select 'arrange by', then
uncheck 'auto arrange'..

Good luck

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Peejayell" <nospamthanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I can successfully place my desktop icons where I want them, in groups
> around the screen.
> But when I restart XP, they appear in their correct positions, but very
> soonthey flick back to the default vertical columns.
>
> Very irritating. Do you know how to fix it please?

Thanks Mike - I have been trying that, but without success.
The trouble is that the icons stay put throughout the session, and also on
re-starting. It's only after all the background tasks have started up that
they suddenly ping back to the auto positions.
I suspect I 've got a fault of some sort.

Peejayell

> PeeJay
>
> Right click on a clear part of the desktop.. select 'arrange by', then
> uncheck 'auto arrange'..
>
> Good luck
>
> --
> Mike Hall
> MVP - Windows Shell/user
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Peejayell" <nospamthanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I can successfully place my desktop icons where I want them, in groups
>> around the screen.
>> But when I restart XP, they appear in their correct positions, but very
>> soonthey flick back to the default vertical columns.
>>
>> Very irritating. Do you know how to fix it please?

Byte

Uncheck Auto Arrange
Then, uncheck Align to Grid
Move the icons where you want them.
Recheck Align to Grid.
Reboot
--
I'm no expert, but I did stay at
the Holiday Inn Express last night.

"Peejayell" wrote:

> Thanks Mike - I have been trying that, but without success.
> The trouble is that the icons stay put throughout the session, and also on
> re-starting. It's only after all the background tasks have started up that
> they suddenly ping back to the auto positions.
> I suspect I 've got a fault of some sort.
>
> Peejayell
>
> "Mike Hall (MS-MVP)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > PeeJay
> >
> > Right click on a clear part of the desktop.. select 'arrange by', then
> > uncheck 'auto arrange'..
> >
> > Good luck
> >
> > --
> > Mike Hall
> > MVP - Windows Shell/user
> >
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Peejayell" <nospamthanks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>I can successfully place my desktop icons where I want them, in groups
> >> around the screen.
> >> But when I restart XP, they appear in their correct positions, but very
> >> soonthey flick back to the default vertical columns.
> >>
> >> Very irritating. Do you know how to fix it please?

Thanks - that's worth a try.
peejayell.