chikitapapa

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Hey I just put together my first build, its has an E6600 with and MSI P6n SLI Platinum mother board. Well anyways when i turn it on theres no system check or anything, the screen just flashes with an msi logo a few times and goes to a blank screen that says something about selecting boot device. Do you install windows first or the bios?

scoot241

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
The BIOS is already installed on the motherboard. If you want to update the BIOS, you can do that before installing Windows (I'm not familiar with this specific motherboard, so I can't tell you how exactly to do that).

It sounds like you need to enter the BIOS (sometimes by pressing the Delete key when the logo screen comes up; check your motherboard manual or the logo screen itself) and select your boot device. At first, you want your first boot device to be the optical drive your Windows disc is in so that the computer will boot from the disc. Then, once you install Windows, you can change your boot device to be the hard drive you install Windows on. Again, check the manual for specifics on how to do this, as I'm not familiar with this particular board.

Jodym2

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
I congradulate you on your first build!
I hate to see these poor suckers buying Pre Built Systems.

It sounds like you got a good start at least it posted.

Usually you press Del a few times on start up the enter BIOS. Make sure you use a PS/2 Key Board as the USB has problems prior to booting windows.

I would turn off the splash screen that covers up the Posting Information.

I think it will boot from the CD/DVD because the Hard Drive has no OS.