How can I transfer OS XP SP2 to new hard drive?

paticpatic

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I have an old, slow, small c drive with OS XP SP2. I bought a faster, bigger hard drive, installed it as d drive.

I tried Norton Ghost 12 to copy all data from c to d, but Norton returns various errors and stops.

Is there an easy way to copy my entire c drive to d drive. Than, I can remove old c drive and boot up with newer, faster drive?

Thanks for any advice,
Kevin

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
please use acronis true image to clone(copy) your old drive to the new one.

once you got acronis true image, use it to create a bootable rescue media (cd) then boot from taht cd and clone your drive to the new one.

then replace the drives and it should work, if you get any error, then just pop in your xp cd and do an xp repair on the new drive ;)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
please use acronis true image to clone(copy) your old drive to the new one.

once you got acronis true image, use it to create a bootable rescue media (cd) then boot from taht cd and clone your drive to the new one.

then replace the drives and it should work, if you get any error, then just pop in your xp cd and do an xp repair on the new drive ;)

Done this and it worked as advertised. Once you copy to the new drive make sure you unplug the old one before booting the new one. After the first boot you can put the old one back and format the partition that Windows is on and use the old one for storage if that's what you want to do.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Was over at a friend's house yesterday helping him install a hard drive and he got Acronis 10 and we cloned the drive, went perfectly. It's also supposed to find all the files of a particular type, e.g., music or video, but it was backing up all kinds of stuff, e.g., system files, not just the music files we wanted. Actually, XP Search worked really well finding music files.

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
ya clone duplicates the drive, everything goes in there and if the original drive gets corrupt or anything all you have to do is put in the clone drive.

G

yo are not listening to me, ghost sucks forget it.

You mean Ghost 9 and later suck. I have the corporate version 7.5 and it works great especially cloning over a network connection.

Grumpy

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
yo are not listening to me, ghost sucks forget it.

You mean Ghost 9 and later suck. I have the corporate version 7.5 and it works great especially cloning over a network connection.

Grumpy

corp/pro versions are different they are always way better but you are right.

I use Ghost 10.0...what's the problem people are having? I don't seem to have any with it.

don't worry give it time, some people need to learn their lesson the hardway ;)

G

Sorry but anyone with a username like NewbieTechGodII can't be taken seriously. :D

Grumpy

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I'm not sure what the question was for it to be an answer.

the original question of what is a good backup was answered, its acronis ;)

your experiences are limited to your experiences, we are talking about not only our own but many ohters we have helped/seen

in my forum alone there is only one person that likes ghost and she does not know what she is doing, everybody else loves acronis because it does the job every time can't say that about ghost ;)

but if you google a bit then you see what others thing of ghost also ;)

greasymonkey

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
i hooked up a new pc and i want to transfer all the data including my OS into my new pc. the new pc has a WD 320gb SATA HDD and my old one has a Hitachi 250gb HDD if i use cloning software like caronis will i b able to successfully transfer all the data including the OS???

xaelius

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
Cloning the HDD of the old computer and transferring to the new computer will not work if the old HDD is IDE (unless you already have one working SATA HDD in the old system). Without the SATA host drivers you will get BSOD on startup. I used an ISO of a XP SP2 setup disc and edited it to preload the SATA host drivers at install.