Linkamus

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
Hey guys.. I'm new to the forum. I had a question and I knew this would be the place to ask it so here it goes.

I bought a new samsung DLP TV. It has a VGA input which supports all the resolutions I want to use, but I can't adjust the colors in PC mode on the TV, I can only adjust them from my video card, and I've messed with the settings for endless hours, and I can't get the colors I want. all the colors are just way to vibrant. If I even get them close to how I want them to look, I have to make the TV very dark.. I'm very frustrated, and don't want to have to take the TV back, cause I love it except for this one feature.. So my question is:

Can I go from DVI to HDMI? I know the cable for it exists. But will it work? and if it does work, will I still be able to use all the same resolutions I can use in PC (VGA) mode? I'm pretty sure I can adjust the TV color settings in HDMI mode, so I really wanna know if this will work before I go blow 50 - 100 bucks on a cable. Thanks guys!

custompcz

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The answer is "yes" you can go from DVI to HDMI. Ebay is usually a good place to get cables inexpensively. Mine have all worked well. As previously posted, you will not get audio to the TV unless you take audio from your sound card/motherboard and feed your TV. The arrangement I use is an optical output from my motherboard to my Denon receiver. I also feed my HDMI through my receiver as well. If your even thinking about HDCP, you'll need a compliant video card. My new Gigabyte 8500GT ($100@ newegg) will be using a DVI to HDMI cable for HDCP compliance. Good luck.

russki

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Like most people said, yes it is possible. I am not certain about the DVI / HDMI equivalency, but there are DVI->HDMI cables, and it is still better than component, for example (although you don't really notice it all the time). As a matter of fact I am using one right now from cable box to the TV. Of course, as somebody pointed out, DVI lacks audio, so if you want the sound to go to the TV as well, you'll need two things: a separate audio cable, and TV providing you with the sound inputs for HDMI video input. Of the two HDMI inputs on my TV, only one has that option. To my knowledge, there is no cable that would do DVI+Audio->HDMI, but it's been a while since I looked.

rninneman

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
DVI to HDMI adapters are easily obtainable at any decent electronics store. HDMI was developed after DVI and used DVI as a basis for the video signaling over HDMI. As several people have mentioned, DVI carries no audio. Most TVs have analog audio inputs that correspond to a particular HDMI input, but not all. An analog connection is definitely the most cost effective solution. If your TV does not have analog audio for the HDMI inputs, Gefen makes a device that will convert DVI and coaxial digital audio into an HDMI signal. (Link)

Contrary to popular belief, HDCP is initiated by the source, not the display. When two devices handshake, the source requests the negotiation of HDCP. The source says "Hello, I have content that needs protection; let's get ready to encrypt this signal." This is why a newer HDCP compliant video card will still work with an older non-HDCP monitor. I have yet to run into a TV that wouldn't accept a signal from a computer DVI output. (Resolution compatibility is a whole other issue altogether.)

If you can use DVI/HDMI, it will look better. No guarantees that it will fix your issue though. Just because a TV accepts the signal, doesn't mean it can handle it correctly. You may still end up with a distorted picture. Computer DVI and video DVI have slightly different specifications. Some TVs even have settings to optimize the DVI/HDMI inputs for computers or consumer electronics devices; so check your manual.

Ryan

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
Link,

What the others said.

Go to monoprice and buy yourself the better quality cable to go from DVI to HDMI. Even the better quality cable at monoprice is much much cheaper than other retailers/online..

I currently run DVI to HDMI for my projector at 720P. It looks nice and the color space is good.

You may still have issues though unless your video card can output video in the HDTV color space (some can). Many are stuck in the PC color space.

For info on this you might want to try AVSforums this question has been asked a thousand times there and your specific video card and setup may already be mentioned as well. At least the driver set/settings for ATI/Nvidia should be mentioned.

Hope this helps!