setting up mic with 680i mobo & xfi soundcard

pepperg

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
i have the evga 680i mobo as well as the creative xfi soundcard. i have been unable so far to get the mic on my headset recognized in windows, but the headphones (i have a sennheiser headset that has a mic and headphones, each with their own stereo cable) are working properly when plugged into the front panel on my lian li case. i have the 680i's onboard realtek sound disabled, so i am not expecting to be able to use the mic through that. here's my problem:

i want the creative xfi to handle the all sound for my computer, but annoyingly enough, there aren't enough slots on the card itself for both speakers and headphones, which is quite an oversite on creative's part imo, forcing me to switch between plugging in either my headphones or 4.1 speakers. am i missing something here, or is it impossible for me to have both my 4.1 klipsch speakers (2 stereo cables), my headphones (1 cable, which seems to need to share the line out 1 with 1 of the klipsch speaker cables), and my mic (1 stereo cable) all plugged into my xfi card at the same time?

if so, bad move creative. you guys must know that lots of gamers use headsets, and that many headsets now have both mics and headphones, which requires 2 stereo cables. if i want to use the mic, and i do (for both work and gaming), then there is no way i can plug the mic on it into the creative card and then plug the headphones on the front of the computer.

i bought all my components on newegg at the same time, so i had no way of knowing this would happen.

anyone have any advice?

thanks

my headphone cable isn't long enough to allow me to plug into the front panel while the mic cable is plugged into my creative soundcard.

the mic will however sctetch from the the back of the mobo to the soundcard outputs, but it looks like on the 680i that only the front headphone plug in works if the 680i isn't the default sound setting.

pepperg

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
also, i gave up trying to use the onboard realtek for sound recording, disabled it in bios, and now just have my xfi selected for voice recording. still though when i go to control options- sound controllers and try to set it up, it's still not picking up anything. i have the mic plugged in, it's set to on, and selected as voice recording source in windows. not sure what next.