Can Vista tolerate overclocking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Is Vista able to tolerate over clocking? I over clock my CPU 3.2GHz to 3.36GHz but window vista ultimate continue to crash randomly out of the blue for some reason. I didn't install any new software or drivers.

Has anyone experience Vista crashing randomly?

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Vista does read your hardware differently than XP. If you have problems, take off your OC mods in the BIOS and take it back to standard, you should then be able to adjust your timings to a stable setting again under Vista with no problems, it's just possible that the settings may be slightly different. However, there are some chips that do not read correctly under OC settings that may cause Vista to dump. My ASUS mb had one of those unfortunates, however they fixed the issue with several BIOS updates that eventually lead to a stable system.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
I don't crash... however, after a couple of (early-on) attempts I just gave up on oc'ing in Vista as I really don't need it. Every time I would try to bump the multiplier to 13 (3.46Ghz), Vista would take care of me and reset it. I assume it was just trying to save energy and started screwing with my eist; which was just fine anyways as sometimes it just gets hot in here.

Vista's power-saving efforts could well be the source of your problem too. In XP you can completely defeat it and force your cpu to idle at whatever; I don't see that option in Vista and for me it wasn't worth a follow-up effort. Did I mention, I don't crash (ever) and my log-files are perfectly clean.

good luck

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I don't have any problems o/c ing in vista.. Could be mobo drivers..

it can't be mobo drivers. OC works fine for a week then Vista ultimate just crash. It displayed something about hardware... but there is no mention about drivers.

Is this Vista 6000 version unstable?? Is this final version??

Status
Not open for further replies.