Comcast (Motorola DCT6412) Retrieving Programs

Last response: in Home Theatre
December 9, 2004 3:52:49 PM

I hope I'm not asking in the wrong newsgroup forum. But is there a
way to retrieve the recorded programs off the Motorola DCT6412 and
copy them to my computer? I just got my DVR box today, so I'm a
little exicted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 12:22:05 AM

"hackMonkeySPY" <hackmonkeyspy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I hope I'm not asking in the wrong newsgroup forum. But is there a
> way to retrieve the recorded programs off the Motorola DCT6412 and
> copy them to my computer? I just got my DVR box today, so I'm a
> little exicted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You probably won't be able to move programs from the DCT-6412 to your
computer or to a digital VCR. There are still issues with the
copy-protections flags on cable boxes that have hard drives. It may depend
on your cable company. The hardware must be capable AND the cable company
must enable it.

I talked to my own cable company last week about this issue (Adelphia in
Southern California) and the IEEE 1394 interfaces on the DCT-6412 boxes in
my area are NOT enabled. (Keep in mind that 25% of the answers you get from
a satellite/cable company CSR are usually wrong. </sarcasm>)

On the other hand, the IEEE 1394 interfaces on the DCT-6200 boxes (the
non-DVR ones) ARE enabled in my area. I've been using this box to
time-shift high-def shows using my JVC digital VCR. No reason why it
shouldn't work going to a computer either (which can emulate a JVC VCR if
you are running Windows XP).

So your choice appears to be: time-shift with a DVR box, or time-shift with
a VCR and a non-DVR box.

YMMV.

December 10, 2004 12:22:06 AM

"Walter White" <wsquaredREMOVE-CAPS@gte.net> wrote in message
> "hackMonkeySPY" <hackmonkeyspy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I hope I'm not asking in the wrong newsgroup forum. But is there a
>> way to retrieve the recorded programs off the Motorola DCT6412 and
>> copy them to my computer? I just got my DVR box today, so I'm a
>> little exicted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> You probably won't be able to move programs from the DCT-6412 to your
> computer or to a digital VCR. There are still issues with the
> copy-protections flags on cable boxes that have hard drives. It may
> depend
> on your cable company. The hardware must be capable AND the cable company
> must enable it.
>
> I talked to my own cable company last week about this issue (Adelphia in
> Southern California) and the IEEE 1394 interfaces on the DCT-6412 boxes in
> my area are NOT enabled. (Keep in mind that 25% of the answers you get
> from
> a satellite/cable company CSR are usually wrong. </sarcasm>)
>
> On the other hand, the IEEE 1394 interfaces on the DCT-6200 boxes (the
> non-DVR ones) ARE enabled in my area. I've been using this box to
> time-shift high-def shows using my JVC digital VCR. No reason why it
> shouldn't work going to a computer either (which can emulate a JVC VCR if
> you are running Windows XP).
>
> So your choice appears to be: time-shift with a DVR box, or time-shift
> with
> a VCR and a non-DVR box.
>
> YMMV.
>
> W²

I had it working for awhile with my PC and the 6408 with Comcast.
Then, the copy protection issues started, could only record certain stuff.

Huge thread about it here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&thread...
January 4, 2005 3:51:04 PM

hackMonkeySPY wrote:
> I hope I'm not asking in the wrong newsgroup forum. But is there a
> way to retrieve the recorded programs off the Motorola DCT6412 and
> copy them to my computer? I just got my DVR box today, so I'm a
> little exicted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any Ideas on how to use the Motorola's Ethernet interface to share
video???

Mine seems to be disabled by Adelphia!!!!

Thanks, Jim.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:16:24 PM

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:51:04 -0800, jaimesbeam wrote:

> hackMonkeySPY wrote:
>> I hope I'm not asking in the wrong newsgroup forum. But is there a
>> way to retrieve the recorded programs off the Motorola DCT6412 and
>> copy them to my computer? I just got my DVR box today, so I'm a
>> little exicted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Any Ideas on how to use the Motorola's Ethernet interface to share
> video???
>
> Mine seems to be disabled by Adelphia!!!!
>
> Thanks, Jim.

Does anyone have an idea what IP address it's using? It doesn't seem to
respond to pings on the address that my DHCP server would assign it
(192.168.1.101).

On a separate topic. How much storage space does your unit have. I just
got the Motorola/Comcast dual tuner HD DVR box. I was under the impression
that the dual tuner version had a larger disk but mine can only store 10
hours of HD which by my calculation is probably a 120G disk which is
pretty small.
!