Office 2007 on Vista... "read-only" problem

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
Just upgraded to Vista & Office 2007. Everytime I try and open a document (note they are all word 2000 .doc files), it opens and says:

[read-only] [compatibility mode]

Why is this? I really don't want to have to open and resave all my documents; plus, I shouldn't have to... as before Vista, I installed Office 2007 on my Windows XP machine and opened all the same documents with no "read-only" problem.

Anyone know why this is occuring and how to fix it?

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
wait, the file is not read only, but its folder is... but... ok... the problem gets a bit more complex:

I had 3 HDDs from Windows XP that I had storage on (docs, pics, video, etc.). I just formatted my main HDD clean and put Vista on. Well, apparently every folder on the other drives is now read only... and when I check to change it, I say apply, it asks for permission, I grant, and it says applying to all folders, ok. But nothing changes, and when I go back to properties, it is read only again!!!

What's going on?

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Its normal for a hd with data from an older OS to automatically be set to RO when Vista first sees it because it has no User SID to associate the file properties to. If you go to wherever you want to associate to your new Vista User ID (problably the whole hd if it is a home PC) and go into folder permissions, you should be able to change ownership to your Vista ID for the folder and all subfolders.

Laimutis

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Hello,

We solved this read-only problem with WebDAV in Vista SP1, IE8 and Office 2007 by installing hotfix for KB942392 (http://support.microsoft.com/KB/942392). This hotfix, probably, will be included in Vista SP2.

Laimutis

G

This seems odd, but appears to have worked.

We had Office 2007 users that were receiving the "read only" issue, while Office 2003 users were not. Domain, network share, permissions looked good, etc.

On the document, in office 2003, we went to "tools", "share workbook", then checked the box for allowing multiple people to edit at the same time. Now the file doesn't open in read only mode, but we may have an issue with change control on the file.

it_maniac

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

we had this problem with both Vista, and Windows 7 under MSO 2007 it mainly happened with power point documents, but would happen at random with all office applications. this isn't a solution to the problem but a workable work around. If you right click on the file and select open from the context menu rather than double clicking on the file