All folders on my "other" HDDs marked as read-only!?!

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
So here is my HDD setup:

C:\ SATA drive, system drive. I wiped it clean and installed VISTA.

D:, E:, F: drives are all SATA drives containing all my files (video editing projects, pictures, word documents, etc.) I left this unchanged from XP... again, I just wiped my C:\ clean and installed VISTA. All files/settings on these drives unchanged as they do not contain apps.

ANYWAY... now in VISTA, every folder on my D/E/F drive is marked read only. Every file I open opens as read only. I went into the properties on the folder to uncheck read only. UAC asks for permission, I grant it, and I watch the progress bar as it applies to all folders and subfolders...

Except nothing changes. I go back into properties, and once again, it is read only. WTF???

This is very, very bad... anyone know of this problem and a solution? How do I set my folders/HDDs other than my main system drive back to "normal" so that I can read/write to the files & folders??

Solution
It's not very very bad. Folders can not be read-only<period> Only files can be read only. What you are seeing is an indeterminate state (as in read-only isn't defined for a folder). Perhaps you need to do a bit of research on the difference between the two.

If you can't read, modifiy, or write a file in a folder, it is because you don't have the proper 'rights' to do so. Actually, the best thing for you to research is 'permissions'. Also, you can always make yourself the 'owner' of a folder but I would strongly suggest you should be very careful before doing that on a wholesale basis in your system because that can be very very bad.

joke

Distinguished
May 15, 2005
It's not very very bad. Folders can not be read-only<period> Only files can be read only. What you are seeing is an indeterminate state (as in read-only isn't defined for a folder). Perhaps you need to do a bit of research on the difference between the two.

If you can't read, modifiy, or write a file in a folder, it is because you don't have the proper 'rights' to do so. Actually, the best thing for you to research is 'permissions'. Also, you can always make yourself the 'owner' of a folder but I would strongly suggest you should be very careful before doing that on a wholesale basis in your system because that can be very very bad.

Solution