TotalNoob

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
i just built a new computer and while installing win xp pro, decided to split the 80gig hd into 2 partitions: 40 and 40. i used the partition utility at the beginning of the win xp set up and identified my first partition as 40 gigs. it created that partition just fine. the problem is that now i can only see 40 gigs of my hd (the first partition). for some reason i do not have access to the other 40 gigs.

did i do something wrong here? how can i gain access to both partitions?

also, if i decide that i don't want the partitions, how do i remove them? (this system is brand new with no personal files on it yet so if i have to reformat, it's no big deal).

thanks for your help. :D

TotalNoob

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
now that i think about it, i was never given an option to format the other 40gigs. how would i do that?

is acronis disk director a retail product? i would prefer solving this issue without spending more $$. :D

edklite

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
right click my computer>manage>(left pan)disk management>here in the right pan find your second 40Gb partition right click and choose format on it.

besure you don't acidentally format your os partition

TotalNoob

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
that indeed did it. i was able to partition the remaining portion of my hd. thanks for sharing the info. i'm glad to know about the partition function now. :D

TRENDING THREADS