Sign in with
Your question

Is it advisable to put these on RAID 0? (80 gb and 250 gb)

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 4, 2007 6:29:38 AM

i have two HDD, 80gb and 250 gb, and when i tried putting it on raid... it only has 140 gb something...

my question would be.... is it safe.. or is it advisable to put them on RAID 0 ? even if they have two different size ? they have the same size though.

More about : advisable put raid 250

a b G Storage
May 4, 2007 7:47:53 AM

Its ok, but you WILL lose space. Not sure exactly how its calculated, but some of the capacity of the larger drive is wasted. May be alot of space too considering the difference in size between the two.
May 4, 2007 7:54:36 AM

with your , probably onboard, raid controller, you get 2*80GB = 160 GB
you wast more than 170 GB
so no raid for you, unless you want to lose a lot of space :-s
Related resources
May 4, 2007 8:08:34 AM

I do not recommend RAID 0 in this case. You won't be missing too much in performance by using them separately as the gain of RAID 0 under normal workstation use isn't really noticeable. However, if your goal was to combine both discs into one logical drive you could set it up in a JBOD if your controller supports it. You'd have 330GB in space if you did so. If you're planning to install an OS on these drives I'd recommend using the 80 for your OS and the 250 for storage.
May 4, 2007 10:15:43 AM

Better stick with the Raid Ready Drives or AHCI enabled. I agree with Musky_Melon just to use them separately.
May 4, 2007 11:11:20 AM

i see that on my P5B-e plus mobo.... some...jmicron JBOD raid controller... or something.. but i really dont get it...

i have 6 x SATA, and another SATA JBOD raid controller... and i dont know what that means....

im quite reluctant on putting RAID, is it really that negligible ? (speed-wise)

also... the speed is 7200.9 or something to that effect...

i also feel that the speed and setup of my HDD are bottlenecking my specs...
C2D E6600
8800 Gts 320 mb
2 gb corsair ram...

can anyone enlighten me on these ? help very much appreciated !
May 4, 2007 11:29:36 AM

OR raid identical 250GB/320GB/500GB drives to get most of it. Raid 1+0 might be interesting RAID 10 might be nice for you but requires a lot of hard drives.

RAID 1+0: Mirrored Set + Striped Set (4 disk minimum; Even number of disks) provides fault tolerance and improved performance but increases complexity. Array continues to operate with one failed drive. The key difference from RAID 0+1 is that RAID 1+0 creates a striped set from a series of mirrored drives.

http://ph.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=139...
May 4, 2007 12:27:53 PM

Quote:
i see that on my P5B-e plus mobo.... some...jmicron JBOD raid controller... or something.. but i really dont get it...

i have 6 x SATA, and another SATA JBOD raid controller... and i dont know what that means....

C2D E6600
8800 Gts 320 mb
2 gb corsair ram...

If you want one logical drive JBOD if not then use the 80GB for your OS and the 250 for storage. If you really want to do RAID 0 or RAID 10 purchase matched drives.

Your HDD is only a "bottleneck" when loading from it. What do you do with your PC? If you're just gaming it won't make much of a difference other than the levels loading slightly faster but not too much faster and you'll shave maybe a bar off the Windows boot time. RAID 0 with 7200RPM drives doesn't really increase the speed that much so it really isn't that important. The only reason I have RAID 0 on my PC is because I have identical drives and wanted to combine them to make one logical drive.

JBOD is beneficial if you want to have a partition span multiple disks; combining more than one physical disk to make one logic drive. It's advantage over RAID 0 is that the drives do not need to be matched/identical. There is no performance increase with JBOD nor is there any fault tolerance. You lose one drive and you lose all your data (although recovery is a bit easier but not much with JBOD). Setting up a JBOD will delete all data from all disks in the JBOD. You configure the JBOD on your RAID controller in the same way you would with a RAID only you'd select JBOD instead of RAID 0 and you don't have to worry about stripe size since JBOD does not stripe data.

As for your motherboard, it has more than one controller on it. Mine is the same. I have a ULI controller and a Silicon Image controller. You cannot setup a RAID that spans both controllers. Connect the drive to one group of SATA ports and use the controller that those ports go to for your RAID (you have no choice).

On my motherboard I have a group of four SATA ports for the ULI controller and two, one internal and one external for the Silicon Image controller. You may have to go into your BIOS to change the mode your SATA/RAID controller is in. Usually they are defaulted to SATA mode so you'd have to go in and change it to RAID mode. Upon booting you should see which drives are connect to which controller along with a prompt to enter the RAID configuration. Consult your motherboard's manual for more information.
May 4, 2007 12:39:28 PM

Quote:

C2D E6600
8800 Gts 320 mb
2 gb corsair ram...

Here's the thing. From what you are saying, it does not seem that you really know what you are doing, so it’s best that you don't do it (not to mention it makes no sense whatsoever in your case). Read up on HDD's (so that you can differentiate between spindle speed and model number), read up on RAID levels (you can start with something like Wikipedia, and move on to actually good sources like StorageReview.com and AnandTech.com, with the latter having a couple of decently researched consumer-oriented RAID articles recently). That will at least inform you as to what you are getting into to, and show you that there is absolutely no sense in what you are suggesting.

If you want to move to a faster HDD, I think Tom's recently had an article comparing a bunch of them, but I don't think Seagates were included, nor did they do any real-world tests (limited the article to synthetic benchmarks which has been an alarming trend here at Tom's).

In general, the forums are a good source for asking questions when you can not find an answer elsewhere, but not a good substitute for sound research on your own.

Good luck.
May 4, 2007 12:46:56 PM

wow !! those were really helpful information! thx alot !

also, i would like to make a clarification... assuming i would also be doing some simple and basic animation stuffs (flash, adobe, MAYA) and heavy gaming (oblivion), but no heavy multitasking....

would it really be beneficial if i just dont use raid or jbod (since you pointed that the performance boost is quite NEGLIGIBLE) and just use the 80 gb for os files... and also GAMES and programs... how bout the page file or virtual memory ?

thanks alot !
May 4, 2007 12:56:58 PM

Quote:
wow !! those were really helpful information! thx alot !

also, i would like to make a clarification... assuming i would also be doing some simple and basic animation stuffs (flash, adobe, MAYA) and heavy gaming (oblivion), but no heavy multitasking....

would it really be beneficial if i just dont use raid or jbod (since you pointed that the performance boost is quite NEGLIGIBLE) and just use the 80 gb for os files... and also GAMES and programs... how bout the page file or virtual memory ?

thanks alot !

It's beneficial for you not to use RAID in this case as you do not have the ideal setup for RAID nor would it make any sense to do so. The pagefile should just remain on your 80GB drive with your OS. You have plenty of RAM so you shouldn't be worrying about the pagefile for now. If you really want HDD performance then you're going to have to sink some money into getting more drives. If this is the case, if you really want to do it, there is plenty of information on the web regarding what you should get along with performance measurements. However, considering what you are doing it would be rather pointless unless you're loaded with cash.

Anyway, I really wouldn't worry about it as you're not missing much of anything.
May 4, 2007 1:03:51 PM

w00t w00t !!! now i know what to do!! thanks alot though for the replies! i do have some several questions though on my other topic that you have replied to already... thanks alot dude !!
May 4, 2007 1:41:33 PM

Quote:
i have two HDD, 80gb and 250 gb, and when i tried putting it on raid... it only has 140 gb something...

my question would be.... is it safe.. or is it advisable to put them on RAID 0 ? even if they have two different size ? they have the same size though.

RAID is only adviseable with identical drives, not only size but also brand, model and make.

you obviously haven't a clue of what you are doing. so please stop before you hurt something ;) 
May 4, 2007 1:54:13 PM

Quote:

RAID is only adviseable with identical drives, not only size but also brand, model and make.

you obviously haven't a clue of what you are doing. so please stop before you hurt something ;) 

Don't be rude.
May 4, 2007 1:59:27 PM

w00t w00t !! thx !!

after much speculation and decision... ive decided not to use Raid for the mean time... due to money constraints and lack of knowledge, and lack of use...

thx alot though for the information, next time, i know what to do...
May 4, 2007 2:43:06 PM

Quote:

Don't be rude.

dont make demands
May 4, 2007 2:46:58 PM

Quote:

Don't be rude.

dont make demands

Don't tell me what to do.
May 4, 2007 3:06:27 PM

Quote:

Don't be rude.

dont make demands

make me.
May 4, 2007 3:12:32 PM

Quote:

Don't be rude.

dont make demands

make me.

I like you. Let's be friends.
May 4, 2007 3:15:45 PM

Quote:

Don't be rude.

dont make demands

make me.

okay, you buy beer first.
May 4, 2007 3:17:03 PM

Quote:

Don't be rude.

dont make demands

make me.

You're so controlling. I don't like you anymore.
May 4, 2007 3:36:01 PM

Quote:

Don't be rude.

dont make demands

make me.

You're so controlling. I don't like you anymore.

!