AMD to demonstrate Barcelona on May 10 in SF

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
San Francisco seems alot better than Tunisia.

I heard traffic is just horrible in parts of San Francisco now. After that fiery explosion from a tanker truck, it practically melted part of an overpass causing it to fall to the ground.

On the other hand, the restaurants in Chinatown are pretty good (and Chinatown itself). Golden Gate bridge, Alcatraz, and the weather are great there.

NightlySputnik

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
www.hardocp.com

Looks like AMD will demonstrate Barcelona in San Francisco.

Will we see any benchmark numbers? I certainly hope so. I just hope for AMD that Barcelona is as good as AMD fanboys hope it is, or we might go back to the dark age of Intel dominance :twisted: ... as being alone on the market.

Isn't it funny that we'd been told last year that K10 was cancelled, then that Barcelona was just the first step to a real product line redrawing... and today Barcelona is finally K10 :? . Did they just brought back K10 to give it more importance facing C2D/Q architecture or was it just to keep their card close to their chest? :?: :?: :?:

As long as the new Phenom delivers on performances, I don't really care, but...

Naw, it's not that San Francisco would be a bad place to go. It's the almost 2000-mile trip to get there that would be. It's a non-trivial haul from central Missouri on over to the west coast, and I don't particularly want to pay double rates in renting a car since I'm not 25 yet, so flying would be a PITA. (Yeah, you CAN rent a car if you're over 21 but not 25, it'll just cost ya double.) Maybe if AMD decided to debut it in STL, KC, or even Chicago I'd bite, but California is a bit too far to go unless I had a real reason to go there.

Baron: I'd let them have beer and pigs in a blanket in my backyard as long as one of the execs would be willing to go inside and swap out my X2 4200+ for a Barcelona. Oh, and the city ordinances would prohibit more than 10 people plus alcohol in one location if there's much noise, so they'd need to give my neighbors new computers too to keep them quiet.

mazzapan

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Not sure what you're talking about, we're living during the Booming Bush Economy.. times are good for multinational corporations.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
who cares! demonstrate - that's the key

where are they? are they in amd's imagination?

let me see they can make 1 or 2 so they can "demonstrate "

it counts when i see them on newegg!

who cares! demonstrate - that's the key

where are they? are they in amd's imagination?

let me see they can make 1 or 2 so they can "demonstrate "

it counts when i see them on newegg!

Right - so far, it has been all "barc" and no byte :).

Will be nice to see them finally out but I'll wait until they're on Newegg and at a good price/performance ratio before I get seriously interested. I might drive a hundred miles out of my way to see the world's biggest ball of string or tin foil, but not for a new CPU demo, whether it's AMD or Intel. Unless as Baron mentioned, there's free beer and wieners in a bun :)

eregular

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
well at least some good news.....sure beats nothing...i want to see numbers that CRUSH kentsfield...

even in AMD doesn't edge out intel in most of the 2p/4p benchies i bet anything they can still compete and draw less power!!

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
ya i was making fun of their last "demo"
they opened task manager and didnt do anything else
just let it sit there

It wasn't just sitting there it was showing 100% across all cores. 16 to be exact. That showed that it could handle a full load with 4P Quad Core.

I said it before, if it doesn't flop, you owe every AMD buyer an apology and a promise to

ALL HAIL THE DUOPOLY!!!

well at least some good news.....sure beats nothing...i want to see numbers that CRUSH kentsfield...

even in AMD doesn't edge out intel in most of the 2p/4p benchies i bet anything they can still compete and draw less power!!

Looks like AMD has been quiet on Barcelona for "competitive reasons", but plans on being more outspoken in the near future: Link

Investors also voiced concerns about AMD’s strategy to remain relatively quiet before what the firm called an upcoming “tsunami of new products,” while Intel is heavily promoting the capabilities of its future products. AMD president Dirk Meyer and executive vice president Henri Richard explained the firm’s current strategy with the fact that the firm has become “more cautious” with the details it reveals to the public, as Intel “has begun following” AMD. “There are competitive reasons why we have become more quiet,” Meyer said.

wickedmonster

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006

Looks like AMD has been quiet on Barcelona for "competitive reasons", but plans on being more outspoken in the near future: Link

Investors also voiced concerns about AMD’s strategy to remain relatively quiet before what the firm called an upcoming “tsunami of new products,” while Intel is heavily promoting the capabilities of its future products. AMD president Dirk Meyer and executive vice president Henri Richard explained the firm’s current strategy with the fact that the firm has become “more cautious” with the details it reveals to the public, as Intel “has begun following” AMD. “There are competitive reasons why we have become more quiet,” Meyer said.

The "copying" excuse is a tad lame. CPU designs take years. Intel is not going to revamp Core 2 Duo overnight to match AMD. Investor confidence (stock price) in your company is much more important.

If anything, I think they're having yield issues with Barcelona. Their 65 nm parts are still slower than their 90 nm ones. Also, Barcelona might have a cache problem too. The 65nm K8 had a slower cache than the 90nm ones. Latency might be holding back their performance.

It will be interesting to see if AMD releases any gaming or encoding benchmarks for Barcelona. Since the 8800 GTX is faster than anything AMD has, surely AMD won't bench a Barcelona vs Core2 with an nVidia card. If they bench Barcelona with a Radeon, we might run into a bottleneck with the graphics card. Plus with published numbers already for Half-life2 with Penryn, AMD might not want to show slower numbers than Intel.

In media encoding, since Penryn numbers are already released, anything AMD shows will surely pale in comparison since Penryn uses SSE4. It would be wise for AMD to stay away from media encoding.

Harrisson

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I can pull up taskmanager and using a good video editing program make it look like it is running 100 loaded using 24 cores... ;)
You really think AMD faked 16 cores taskmanager? For some reason I doubt you think like this :roll:

Showing taskmanager on some OS is as impressive as just booting an OS as Intel did in first show. But for some reason former is laughable to some, and later is exciting and thrilling :wink: Bias IMO, but whatever.

Back on topic, Barce. will be shown more and more as time is closing till launch. First behind the doors, now in semi-public gatherings, soon cpu's will "leak" here and there. The reason why AMD is so secretive about it is the lack of Barce definite advantage IMO, especially againts Penryn. They are feaverishly trying to fine tune and tweak the core to be competetive at the launch time and at least for some time after it.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I can pull up taskmanager and using a good video editing program make it look like it is running 100 loaded using 24 cores... ;)
You really think AMD faked 16 cores taskmanager? For some reason I doubt you think like this :roll:
Nobody thinks that AMD faked 16 cores taskmanager. Just Baron was BSing about the 16 cores doing something at all and thats why they were at 100% load. We are just countering his BS, as usual.

Showing taskmanager on some OS is as impressive as just booting an OS as Intel did in first show. But for some reason former is laughable to some, and later is exciting and thrilling :wink: Bias IMO, but whatever.
You are missing the point. AMD showed K10 running task manager and called that a DEMO. That's ridiculous and stupid and showing a running app on a revised CPU is not a big dea. Intel showed their first silicon running multiple OSes. That's a big deal and happens rarely.

Back on topic, Barce. will be shown more and more as time is closing till launch.
Yes, and if we consider the time passed after it announcement it seems that Barcelona(K10) will not appear this year.
First behind the doors, now in semi-public gatherings, soon cpu's will "leak" here and there.
When is "soon"?
The reason why AMD is so secretive about it is the lack of Barce definite advantage IMO, especially againts Penryn.
IMO AMD are secretive about K10 because they need time to improve it. I really don't believe that K10 will counter Penryn. IMO no chances to be even close to Penryn's performance. And my opinion is based on K10 architecture details and speculated frequencies. In the best scenario for K10, according to AMD estimated performance, at 2.6GHz K10 will be fast as 3GHz Clovertown/Kentsfield, in average.

They are feaverishly trying to fine tune and tweak the core to be competetive at the launch time and at least for some time after it.
The core tweaking is already done, they are tweaking their process right now and it seems that they can't pull a rabbit out of their ass. 2.6GHz doesn't sounds impressive to me.

deathbybubba

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I'm surprised no one has brought up the NDA from the tunisia show. If they are showing Barcy and r600 to the public in SF, isn't there going to be a lot of pissed off reporters who went to tunisia and can't say anything for four more days after those who go to SF showing?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I can pull up a task manager that shows my X6800 using 100% load. Exactly what does that show me except that I can load all the Cores at 100%?

Baron is easily fooled when the information comes from his beloved.

By running no programs? If you run a program it doesn't matter if it's a additive loop or even SQL server. 100% load is 100% load.